Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I'm still thinking it should be like the first Gen, Stripped down all around performer. I would like some creature comforts. But, I agree with Radz, don't really need anythimg more than leather and the lighting package, that is real cool. if avialable I'd probably take the BA premium sound package, if not I'll go aftermarket.

Really I want it blown. If it isn't I may save the cash and get the SS
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM   #16
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Maybe us Z28 guys could handle the wait a little better if we had some kind of confirmation of how long.

It is the not knowing that has some of us going stir crazy.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
GTAHVIT
Blessed

As always,

I'm with you guys.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Joe,

Absolutely, I know everyone keeps saying it isn't dead. And I am really encouraged by that. But if we had the same confirmation that the Vert folks have, I'd be much more relaxed. At least they've been told it's comming. I'm sure it helps ease their mindz.

lets see if he catches that.....
Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
also no need to tell people to stop crying...we're the consumers we can cry about any damn thing we want or we buy other products...

you know what even though i'll be happy with an ss...z28 folks keep mentioning it...even though i'm certain its coming

not knowing or having confirmation can be nerve-wrecking...

i remember a few years ago s.e.d. tv's were supposed to blow everything out of the water...they never saw the light of day and people were certain we would have seen them by now...chances are it will never come out
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
also no need to tell people to stop crying...we're the consumers we can cry about any damn thing we want or we buy other products...

you know what even though i'll be happy with an ss...z28 folks keep mentioning it...even though i'm certain its coming

not knowing or having confirmation can be nerve-wrecking...

i remember a few years ago s.e.d. tv's were supposed to blow everything out of the water...they never saw the light of day and people were certain we would have seen them by now...chances are it will never come out

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #21
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
I think a Z28 will come . it will mostly be a Camaro with a LS3 engine, RAM Air type hood , better intake and exhaust than the SS, more aggressive cam. It will be 200lbs lighter, Z06 style gearing. 22inch wheels
I would expect it to have 450Hp -475Hp
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #22
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think a Z28 will come . it will mostly be a Camaro with a LS3 engine, RAM Air type hood , better intake and exhaust than the SS, more aggressive cam. It will be 200lbs lighter, Z06 style gearing. 22inch wheels
I would expect it to have 450Hp -475Hp
Even that would make me happy! Dont need 22, but i could actualy change that.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The heritage is there for the SS, too, but the Z28 is Camaro-specific, and we want to be different than Monte Carlo and Cobalt owners. Our car culture is different, so we should be recognized by GM with a different performance car. I believe in the Z28 as a different kind of performance. Hopefully, GM will bring it back in the future.
Well I really cannot see what the big deal is, it's just a name. as long as there is a high performance version it shouldn't matter what it is called. Right now Chevy is using the SS designation for all the highest performance versions of their cars except the Corvette. And they want the Corvette to stand apart from anything else. I understand how you feel about the Z-28 but there are many that feel the same about the SS... sooo if you can't have them both they are going with the current theme. And for those who said that the SS was watered down because of overuse, I guess you forgot about the Z-24 Cavalier, the Z-34 Lumina and the Z-26 Beretta. not the best of the Z crowd.....
Old 07-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #24
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Well I really cannot see what the big deal is, it's just a name. as long as there is a high performance version it shouldn't matter what it is called. Right now Chevy is using the SS designation for all the highest performance versions of their cars except the Corvette. And they want the Corvette to stand apart from anything else. I understand how you feel about the Z-28 but there are many that feel the same about the SS... sooo if you can't have them both they are going with the current theme. And for those who said that the SS was watered down because of overuse, I guess you forgot about the Z-24 Cavalier, the Z-34 Lumina and the Z-26 Beretta. not the best of the Z crowd.....
Noted.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #25
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I've never properly expressed my take on this whole subject...it's hard to do so when you're plaung the balancing act in a conversation....Very good thread, Gthavit, and you're too Radz.

The Z28.

My Dad has one. He's kept it for almost 30 years now: it will be 30 in a few months. It was an underpowered, castrated legend of a car. Being born in the late 70s, how could it not be? But it was a Z28.

When I was growing up this was "Daddy's vroom-vroom car" because it gave off an unmistakable V8 growl at idle. I remember going to Ice Cream stands in that car; traveling across the town in it and recieving stares from 99% of people. I distinclty remember going up on the highway, and cruising at a rumbling 3000 rpms to get to Uncle's house. And I wouldn't give up those memory's of me and my father in his "vroom-vroom" car for all the money in the world. It was a Z28.

I wanted one. Truth be told, I wanted the 'SS' to be the Z28, so that I could afford it. Because almost any vehicle outside of 32k is NOT for me. I wanted it not because it had a supercharger, or because it was going to be an exclusive vehicle. I wanted it because it was a Z28.

But the Camaro is a Chevrolet first and foremost. These are different times, so in order to remain legitimate, it cannot deviate from it's "family". Yet you can't exclude the Z from the lineup. So GM decided to keep the mainstream cars in line with the rest of the Chevy Hierarchy, and designate the "special" Camaro as Z28, much to my dismay. This was both a good and bad decision, in my opinion. Now the name, the legend, and the heritage is bound to the fate of an unnecessary vehicle. Very few people, in the grand scheme of things, will opt for the 500+ hp version of the Camaro. But now...it's a Z28.

Have I proven to you that I know the passion behind the nameplate? That I understand why so many people are so upset at the prospect of killing off the Z28?

But there is something else that I understand. IF, and that's a BIG IF, the car does end up being cancelled; it is because it would not help GM in these desperate times. That is something that supercedes any passion behind the Z28, in my mind. Because if it doesn't help GM; it's only going to hurt it -- and if GM suffers much more hurt, we won't have a Camaro, much less a Z28.

So voice your feelings. Make it known that "If you build it, I will come." But don't complain, don't spread nasty words across other forums. And don't anyone tell someone else that their feelings hold more merit about this topic than another's. There's a silver lining to this; if this car can be built, then they'll build it....Because it's a Z28.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #26
jmliptak

Drives: D
Thanks for bringing this up Radz282003....

I was thinking along the same lines....I have owned 3 z28s in my time, whether I buy one or not I want it to exist again.

How about this? Let's imagine that Fbodfather wants a collection of statements from us on why GM should go forward with the Z28. Imagine what you were writing was going to be put in front of Rick Wagoner and the GM board as part of the effort to get approval for production.

What would you say? Please remember who your audience is in this case. They are car people, but also business people who face a very challenging environment. They don't want to be threatened or called names, they want sound reasons to make the choice. How do you positively express your passion, many of you us have already done it here, do it a way that will help them make the right decision. What are the right combination of business drivers and appeals to their passion for cars that will make them go the way that WE want them to go? Halo affect? Conquest sales from other companies? Take a shot!!!!!

We know that some of them are listening and reading here, impress them with your passion and how it can be a win/win!
jmliptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
GTAHVIT
Blessed

My comments in Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I've never properly expressed my take on this whole subject...it's hard to do so when you're plaung the balancing act in a conversation....Very good thread, Gthavit, and you're too Radz.

Thanks!

The Z28.

My Dad has one. He's kept it for almost 30 years now: it will be 30 in a few months. It was an underpowered, castrated legend of a car. Being born in the late 70s, how could it not be? But it was a Z28.

When I was growing up this was "Daddy's vroom-vroom car" because it gave off an unmistakable V8 growl at idle. I remember going to Ice Cream stands in that car; traveling across the town in it and recieving stares from 99% of people. I distinclty remember going up on the highway, and cruising at a rumbling 3000 rpms to get to Uncle's house. And I wouldn't give up those memory's of me and my father in his "vroom-vroom" car for all the money in the world. It was a Z28.

I wanted one. Truth be told, I wanted the 'SS' to be the Z28, so that I could afford it. Because almost any vehicle outside of 32k is NOT for me. I wanted it not because it had a supercharger, or because it was going to be an exclusive vehicle. I wanted it because it was a Z28.

But the Camaro is a Chevrolet first and foremost. These are different times, so in order to remain legitimate, it cannot deviate from it's "family". Yet you can't exclude the Z from the lineup. So GM decided to keep the mainstream cars in line with the rest of the Chevy Hierarchy, and designate the "special" Camaro as Z28, much to my dismay. This was both a good and bad decision, in my opinion. Now the name, the legend, and the heritage is bound to the fate of an unnecessary vehicle. Very few people, in the grand scheme of things, will opt for the 500+ hp version of the Camaro. But now...it's a Z28.

Along with the CTS-V, STS-V, XLR-V, Z06, G8 GXP and ZR1. Trust me, we understand that times have changed. And, as Scott has said, every model is under review. But the models I mentioned give me hope, lots of hope, that I may see the Z28 again. I need to be clear, We aren't being negative, we are trying to be positive that, as many have said, "the Z28 is not dead." If some feel the need to add "yet" to the end of that sentence then so be it. But as for me, I'm still keeping the faith as I've been advised to do.

Have I proven to you that I know the passion behind the nameplate? That I understand why so many people are so upset at the prospect of killing off the Z28?

This was never an issue with any one on this site. I don't expect any one else to share my feelings for the Z28. However,If you do, then great!

But there is something else that I understand. IF, and that's a BIG IF, the car does end up being cancelled; it is because it would not help GM in these desperate times. That is something that supercedes any passion behind the Z28, in my mind. Because if it doesn't help GM; it's only going to hurt it -- and if GM suffers much more hurt, we won't have a Camaro, much less a Z28.

None of us want to sacrifice the Camaro for the sake of the Z28. I want GM to make smart financial decisions and I won't bitch one bit if they kill it. But I will be very disappointed. In much the same way someone who wants a vert would feel if they killed that also. It wasn't that long ago this forum was up in arms over the prospect of no V8's due to CAFE and rising gas prices. But if that is what GM needs to do to be a force in the marketplace then so be it. I will applaud them for having the courage to do whats right for the company and the Camaro.

So voice your feelings. Make it known that "If you build it, I will come." But don't complain, don't spread nasty words across other forums. And don't anyone tell someone else that their feelings hold more merit about this topic than another's. There's a silver lining to this; if this car can be built, then they'll build it....Because it's a Z28.

All we are asking is this go both ways, as I'm sure you intend it to. and

Ahhh, that sweet silver lining. I'm holding on to it with all my might.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM   #28
Chemical

Drives: 2SS RS
The Z28 is very important to those who want power, 550hp is reasonable considering what the Corvette can do. If an SS can destroy competition already with its current specs, then I think a 550hp is reasonable.

I'm willing to wait longer for a Z28, not a big deal to me. I never expected a Z28 to come out the first year anyways.

Why I want a Z28? Z28 = High power + High quality = Happy customer.

hopefully the price isn't 50,000 - 70,000, that would be shocking.
Chemical is offline   Reply With Quote