Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 01-04-2008, 02:17 AM   #85
September

Drives: VW Golf
Personally in the UK i'd fancy a manual - just something about controlling all of that power with a 6 speed manual!

however, IF they do a decent dual clutch DSG Automatic system, then i would have that in a shot.

I had a Golf GTi with paddle shift gear box and 2 clutches and it worked perfectly.

One of the main issues that comes from 'flappy paddle' gear boxes is reliability and speed of gear change.

VW/Audi sorted this out!

I do love the interior - looks wise, its very similar to the concept and people here need to get past the bad plastics - its not finished yet!
September is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #86
rbuzz

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS, 1974 Z28
I registered here at Camaro5 some months ago have to say that I am extremely inpressed with this forum. It is probably the best, most informative source of information on the upcoming Camaro. But I have to plead guilty, I have enjoyed reading and learning about the upcoming Camaro but up until now I have not posted on this forum. As the owner of an all original 74 Z28 and a 02 Camaro SS (as well as a past owner of several other Camaros through the years) I have been eagerly anticipating the newest Camaro. The styling of the 5th generation Camaro is drop dead georgeous. When it finally hits the streets there isn't going to be anything to compare with it. I apologize for my next comment and I don't want to tick anyone off but I don't understand how GM can take the absolutely awesome exterior styling of the new Camaro and combine it with what has to be (in my opinion) one of the most hideous interiors ever designed. I have been involved with cars and the auto business for many years and I realize that these latest photos of the interior show the interior in an unfinished state. I'm sure that the fit and the finish of the final interior will undoubtedly be much better. Even though the pictures are rough I am taking that into consideration and don't hold that against the interior design. I also understand that what one person likes is not necessarily liked by another. All I can say is that I have been making some very definite plans to add another Camaro to the stable, but if Chevrolet doesn't do something to redesign the interior, I may have to reconsider. Even an absolutely stunning exterior can't overcome the absolutely terrible styling of the interior. Again I didn't mean to tick anyone off, but I had to say it like I see it.
rbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #87
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
I think the price point will have an effect - trying to match the Mustang will mean it'll be a bit cheaper. Saying that, I have no beef with the interior - it looks modern and reasonably ergonomic - and I like it. Given it's unfinished state - I'd say most of the plastics aren't production - more likely being used to get the sizing, positioning etc correct first.

Roll on 2009 baby!

(and a RHD version for us Uk'ers please!)
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 AM   #88
September

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisit View Post
I think the price point will have an effect - trying to match the Mustang will mean it'll be a bit cheaper. Saying that, I have no beef with the interior - it looks modern and reasonably ergonomic - and I like it. Given it's unfinished state - I'd say most of the plastics aren't production - more likely being used to get the sizing, positioning etc correct first.

Roll on 2009 baby!

(and a RHD version for us Uk'ers please!)
It has to be right hand drive!! I couldnt cope with the confussion of driving on the left hand side of the road and the left hand side of the car!!

I'm sure somewhere RHD was confirmed but i cant recall where - anybody know!?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #89
willisit

Drives: Vauxhall Monaro VXR
GM stated that all future models would be engineered for RHD - and AutoExpress had an article that hinted that it would come here in RHD - but nothing from the guys building the thing states it's actually happening for sure.

Personally, I've owned 2 993s and 2 DeLoreans in LHD so it's not a huge fuss - but my Monaro is RHD and I'd really prefer the Camaro to be. If it's not coming here in RHD then I doubt I'll be getting one as it's just not sensible for daily use.
2001 Honda CBR 600 F
willisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 AM   #90
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Oh, and a question I pose to the other would-be spy photographers:

So you come across the hottest prototype car in existence, apparently unsupervised and loaded on a car hauler. You go up to photograph it and notice that the door is unlocked with the keys in the ignition. Do you:

A) Inform the driver that he is carrying some precious cargo and should keep better watch over it
B) Take plenty of pictures of every previously unseen angle and plaster them all over the internet
or
C) Hop in, twist the key, and be the first one on your block with a new Camaro
I've read some things by Brenda Priddy and other spy photogs that they generally don't open up the doors of cars or anything that could be construed as breaking and entering, but sometimes even for secret projects, the testers and engineers might open the door and allow a spy photog to get close for a shot for publicity or as a favor (such as, say a tester was really rude or threatening toward a spy photog...they might offer a good up close shot of the car as an apology or to keep the photographer from giving some negative press). If these shots were done by KGP, I can't imagine they would have opened the doors without permission, and would have taken interior shots through the glass, so I'm betting that some of the testers gave them some "assistance."
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #91
September

Quote:
Originally Posted by willisit View Post
GM stated that all future models would be engineered for RHD - and AutoExpress had an article that hinted that it would come here in RHD - but nothing from the guys building the thing states it's actually happening for sure.

Personally, I've owned 2 993s and 2 DeLoreans in LHD so it's not a huge fuss - but my Monaro is RHD and I'd really prefer the Camaro to be. If it's not coming here in RHD then I doubt I'll be getting one as it's just not sensible for daily use.

I'm inclined to agree with you - if its not RHD then chances are I wouldnt get one. Like you said, it just lacks daily use practicality. If all else fails and its LHD, then I'll be looking for VXR8 or similar.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 AM   #92
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
But about the shots....man, on the mainstream blogs and online magazines, and even on the FastLane blog, this thing is taking a beating. It's obvious that there's a long way to go before this is final, but I do like the overall design. I can understand why some people are in panic mode, but I think some people forget this is not a $50,000 car...there's going to be some plastic here and there. I'm sure there's plenty of trim left to be put on the interior and lots of room for some soft touch and chrome finishing to break things up a bit. For instance, the area where the center vents are look as if there's room for more trim to be put around them, as well as around the climate controls. I can't see, after such a dramatic renaissance in GM interiors lately, that on anything other than a completely stripped base Camaro that they'd just leave the main dash panels as huge unbroken slabs of grey plastic. The seats look like they were spares lifted from another car as their color scheme doesn't even seem to match the rest of the interior, so I expect they're still figuring those out. Still not a fan of the center gauges, but they are clearer to read than the ones in the show car. And the little turn signal indicators in the main gauge bezels appear to be gone, which is a bit of a disappointment. I thought those were cool. The steering wheel looks a bit goofy, like a bumper car steering wheel. GM has some good wheels that make the airbag less pronounced, so I hope that gets revised a bit.

Love how the door panels are coming along...they look fantastic. I love the soft touch door pull and the chrome handle. The climate controls and radio appear to have some well thought-out intuitive controls while still bringing over some of the show car style. The main gauges look pretty sharp...giving things a nice retro feel

Overall, coming along very nicely, I think. Can't wait to see what they come up with for trim, texturing, and such.

I certainly didn't expect to see something as cool as this when I trudged into work Thursday.
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:21 AM   #93
35th02ss

Drives: 02 SS
Ok here is a response from Scott. Please read and like he said save your judgement until the final car comes out.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2446
35th02ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #94
KevinK

Drives: '02 SS 345/M6 conv.
...I'm not even sure where to start...
It's admittely 'cool' there are now 'spy shots' of the interior out there, ...and I'm as eager as anyone to look in every corner of the photo to try and pick out details. What's this? ...Hey what's that? ...this or that doesn't look right. I hate it!, ...I love it! ...there's duct tape all over the place (really).
It's way cool to observe, ...but way too early to pass judgement (let alone based on unofficial photos). I'm sure you've seen Scott's post (if you haven't, check it out http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2446 ). This thing is a work in progress, probably (actually not probably, ...was) beat around the track every which way but loose (given the glue and duct tape holding it together ). Of course it's going to be dirty inside, ...and rough looking in various (most) areas.
I think what we can gather from these photos is very "general" things, ...they kept the console gauges for example (may not be exactly what the final version will look like, ..but they are there). The general layout of things, ...that's about it.
I was involved in the Camaro summit at the proving grounds, ...we weren't told any 'big secrets', ...so it's not like I 'know it all', ...I don't. But I can say this, ...one of MY concerns was the interior, ...my comment was something to the effect, ..."The exterior styling of the new Camaro will get people to look at it, ...the interior will make or break the deal. Once they sit in it, ...they're either going to want one, ...or walk away." Many of US (as in enthusiasts) are more concerned with what's under the hood, suspension, braking, etc., ...but a LOT of people (hopefully) will buy the car because of it's styling.
I've talked about this with a number of people (directly involved with the car) , that the car needs to have a great interior, ...layout, design, 'creature features', comfort, etc. using Cadillac as an example. At the 40th Camaro event in Detroit I was re-reminded by one of them, ...."you will be very pleased with the interior, ...just wait and see." With this, I think about the interior of the new Malibu (which I think looks great), ...I trust and have faith that the Camaro interior will turn out just fine, ...and I can not wait to see it...

...kudos to Scott for not giving up, ...and through the thick of it all, ...still having the energy to come up with another ..."Keep the Faith..." message
KevinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #95
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuzz View Post
I registered here at Camaro5 some months ago have to say that I am extremely inpressed with this forum. It is probably the best, most informative source of information on the upcoming Camaro. But I have to plead guilty, I have enjoyed reading and learning about the upcoming Camaro but up until now I have not posted on this forum. As the owner of an all original 74 Z28 and a 02 Camaro SS (as well as a past owner of several other Camaros through the years) I have been eagerly anticipating the newest Camaro. The styling of the 5th generation Camaro is drop dead georgeous. When it finally hits the streets there isn't going to be anything to compare with it. I apologize for my next comment and I don't want to tick anyone off but I don't understand how GM can take the absolutely awesome exterior styling of the new Camaro and combine it with what has to be (in my opinion) one of the most hideous interiors ever designed. I have been involved with cars and the auto business for many years and I realize that these latest photos of the interior show the interior in an unfinished state. I'm sure that the fit and the finish of the final interior will undoubtedly be much better. Even though the pictures are rough I am taking that into consideration and don't hold that against the interior design. I also understand that what one person likes is not necessarily liked by another. All I can say is that I have been making some very definite plans to add another Camaro to the stable, but if Chevrolet doesn't do something to redesign the interior, I may have to reconsider. Even an absolutely stunning exterior can't overcome the absolutely terrible styling of the interior. Again I didn't mean to tick anyone off, but I had to say it like I see it.
What in particular is so absolutely hideous about the interior of the Camaro?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #96
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuzz View Post
The 2002 F-bodies IMO, have one of the most dated and unattractive interiors. But once you step on the throttle and feel that LS1 push you back in the seat, all is forgotten. I think the 5th gens' interior will be much better than an '02. Muscle cars are always high on performance and low on esthetics. Based on what's been seen so far of the pre-production interior, it will be much better than the current Mustang interior once its finalized. As long the car is comfortable to drive and can blow away the competition in horsepower and acceleration, nothing else really matters.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #97
racerw

Drives: Truck
Transporter cars.....

Top right is the Pontiac G8 ST (sporttruck), based off the G8 from Holden (GM), and the Wagon is the Pontiac G8 SW (sportwagon), based on the same platform. Motor Trend magazine Feb 2008 confirm both builds. I have not heard of any official names of the products as of yet. yes the St would be a modern day El Camino basically. Enjoy.
racerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 PM   #98
Outrun

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th02ss View Post
Ok here is a response from Scott. Please read and like he said save your judgement until the final car comes out.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2446

Outrun is offline   Reply With Quote