Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 PM   #17095
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
LT5? I agree a Z/28 is dependent on an engine we don't know about.
I don't think so......the Z/28 engine would likely be the LT1 / Dry Sump that is in this GT4.R.....and likely make more HP in Street form than the GT4.R race version. I have always felt that the Gen 6 Z/28 would be dry sump like the LS7...and how here it is.

This would be identical to the Gen 5 LS7 in the Z/28 being the same engine as that in the Z/28.R - with the R version "de-tuned" a bit for GT4 specs. Been a while since I looked at some of the Gen 5 R specs but for some reason I was thinking that RPM's were limited to 6,400 and perhaps throttle body or something else was limited for the series.

I was hoping for more HP in the Gen 6 Z/28, but given the GT4.R news this week I'm betting it is this version of the LT1.........

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:13 PM   #17096
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
How do they get from here to there with the engines they have?
Remember the discussions we had about what engine the 2014 Z/28 would get once we knew they were going to build one?? A few of us (including me) thought it would be the LS7 and most said no way. But that is what we got. Thank you to the folks at GM once again.

Well, here we are again. Are we sure they are going to make a Z/28, or when? We surely don't know what engine might be in it. But the suggestions are intriguing to be sure. Staying tuned...
Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #17097
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
I don't think so......the Z/28 engine would likely be the LT1 / Dry Sump that is in this GT4.R.....and likely make more HP in Street form than the GT4.R race version. I have always felt that the Gen 6 Z/28 would be dry sump like the LS7...and how here it is.

This would be identical to the Gen 5 LS7 in the Z/28 being the same engine as that in the Z/28.R - with the R version "de-tuned" a bit for GT4 specs. Been a while since I looked at some of the Gen 5 R specs but for some reason I was thinking that RPM's were limited to 6,400 and perhaps throttle body or something else was limited for the series.

I was hoping for more HP in the Gen 6 Z/28, but given the GT4.R news this week I'm betting it is this version of the LT1.........
Restrictor plate behind the throttle body suffocated the engine down to 470hp...though the article I read mentioned that was thanks to BoP calculations as opposed to any race rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
Remember the discussions we had about what engine the 2014 Z/28 would get once we knew they were going to build one?? A few of us (including me) thought it would be the LS7 and most said no way. But that is what we got. Thank you to the folks at GM once again.

Well, here we are again. Are we sure they are going to make a Z/28, or when? We surely don't know what engine might be in it. But the suggestions are intriguing to be sure. Staying tuned...
The only difference is...the LS7 existed...and despite the naysayers, there was plenty of evidence to suggest it was a possibility. Including an LS7 Camaro concept years prior...

But now? I truly hope they surprise the hell out of us...but we're grasping at nothing but straws right now...

Quote:
Also for those that care I am told from a guy who knows a guy the 2018 Mustang will have 470 HP. And I know the guy the guy knows and I believe he knows....or at least I know he has a nose.
That refresh sure has a nose...

If that car comes with 470 hp...it will be truly interesting to read the comparisons...I even read they might be putting Performance Pack handling stuff on it standard....this is Ford's chance to not get dismissed for performance in the "regular" trim levels.

Though...as I did some research for this post, I came across a Ford ad....

"Mustang, America's #1 Sports car for over 45 years*......
*based on 1970 through 2015 CY sales"

....ah, marketing. I wish GM would get good at it......
Old 02-10-2017, 06:07 AM   #17098
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
If anything has been true it is that Corvette and to some degree Cadillac have been the test platform for Camaro engines. This has been true across LS and LT series so far...
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #17099
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
A 470 hp Mustang. I really wish GM would increase the power of their engines the same way Ford does.

The other issue is with the Coyote getting upgraded, so will the Voodoo. If that's the case, it will be making closer to 550 hp. I don't think the LT1 is anywhere near appropriate for a Z/28.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #17100
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
The ZL1 is putting down 554 RWHP and 532 RWTQ.

Assuming the Z/28 gets a set of track wheels and sticky tires along with CC brakes, 470 minimum at the rear wheels is what it will take to be competitive with a ZL1 by my guess-culations on a road course. This further assumes weight savings of 100 to 200 pounds and improved handling with less nose weight. Those are pretty aggressive figures.

If I had my choice, there would be a 427 putting down 500. 500 NA gets you close to the performance of 550 SC ponies, maybe a bit better ;-) Too bad I don't see that power plant in GM's lineup or future, but I would love to be wrong.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #17101
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post

Yes Deja vu. I remember most of the Houze faithful's believing that and all the bs we received for it.

Quote:
The ZL1 is putting down 554 RWHP and 532 RWTQ.

Assuming the Z/28 gets a set of track wheels and sticky tires along with CC brakes, 470 minimum at the rear wheels is what it will take to be competitive with a ZL1 by my guess-culations on a road course. This further assumes weight savings of 100 to 200 pounds and improved handling with less nose weight. Those are pretty aggressive figures.

If I had my choice, there would be a 427 putting down 500. 500 NA gets you close to the performance of 550 SC ponies, maybe a bit better ;-) Too bad I don't see that power plant in GM's lineup or future, but I would love to be wrong.
I would love to see another 427! I might would have to purchase a stablemate. I will say the LT1 is more stout than I'd have thought. I took the GS out the other day and was going 45-50 in first gear threw it into second (didn't even completely floor it) and the backend broke loose and was spinning (not chirping) the tires!, till I got out of the power some. It was very controllable...I was shocked it could do that.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #17102
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes Deja vu. I remember most of the Houze faithful's believing that and all the bs we received for it.

I would love to see another 427! I might would have to purchase a stablemate. I will say the LT1 is more stout than I'd have thought. I took the GS out the other day and was going 45-50 in first gear threw it into second (didn't even completely floor it) and the backend broke loose and was spinning (not chirping) the tires!, till I got out of the power some. It was very controllable...I was shocked it could do that.
You have a Bad Axx ride
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #17103
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post

All good thoughts. We've discussed a version of the LT1 with higher HP before. That would be an awesome opportunity. The issue is a 500 to 520 HP Z/28 would likely not beat a ZL1 around the track. The Gen 5 Z/28 was within 75 HP of the ZAnd had CC brakes to be the difference maker.

Like your idea but it positions the cars in revers order, although the new Z/28 may be more all day capable being NA.

Looking forward to finding out.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #17104
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Also for those that care I am told from a guy who knows a guy the 2018 Mustang will have 470 HP. And I know the guy the guy knows and I believe he knows....or at least I know he has a nose.

I have nothing to say in response to this, other than the completely irrelevant fact that I like to keep an Fbodfather quote in my signature.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #17105
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
You have a Bad Axx ride
Thanks! I'm really enjoying it.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #17106
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I really hope that LTx 7.0 happens. That would be awesome.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #17107
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
The Gen 5 Z/28 was within 75 HP of the ZAnd had CC brakes to be the difference maker.
It's interesting you said that...I posted this in a thread about the superimposed Z/28 and '17 ZL1 Nurburgring laps....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
......................................2014 Z/28.........2017 ZL1
Transmission........................M6............ ......A10
Weight (lbs)........................3858................3 926
Quarter Mile (sec)................12.3.................11.5
0-60 (sec)............................4.0.............. ...3.5
Braking 60-0 (ft)...................97...................96
Average Lateral G.................1.06...............1.06
MT Figure 8 (sec)..................23.6................23.1
I had it in my head that the Z/28 could out brake the new ZL1 still, and maintain an edge in the corners...I also thought it could maintain significantly better grip thanks to those Trofeo Rs...

Motortrend results suggest the two are damn near identical.

It will be difficult to beat this new ZL1 (as configured) around anything other than a tight, technical track with a future Z/28 featuring less power.

Which leads me to believe that maybe....just maybe....that winged beast that was testing around the Nurburgring was a ZL1 with what equates to a "Z07" package...perhaps now called the "race package", or "GT4 package"....I just don't know if they can use "GT4" in production...That would be wicked...and perhaps decrease the lap time into the high 7:10s - low 7:20s...
Old 02-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #17108
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I don't know, I still see reason to be optimistic.

A number of small improvements at sub 60 mph speeds can have a huge cumulative effect at high speed.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014