Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #29
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
And don't forget to check out the vendor review section before you order. cough cough.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM   #30
maxdmax

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH827 View Post
Sounds like for a street car the Maggie is the way to go. Instant power off idle pretty much all the way until redline. How much boost are you guys throwing down on stock internals?
You need to decide just how far you are going to go with your car. Depending on you car being a stick or automatic car and how far you go on RWHP/torque will determine where you have to do a lot more changes to you car. Once you go over around 575RWHP on a stick car other parts need to start being addressed. The further you go the more you spend. If it is an auto you can get away with a little more before more supporting mods need to be done. If I just wanted ONLY a fun street car to drive staying in the 550RWHP range is a sweet spot for these cars IMHO. Seems like most everything is happy here, the more you go over that the more money you spend. I am running 17PSI on a Maggie at 787RWHP and 759 pounds of torque, the supercharger is no where near a 1/4 of the investment I have made but I enjoy driving and racing he car a lot!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #31
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
MAGGIE!

It isn't that the Maggie can't be made to run with the Centrifugal, it's just that it takes some ingenuity. For the fun street car, torque under the curve is what you want, and that is the Roots territory, anyone who says not is just trying to sell their product. Look at the dynos, peak numbers are great, but when is the last time you redlined the car in town? I personally would want that torque where I can get to it. It's like turbo lag, but worse.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
RBD

Drives: 2013 SS/RS Convertible
I have had every kind of FI there is: I like the Vortech centri the best.
I have a stock block , JRE cam, ARH headers, LPE dual pump set up and a
Vortech V-3 at 11psi. 715rwhp on 93 pump gas, no need for any meth either.
Love this combo ! ID-850 injectors too. 23mpg highway with 3.70 LPE gears
in my Eaton Tru-trac diff.
RBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-HPS View Post
Centrifical Blowers(Procharger,Paxton,Vortech) will always make more power pull for pull than a roots blower. A roots style blower you will heat soak after only a few spirited pulls then you start to loose power. The centrifical blowers have a nice large air to air intercooler sitting out front to cool off the intake air charge. Therfore you will always have more consistant hp with a centrifical blower over a roots stlye blower. I prefer Procharger, however the other kits out there are very nice as well. Feel free to call us for the best procharger deal around for your camaro.

Chris
That's such bullsheet, I don't know where to start. Sit in line waiting at the strip and see how hot your centri blown ride gets. If there's not much air going over the cooler, it's going to get hot. Centri, p/d, doesn't matter. There's no magic there. If the air's not flowing, it's going to get hot. If I don't have to wait in line for an extended period of time, I can hot lap my Maggie. As long as the air's flowing, it's good to go. Not much air to be had on the dyno. If you want to build your car to be a great dyno runner....go for it.

Again. Drive both and see what YOU like.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #34
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
That's such bullsheet, I don't know where to start. Sit in line waiting at the strip and see how hot your centri blown ride gets. If there's not much air going over the cooler, it's going to get hot. Centri, p/d, doesn't matter. There's no magic there. If the air's not flowing, it's going to get hot. If I don't have to wait in line for an extended period of time, I can hot lap my Maggie. As long as the air's flowing, it's good to go. Not much air to be had on the dyno. If you want to build your car to be a great dyno runner....go for it.

Great post. My best time at the track was ran on a hot lap with a tvs

-sent from my Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #35
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
The Maggie will get heat soaked rather easy that's a FACT sorry. The iats on Most centri is going to be better thats a Fact. I had a Maggie on my car at one time and enjoyed it. It was the first supercharger out for the camaro that I can remember. Saying that if I had to do it over again I would have went with something else like a centri. Having a little less torque and more top end isn't a bad thing when your riding around on street tires.

Last edited by JLE58; 01-17-2013 at 06:06 AM.
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #36
BlakeH827

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Such a tough choice between the two..
BlakeH827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #37
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:

Your lack of general racing knowledge of these particular vehicles is just SCREAMING right now, you have absolutely got to be kidding me.

"I don't even know where to start" is absolutely correct and very well said.

The only thing I agree with you is "drive both and see what you like", because both types of superchargers are great, but to say something like hot lapping a roots blower does not effect it is just ridiculous.
Hot lapping a centri will effect it too, but no where near as much as a roots blower. If your best pass was on a hot lap, then guess what, you have more in your car and dont know enough about racing or have enough data on your own car to know that.

Unbelievable....

Doug @ ECS
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #38
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeH827 View Post
So I can't decide on the right supercharger.. I really dont want to go the turbo route. I see a lot of people talk good about procharger and maggies. Which is better for me? Pretty much I don't go to the 1/4 mile that often and don't really care to much about that cuz it's a street car on 20s not a drag car. I want a fun fast car to drive. Pretty much I want a good supercharger for a street car. Daily driven, gas mileage is great but I'm not gonna ask for a street terror to get 20 mpg city lol I know there are trade offs. I'm keeping it on 20s with a good set of nittos. Lingenfelter gt9 cam swap and full exhaust. Procharger or Maggie?
From what you posted, I would suggest a Maggie TVS 2300 blower. You can put it on at any time - whether the car is totally stock or already modified. The TVS2300 feels awesome on the street and pulls very hard, instantly! With just the blower it feels great - add headers and a cam and now you're really rocking and rolling. Check out these TVS 2300 builds we did -
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #39
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Supercharging View Post

If your best pass was on a hot lap, then guess what, you have more in your car and dont know enough about racing or have enough data on your own car to know that.

Unbelievable....

Doug @ ECS
But it is true. After 3 years and 50k miles, mostly street driven, my best pass was on a hot lap. Did I know my car? I'd like to think so. Is a centrifugal faster on the track, possibly but not definitely. Does the op care about fastest track time? No.

I do believe he would be happiest with a PD blower. Down low torque, awesome under hood appeal, practically no maintenance. Plus, the deal I have in the vendor section will make it hard to go any other route as well.

-sent from my Note 2 using tapatalk 2
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #40
realcanuk

Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Only speaking from my own experience I can hotlap my car 4 or 5 times and get consistant runs. My best run ever was a second pass with no break in between them.
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000,
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #41
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:

My oh my...

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #42
Chris-HPS

Drives: 2008Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Supercharging View Post
Your lack of general racing knowledge of these particular vehicles is just SCREAMING right now, you have absolutely got to be kidding me.

"I don't even know where to start" is absolutely correct and very well said.

The only thing I agree with you is "drive both and see what you like", because both types of superchargers are great, but to say something like hot lapping a roots blower does not effect it is just ridiculous.
Hot lapping a centri will effect it too, but no where near as much as a roots blower. If your best pass was on a hot lap, then guess what, you have more in your car and dont know enough about racing or have enough data on your own car to know that.

Unbelievable....

Doug @ ECS

Very well said Doug!

Chris
Chris-HPS is offline   Reply With Quote