Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #99
Calvin

Drives: 2009 Camaro eventually
Hey guys i'm new here just thought i'd tell you what i've heard from my uncle on the subject.

-Zeta Platform
-Independent Rear
-6.0 Litre LS2 Pushrod Engine
-21in cast iron wheels front
-22in cast iron wheels rear
-14 antlock disks
-Sheet Metal and Fiber Glass Body

So from what I've heard from my uncle(who i consider my GM insider) it should be a light car. Just my two cents. Sorry if this has already been said and rejected but i didn't read everything yet. and yes I know that its not fact till its in production but i have to pass the time somehow...

---Calvin
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #100
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
-Zeta Platform
-Independent Rear
-14 antlock disks
I still can't get by why people say this. You need to understand, I'm not bashing your uncle. But he is telling you what he has heard from the press, and hasn't kept up on the news. The LS2 will be dead as of 2008 +/- a year.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #101
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I still can't get by why people say this. You need to understand, I'm not bashing your uncle. But he is telling you what he has heard from the press, and hasn't kept up on the news. The LS2 will be dead as of 2008 +/- a year.
First, welcome to the site! and second...

Because that's what was said for the concept. And, it doesn't help that GM keeps making things that say LS2 on it like the new shirt I got a few weeks ago. We all know it's dead, but why in the heck does GM continue to market the LS2? Why don't they cut to the chase and just print a freakin shirt w/ Camaro...LS3...450hp??? GM...the LS2 is over.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #102
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
Hey guys i'm new here just thought i'd tell you what i've heard from my uncle on the subject.

-Zeta Platform
-Independent Rear
-14 antlock disks

So from what I've heard from my uncle(who i consider my GM insider) it should be a light car. Just my two cents. Sorry if this has already been said and rejected but i didn't read everything yet. and yes I know that its not fact till its in production but i have to pass the time somehow...

---Calvin
Welcome to the forum

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:41 AM   #103
Mr. Wyndham

Because people believe it, AND because the "Camaro" isn't out yet. The Concept Camaro is. It's even listed on their site's as Concept Camaro and they tell you what IT has, not what the real one will have...(sigh)
Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #104
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I know...just wishing they could cut to the chase already.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:05 AM   #105
Mr. Wyndham

Too True...
Old 05-03-2007, 05:08 PM   #106
BadGoat

Drives: 2004 GTO
The blower verson sounds to good to be true to me. I would be surprised to see GM do that.
BadGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:55 AM   #107
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGoat View Post
The blower verson sounds to good to be true to me. I would be surprised to see GM do that.
I was thinking the same thing but GM does have a lot of S/C'd veh's out there. They know what they are doing w/ a roots style blower. It supposedly is more reliable and offers better torque throughout the power curve. Everyone else is coming out with more power all the time and if GM can one up'em w/ a S/C, then why not? I'd go for the S/C any day.....just don't think the pocket book would allow for it.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #108
Mr. Wyndham

You know...S/C are great and all. But that is one of two things that makes me so proud of GM.

They make high power engines that are almost impossible for competition to beat using the same displacement, and these engines are most of the time - pushrod!. If GM were to go OHC or DOHC, they'd destroy the competition with the technology they have thanks to pushrod advancements!.

Second, on top of these "disadvantaged" engines(compared to the competition), they almost never use a supercharger on the higher end cars. i.e. Monte Carlo, Impala, Corvette, and most Camaro's, they achieve amazing power with pure displacement! I love the General....

The forigners are always pushing out as much power as they possibly can through dual blowers, and Cam advancement, and a whole host of other things because they don't know how else to get the numbers we gain relatively easily...

It makes me feel like I picked the right side...
Old 05-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #109
CBR9Seadoo

Drives: 02 Millenium Yellow Vette Conv
Send a message via AIM to CBR9Seadoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You know...S/C are great and all. But that is one of two things that makes me so proud of GM.

They make high power engines that are almost impossible for competition to beat using the same displacement, and these engines are most of the time - pushrod!. If GM were to go OHC or DOHC, they'd destroy the competition with the technology they have thanks to pushrod advancements!.

Second, on top of these "disadvantaged" engines(compared to the competition), they almost never use a supercharger on the higher end cars. i.e. Monte Carlo, Impala, Corvette, and most Camaro's, they achieve amazing power with pure displacement! I love the General....

The forigners are always pushing out as much power as they possibly can through dual blowers, and Cam advancement, and a whole host of other things because they don't know how else to get the numbers we gain relatively easily...

It makes me feel like I picked the right side...
What is the line? "There is no replacement for displacement!"

1969 z/28 RS in Hugger Orange w/Black Stipes and Orange Houndstooth

1966 Mustang Fastback c-code 289

1988 IROC all original 34k mi

2002 Millenium Yellow Corvette Convertible - sold
1967 Mustang Coupe w/289 - sold
CBR9Seadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #110
BadGoat

Drives: 2004 GTO
GM's thinking with the Chevrolet line in the past has been, reliabilty and longevity. That's what makes me think it will be long shot for S/C verson. I would rather see a bigger displacement N/A motor than F/I. Iv'e always felt like the other brand (Ford) has had to rely on F/I to make their cars fast. I.E. the Cobra. Take the blower off of it what do you have? I guess I'm just to old school. I agree, There is no replacement for displacement!
BadGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #111
LSxcellent

Drives: MINI Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR9Seadoo View Post
What is the line? "There is no replacement for displacement!"
I very much agree (and FWIW, so does my gf! )

My only complaint is that companies like BMW can make 500hp with 5 liters (in the new M5), whereas it takes GM 7 liters (in the LS7) to achieve the same power... They are either leaving a LOT on the table (~200hp) or they cannot make the most of the displacement they are using. That being said, the LS7 is actually LIGHTER than the S85 even though it has 40% more displacement!

___BMW S85 5-liter V-10___
WEIGHT - 529lbs (240kg)
POWER - 507hp (378kW) @ 7750rpm
TORQUE - 383 ftlb (520Nm) @ 6100rpm

___Corvette LS7 7 Liter V-8___

WEIGHT - 458lbs
POWER - 505 horsepower @ 6200 rpm
TORQUE - 475 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4800 rpm

Interesting comparison...

LSx
LSxcellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #112
missionbrent
Bringing the Sexy Back

Drives: 73GMC/05Jeep/07Cobalt/Ninja
Hopefully they do come out with a blown version of the new Camaro. Something to lay the GT500 to rest.

Plus the idea of a Camaro than can be modified to over 800hp on stock internals like the Terminator Cobras and GT500, one can only hope.

Food for thought, A kenne bell will put both the GT500 and the Terminator in the low 9s on their stock internals. Imagine the Camaro.

I would take something like that with a bow tie on it over a blue oval any day.

Also the stock longevity of a roots style blower setup is very good. Roots style blowers don't put as much stress on an engine as a turbo or centrifugal, and since they make so much power at very low RPMs when driven correctly they can actually improve fuel economy.
missionbrent is offline   Reply With Quote