Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
kf12538

Drives: 2011 1SS Convertible
Supercharger problems

I just bought a 2011 1SS convertible and am brand new to the forum (had 3 4th gen camaros many years ago). The guy I bought it from had a paxton novi-1200sl complete kit installed. There are no other mods and it only has 15k miles. Apparently, he must have known there were problems because he sold it to me. The car idles fine and runs fine if you are barely pushing on the throttle. However, in between 1/3 and full throttle (especially after it shifts) it constantly hesitates and surges. It completely drops off (hits a dead spot) after it shifts when going full throttle from a stop. I have verified the tune is on the computer and am working with TOONA to evaluate the log files. What could be going on here? What problem areas should I check?
kf12538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Tune is off. So it bucks at low rpm like a cam surge?
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf12538 View Post
I just bought a 2011 1SS convertible and am brand new to the forum (had 3 4th gen camaros many years ago). The guy I bought it from had a paxton novi-1200sl complete kit installed. There are no other mods and it only has 15k miles. Apparently, he must have known there were problems because he sold it to me. The car idles fine and runs fine if you are barely pushing on the throttle. However, in between 1/3 and full throttle (especially after it shifts) it constantly hesitates and surges. It completely drops off (hits a dead spot) after it shifts when going full throttle from a stop. I have verified the tune is on the computer and am working with TOONA to evaluate the log files. What could be going on here? What problem areas should I check?
Sounds like you're running short on fuel. Meaning, you're trying to push the car to go fast, and while the boost is doing its job pushing the air in, the fuel system is not able to keep up. Find out what kind of injectors are in there and if you're running a BAP. That would help with this problem a lot.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Fuel supply should keep up fine at low throttle, most likely needs more fuel demanded though. Tuner likely tuned it solely on the dyno at WOT.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Chris82xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
Fuel supply should keep up fine at low throttle, most likely needs more fuel demanded though. Tuner likely tuned it solely on the dyno at WOT.
Pretty much. That's why I asked about his fuel system. He may not have the right components. Remember, he's running a NOVI 1200, which hints to me that it might be a tuner system that was bought and the owner threw in any type of injector if any at all.
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
kf12538

The car supposedly has the 66 lb injectors that came with the complete kit. The kit did not include nor recommend a boost a pump unless more intense modifications were made. It acts like a fuel issue to me as well but it does go in wot so maybe not. The tune was originally the canned tune that came with the kit from paxton. Johan is tweaking it now to see if we can improve anything.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Chris82xx

So, based off what you said, A.) You're in definite need of a tune. Canned tunes suck ass. B.) Your ECU is running on your stock exhaust. So what's happening, is that you push the pedal and get nothing for a split second, then it starts to go. And that can happen anywhere along the pedal line. It's pausing because the ECU is asking the pump for a radical amount of more fuel and the pump is trying to keep up. Disregard what was said about not needing a BAP. Get one, install, tune, enjoy!

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
kf12538

What boost-a-pump do you recommend and does anyone know where the harness is located so I don't have to drop the tank?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:44 PM   #9
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
I personally would go with a ZL1 pump and an ADM FPCM, especially since you are getting tuned and your tuner can enter Andy's FPCM parameters into the tune.

If you do go with a BAP, JRE sells the MSD BAP already programmed and ready to install. With a BAP there will be a blinking LED all the time. You either need to wire it in with some sort if relay on your own, or use a battery maintainer or in 3-4 weeks your battery will drain down.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
Chris82xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf12538 View Post
What boost-a-pump do you recommend and does anyone know where the harness is located so I don't have to drop the tank?
ECS, JRE, any forum vendor sells them on here. To be quite honest, it's apples to apples. The BAP wires into the harness under the back interior panels. The BAP option is good if you don't want to drop the tank, otherwise if you're looking to replace the stock pump, there are many options available, including the ZL1, which is the cheapest compared to what else is available. There are two ways to replace the pump. One is by cutting an access hole under the passenger side back seat. If you don't want to cut, then you would have to go through the process of dropping the tank.

In regards to blinking LED's with a BAP, I have no clue. Mine, when I had it was tucked away and hidden behind the interior panels. Out of sight, out of mind.

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
dan0617

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Yeah, you can shut the car off, take the key out, come back days later, and the red LED on the boost a pump still flashes. It is 100% wired correctly and works perfectly, it's just always flashing. Takes a long time to drain the battery but if you are planning on letting the car sit for a few weeks or more the battery maintainer is a must.
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 13+ psi, Water/Meth, ID850’s, ZL1 pump with MSD Voltage Booster, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. A million other supporting mods. Tuned by Ted.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
Chris82xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
Yeah, you can shut the car off, take the key out, come back days later, and the red LED on the boost a pump still flashes. It is 100% wired correctly and works perfectly, it's just always flashing. Takes a long time to drain the battery but if you are planning on letting the car sit for a few weeks or more the battery maintainer is a must.
That's interesting. I never knew that. So it always have to have a constant 12V wired into it? Think of it like this though. It's drawing the same power as the theft deterrent LED. So minimal, it makes no difference.

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #13
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Does the car have catalytic converters still?
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
kf12538

Yes, the stock cats are there. The car is bone stock other than the supercharger. I don't know why anyone would leave stock exhaust on with a supercharger but this guy did. I plan on changing the exhaust to long tube headers, high flow cats and so forth, but I really just want to get this thing running right. So far, I hate damn near everything about this car.