Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #967
FreddyG

Drives: 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
No, not at all! That is exactly the point I'm making. My personal preference would be a manual, but if it were only offered in an auto and this was my dream car, I'd shrug my shoulders and say 'oh well, auto it is I guess!' I'd never say if I can't have it exactly my way I won't get one! Some of the replies on here border on a tantrum. I have no problem with a choice. I'm simply talking about those that are losing their minds if no choice is offered. It's so strange to me.
Gotcha! I thought that you were being a smart aleck because you called auto peeps lazy or incompetent! I felt attacked for having a different opinion than you and that does't seem to be the case! I apologize if I took it out of text.

Thanks for explaining and I do agree with you in that if it was my dream car, I'd take it how I could get it! However, it's got the makings of a Great car, but not my dream car and if it came in A6, I'd give it some Serious thought, but at this point in time, the M6 just isn't to my liking (no offense meant, just stating how I feel).

Back to our regularly scheduled programming!
FreddyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #968
Ltespd

Drives: 2010 SS, 2006 SC Saleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
Having a preference for an auto is fine, but if one isn't available and the reason for not getting a ZL1 is that their wife can't drive a stick, then I would be non-PC enough to say man up & teach her. If she doesn't want to learn to drive a stick, then she doesn't get to drive it.
My wife doesnt drive stick. Doesn't want to. I asked her when we buy a ZL1 should we get the auto. She said "no I wouldn't do that to you".
Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #969
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltespd View Post
My wife doesnt drive stick. Doesn't want to. I asked her when we buy a ZL1 should we get the auto. She said "no I wouldn't do that to you".

She's a keeper.

You have chosen... wisely.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:01 PM   #970
Ltespd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
She's a keeper.

You have chosen... wisely.
Thanks...and she loves cars too! I got lucky.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #971
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
For those of you that seem to be losing your mind over the possibility of having no auto option - unless you're physically disabled, what is the big deal? I get that your preference is an auto, but why is it such an absolute deal-breaker? Surely you can't be THAT lazy or THAT incompetent that you could say 'I totally LOVE this ZL-1 and would pay my $50k tomorrow but NOT if I have to drive a manual!' Seriously? How can something like that turn you off of a sports car??
Well for me personally, I do not want a manual. It old technology and with today's stop and go traffic; you be a fool to buy a manual on a car. Everything from all the manufacturers with the exception of GM and Ford; have automatics or DCTs. Sure you will find in Europe; subcompacts with manual still but they are like the size of the SMART car and Fiat 500 size vehicles.

I will not buy a manual! I use a manual for 6 years in college and out and I like it when the highways and streets were not congested but in today's world; you cannot trade in a manual vehicle without taking a big hit on it and some dealership strongly suggest keeping it and trying to resell it yourself. Plus, with all the supercars using DCT -(Porsche, Aston, Marsetti, Lamborgini, Ferrari, Bentley, Veyron and even upscale cars are getting into the DCT like BMW, Mercedes-Automatic, Audi, etc...); it make one look stupid to be using crap technology - a 6 speed manual!
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #972
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post
Well for me personally, I do not want a manual. It old technology and with today's stop and go traffic; you be a fool to buy a manual on a car. Everything from all the manufacturers with the exception of GM and Ford; have automatics or DCTs. Sure you will find in Europe; subcompacts with manual still but they are like the size of the SMART car and Fiat 500 size vehicles.

I will not buy a manual! I use a manual for 6 years in college and out and I like it when the highways and streets were not congested but in today's world; you cannot trade in a manual vehicle without taking a big hit on it and some dealership strongly suggest keeping it and trying to resell it yourself. Plus, with all the supercars using DCT -(Porsche, Aston, Marsetti, Lamborgini, Ferrari, Bentley, Veyron and even upscale cars are getting into the DCT like BMW, Mercedes-Automatic, Audi, etc...); it make one look stupid to be using crap technology - a 6 speed manual!
WOW, that's insulting!!!
In my opinion it's a Musclecar. Meaning it's not perfectly refined in fact it's beastly. And I would control this beast hands on!
GIVE ME THE STICK!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #973
ZL1/AJ

Drives: -_- !!!
Talking

when this car saw day light , i've been dreaming about her
{ and notice i called the car HER instead of IT } all day long

hell ya i want an A6/shifter , but if this car came only in M6 im gonna buy it without even thinking about it

heck ill buy it even if it had an ice-cream stick as a shifter
ZL1/AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #974
Ltespd

Quote:
...it make one look stupid to be using crap technology - a 6 speed manual!
So I guess if you buy a Z06, ZR1, GT500, Porsche 911 GT3, Subaru Impreza WRX STi...etc you look stupid.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #975
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
Quote:

Take it from a European: most of the cars being sold here are still manuals, not automatics.

Out of all the cars I have owned (a.o. 10BMWs, 2 Land Rovers, a Lotus Elise, TVR Tuscan), only two were equipped with an automatic gearbox. Not by choice, but unfortunately BMW stopped making manuals for their big diesels (daily long distance driver). Same for the Range Sport that I replaced the 525d with, they simply don't come with a manual gearbox.

When the Tuscan (4 liter SC, 500+bhp for a 1160kg or 2260-ish lbs car) needed a rebuild I deliberately chose NOT to have the "high tech" sequential gearbox in the car, as I like to drive using heel and toe, double clutching and left foot braking, both on the road and on the track...

With an auto I feel like I could leave my left leg at home, it's only dead weight anyway...
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #976
Sleestack

Drives: '07 SRT8 SuperBee, '09 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Take it from a European: most of the cars being sold here are still manuals, not automatics.

Out of all the cars I have owned (a.o. 10BMWs, 2 Land Rovers, a Lotus Elise, TVR Tuscan), only two were equipped with an automatic gearbox. Not by choice, but unfortunately BMW stopped making manuals for their big diesels (daily long distance driver). Same for the Range Sport that I replaced the 525d with, they simply don't come with a manual gearbox.

When the Tuscan (4 liter SC, 500+bhp for a 1160kg or 2260-ish lbs car) needed a rebuild I deliberately chose NOT to have the "high tech" sequential gearbox in the car, as I like to drive using heel and toe, double clutching and left foot braking, both on the road and on the track...

With an auto I feel like I could leave my left leg at home, it's only dead weight anyway...
Liking those TVRs btw, my friend drove me around London for a day on one. Turned a few heads. They would sell like hotcakes in the USA!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #977
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's a choice....
Old 05-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #978
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
lol..soo after 979 replies and 1874 votes...we've concluded that the answer to this thead is.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It's a choice....
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #979
ZL1/AJ

Drives: -_- !!!
ZL1/AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #980
StlRomAniaN

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestack View Post
Liking those TVRs btw, my friend drove me around London for a day on one. Turned a few heads. They would sell like hotcakes in the USA!
False. European cars are trending towards paddle-shifted gearboxes. Manuals are almost getting phased out with exception to Lotus. They still seem swayed to the manual side even though they just developed a new DCT.