Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
mcamisgroup

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Fbodfather's early reference to Auto Tranny

After Fbodfather's early pre-order reference to an auto tranny that would give us all a perma-grin, I couldn't get this auto off my mind. As a result, on Saturday, I ordered the automatic since he hinted that it would really be something special early on (add my bad knees to that decision). Scott, is it too early to ask why the auto will give us a perma-grin?
mcamisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
This:

Hydra-Matic® 6L90 6-Speed Automatic
The optional automatic transmission version of the ZL1 is a fully
integrated powertrain offering that is unique to the segment. The
Mustang GT500 and Boss models do not offer anything except
manual transmissions. The Hydra-Matic 6L90 is built to handle
the massive torque (556 lb.-ft.) and power (580 horsepower) put
out by the 6.2L supercharged V8. Included on the 6L90 are a
strengthened input gearset with two additional pinion gears and
a strengthened output gearset. Steering wheel paddle shifting will
make shifts quick and convenient.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Chances are they've tuned it to be more responsive, quicker, and faster than the manual....all guesses.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Chances are they've tuned it to be more responsive, quicker, and faster than the manual....all guesses.
Don't put me back on the fence again... I've already started trashing my old Auto buddys...
Old 10-31-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Rice Killer
Cooter

Drives: my wife crazy
Was his reference posted on this site? If so could somebody post a link please. I ordered the auto but am second guessing myself. Anything to make me feel better about my decision would much appreciated.
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Rice Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Don't put me back on the fence again... I've already started trashing my old Auto buddys...
Stick with me, buddy! Manual ZL1 FTW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
Was his reference posted on this site? If so could somebody post a link please. I ordered the auto but am second guessing myself. Anything to make me feel better about my decision would much appreciated.
I found this, from mid-summertime:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Spent a good portion of the day yesterday at the Milford Proving Ground with a couple of our ZL1 Engineers.........

........and I'm just stunned at the capability of this, our newest Camaro.

Suffice it to say that a lot of people may be eating their words when this car hits the streets......

.....and now that we've made the announcement about the Automatic Transmission -I can safely say this: Many people who were considering the Manual Transmission may want to rethink their decision. I'm a 6-speed manual kinda guy - and I've changed my thinking when it comes to the ZL1...
Old 11-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
mcamisgroup

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Dragoneye, thanks for finding the post from Fbodfather on the automatic. That is what got me excited enough to order it!
mcamisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #8
Rice Killer
Cooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamisgroup View Post
Dragoneye, thanks for finding the post from Fbodfather on the automatic. That is what got me excited enough to order it!
#1451 - 2012 ZL1 - White, Black Wheels, Manual, Suede Package, and Exposed Hood Insert. Delivered on 6/20/12. Thanks to Jason from Symdon Motors in Evansville, WI.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #9
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
The AT is faster? So what... the manual will be more fun to drive. There's just something about the direct connection IMHO.
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Rice Killer
Cooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
The AT is faster? So what... the manual will be more fun to drive. There's just something about the direct connection IMHO.
Valid point...
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
MYD has three distinct driving modes:
DRIVE: fuel economy and smooth shifts are desired, featuring 2nd gear start
SPORT: shift pattern is more aggressive including 1st gear start programming and an algorithm that holds the transmission in lower gears
MANUAL: full manual control, with no automatic up-shifts but staged up-shifts for incredibly fast and maximum performance

The biggest questions for me will be the cost of the option and how bad the GG will be. If I swing toward a slushbox, I'll be planning on at least near another $1500 on a bigger converter and tune and go MG9 (M6 ) hunting

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
How can you say that when you haven't driven THIS particular TUNED automatic?? This is unlike anything most people have had the chance to experience....... It's got "The X Factor" LOL
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
Rice Killer
Cooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
MYD has three distinct driving modes:
DRIVE: fuel economy and smooth shifts are desired, featuring 2nd gear start
SPORT: shift pattern is more aggressive including 1st gear start programming and an algorithm that holds the transmission in lower gears
MANUAL: full manual control, with no automatic up-shifts but staged up-shifts for incredibly fast and maximum performance

The biggest questions for me will be the cost of the option and how bad the GG will be. If I swing toward a slushbox, I'll be planning on at least near another $1500 on a bigger converter and tune and go MG9 (M6 ) hunting
What do they mean when they say "staged up-shifts"?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
How can you say that when you haven't driven THIS particular TUNED automatic?? This is unlike anything most people have had the chance to experience....... It's got "The X Factor" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Killer View Post
What do they mean when they say "staged up-shifts"?
I'm not sure. I know that I'm curious to find out!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote