Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
rocknrollcali87

Drives: 1969 Chevrolet Camaro
Rear Seats & Seat Belts

You know what I wanted to bring up was the seatbelts

I'm wondering if there are actually going to put that GM badging on the seat belt locking mechanism just like in the 1st gens. Or how adjustable the seatbelt will be for different drivers, I hope they won't be digging into my neck too much. And lastly, the rear seats

How comfortable will they be for passengers and what type of seatbelt system will the use for the middle seat? Lap belt or a safer middle belt that actually secures you in like the side seats?

It's 4 fat guys in a Geo up a hill, we can't go any faster!!
rocknrollcali87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
While it's possible we may see some sort of GM symbol on the seatbelt locking mechanism, it's highly unlikely. The locking mechanisms GM uses on all their cars today are of the quick release type (pretty much an industry standard now), and the release button is orange for easy visibility while the rest of the buckle is interior color.

Don't hold your breath for rear seat comfort. While it may be a bit better than the 4th gens, it's still going to be a 2+2 coupe.

I doubt there will be a middle rear seat. If there is, it will be just comfortable enough for a small child on short trips. I'm sure it will have a shoulder harness, though. I think that is required on all available seating positions for 5 star safety ratings.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
While it's possible we may see some sort of GM symbol on the seatbelt locking mechanism, it's highly unlikely. The locking mechanisms GM uses on all their cars today are of the quick release type (pretty much an industry standard now), and the release button is orange for easy visibility while the rest of the buckle is interior color.

Don't hold your breath for rear seat comfort. While it may be a bit better than the 4th gens, it's still going to be a 2+2 coupe.

I doubt there will be a middle rear seat. If there is, it will be just comfortable enough for a small child on short trips. I'm sure it will have a shoulder harness, though. I think that is required on all available seating positions for 5 star safety ratings.

I'm not so sure they've confirmed 2+2. There was some talk a while ago that it might seat 3 in the back.... I'll keep looking to see if I can find that thread.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Wouldn't it almost have to be 2+2 b/c of the drive shaft tunnel?
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I don't know if any one has verified this yet. Maybe the guys that went on the proving grounds tour can answer this.

It's a whole new chassis so there may not be the tunnel like we're used to seeing in camaros. I'm gonn reread that thread and see if they said anything about the rear seats.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The concept is seating for 4. Expect the same out of the production model. That means bucket seats for all passengers with some sort of barrier between rear passengers.

The seat belt is probably the least of GM's priorities, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the traditional GM chrome locking mechanism. It was an unnecessary detail for the concept, so drawing attention to it suggests that GM wants to bring them back. I good indicator of this would be whether the Corvette would be getting them in the future. Obviously, spy shots wouldn't reveal this since prototypes and mules aren't equipped like production models. Until GM releases final interior photos, we won't know.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
1st Gen Forever
ZL1 #140

Drives: Camaros: 68 SS, 10 2SS/RS, 12 ZL1
I was at the proving grounds...

I don't think the test mules have back seats. Car we looked at didn't. In fact I'd be extremely surprised if even the front seats in the mules are anything close to production. The color sure didn't match!
1st Gen Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I guess that means some more "wait and see". Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I guess that means some more "wait and see". Thanks guys.
It does, but we've hit the home stretch. There's not a lot more waiting to go before someone leaks what we want to know or GM releases official information. We're looking at knowing everything from how the headlights and interior will look to pricing by the end of August. That's only 4 months away.

Obviously, top trim and convertible information will be released later as they are anticipated to be released almost a year later.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Gen Forever View Post
I was at the proving grounds...

I don't think the test mules have back seats. Car we looked at didn't. In fact I'd be extremely surprised if even the front seats in the mules are anything close to production. The color sure didn't match!
Yep, none of the ones we saw had back seats...BUT to confirm, there was no driveshaft tunnel either!
Old 04-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Yep, none of the ones we saw had back seats...BUT to confirm, there was no driveshaft tunnel either!
That's good news! There's a little hope for three seats.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Slave One

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
That would be sweet... could put the little one in his carseat in the middle of the backseat and make the wife happy!!

Another way to justify my purchase!!!!
Slave One is offline   Reply With Quote