Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #113
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home

lib·er·ty
/ˈlibərdē/
noun
the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #114
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Sketti, I really hope you and 2SSRS can get this worked out. I REALLY want to have some afterburners.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #115
Dion_1969

Drives: ABM 2SS/RS LS3
Send a message via Yahoo to Dion_1969
I don't know if anyone has suggested this but could this be a bank of red LED's at the top of the housing that has a lip shielding them from being seen directly and in front of a dark lens (diffuser?). The running lights are seen reflected in the chrome at the bottom. The brake light is a separate light behind the lens. Sorry for the lousy picture.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #116
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Did some more playing. There may be a way to get kinda close without too much pain.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #117
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I understand why they can't help... Especially with brake and running lights, DOT is all up in their face about spec's we don't have to deal with. The aftermarket light does need to be bright enough though, without being too bright.
Right...that's the main reason they couldn't put those lights on. Gov't standards for visible light, etc. Same reason the side-markers had to be enlarged...:(

I don't mean to be 'that guy'...but I haven't been following the thread. Have you boys tried to make a dual-layered light? The afterburner would have been concealed LEDs on the bottom, reflecting off of some chrome bezeling and out, and the brake light would be exposed LEDs on the top.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #118
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Right...that's the main reason they couldn't put those lights on. Gov't standards for visible light, etc. Same reason the side-markers had to be enlarged...:(

I don't mean to be 'that guy'...but I haven't been following the thread. Have you boys tried to make a dual-layered light? The afterburner would have been concealed LEDs on the bottom, reflecting off of some chrome bezeling and out, and the brake light would be exposed LEDs on the top.
No disrespect But i tried that and it did not work, I am on hold for right now, I tried to fix the hosing but 275 in the oven is to hot as the hosing was destroyed have a new tail light coming and will get back to it soon.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #119
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
No disrespect But i tried that and it did not work, I am on hold for right now, I tried to fix the hosing but 275 in the oven is to hot as the hosing was destroyed have a new tail light coming and will get back to it soon.
The idea I had in mind would need to be manufactured as a new part...probably via injection-molding.

I don't think the stock lights could be retro-fitted.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #120
Sketti

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
From looking at the photos I believe the afterburner lights consist of 2 seperate enclosed chambers. The first chamber is the bottom/side area which is the tail lights. You will note the longer and more slanted plastic compare to our current lights. This provides for a more elongated effect. The 2nd chamber is the brake light area. In order to get the lights to look like the after burner effect you have to block each chamber’s lighting from shining into the other chamber. So when you step on the brake, the light only shines in the brake light chamber and visa versa. It appears that the plastic (tail light) needs to be modified somewhat to get the glowing effect and the brake light chamber needs to have the darker plastic to emulate the after burn effect.
Sketti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #121
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
The idea I had in mind would need to be manufactured as a new part...probably via injection-molding.

I don't think the stock lights could be retro-fitted.
There i agree !00% but that is a lot of $ as all 4 are not the same size and shape.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM   #122
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
This isn't the same effect, but it does look cool!

lib·er·ty
/ˈlibərdē/
noun
the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #123
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
There i agree !00% but that is a lot of $ as all 4 are not the same size and shape.
Yeah, that's true too...I hadn't given the housing a heck of a lot of thought, to tell you the truth. Only the light-portion.....

What if the light portion was universal...attached via a rubber bushing or something into the stock housings. Once size fits all?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #124
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Has anyone considered using paint to mimic the fade effect? We could allow even light on the outside of the reflective piece, but we could use paint to fade it to black from the inside out. Closer to the light source, the surface would be more reflective than toward the outer lens. This could accommodate the lack of distance from the front to the rear of the light that the concept had and the production model lacks.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #125
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
The big problem is that the existing housing has a step in it that makes a nice, front-to-back fade impossible. I'm sure that we'll all keep plugging at it, but the best fix is a new housing.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #126
2SSRS@Gen5diy

That is what i tried to do, Get the housing hot, It got too hot and did not work, But i have one more idea and it calls for silver tape and bondo I will fill the step in the housing and then use silver tape to make it work.