Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #43
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Well i got the issue in the mail. At least there's a couple pictures of a pretty yellow Camaro.
The mustang was $3,000 more than the SS.
They never once mention the mustang's live axle.
They got 4.4 0-60(which is as fast as possible for that car i think), and 12.7 111 mph
The Camaro was 4.7 and 13.1 110mph, not one of the quicker ones they've tested. 4.8 for challenger.
Skidpad grip was .92g for the Camaro and challenger, .97g for the rustang.
About the only nice thing they say about the Camaro is that the chassis is always planted.
They seem to like the Challenger more because it's easier to see out of. They also bash the Camaro's steering wheel and shift nob , badly. One of the editors claims that the Challenger is the best looking of the three. The man must need eye surgery. One tester even claimed , about the Camaro, that the "styling has gotten old quickly, and looks Cartoonish."
The Challenger's test numbers were no better than the Camaro and it was $10,000 more.
At the end of the V6 and V8 tests they rank all 7 cars. The GT and hyundai are their two favorites. One writer, Ron Kiino, had the Challenger V6 in 6th...and the Camaro SS in 7th!!
Now here's the kicker. They mention how the new 5.0 V8 improves even fuel economy compared to the old 4.6. Wanna know what fuel economy was for the mustang in the test? 11.5 MPG OBSERVED FUEL ECONOMY.
You read right. Eleven and a half miles per gallon.

Well i guess that's what 3.73 gears will do. If it was geared identical to the SS it wouldn't out accelerate it.
Oh and jputer you're right about the Track Pack. Having owned two IROC-Z Camaro's , i'm not as dazzled by skidpad numbers anymore at the cost of my butt. The fact that the 5thgen SS can pull .92g on a skidpad AND ride great is amazing. I don't need more than that at the cost of the ride.

Last edited by AZCamaroFan; 06-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #44
NJP56

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/ RS Package A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
Well i got the issue in the mail. At least there's a couple pictures of a pretty yellow Camaro.
The mustang was $3,000 more than the SS.
They never once mention the mustang's live axle.
They got 4.4 0-60(which is as fast as possible for that car i think), and 12.7 111 mph
The Camaro was 4.7 and 13.1 110mph, not one of the quicker ones they've tested. 4.8 for challenger.
Skidpad grip was .92g for the Camaro and challenger, .97g for the rustang.
About the only nice thing they say about the Camaro is that the chassis is always planted.
They seem to like the Challenger more because it's easier to see out of. They also bash the Camaro's steering wheel and shift nob , badly. One of the editors claims that the Challenger is the best looking of the three. The man must need eye surgery. One tester even claimed , about the Camaro, that the "styling has gotten old quickly, and looks Cartoonish."
The Challenger's test numbers were no better than the Camaro and it was $10,000 more.
At the end of the V6 and V8 tests they rank all 7 cars. The GT and hyundai are their two favorites. One writer, Ron Kiino, had the Challenger V6 in 6th...and the Camaro SS in 7th!!
Now here's the kicker. They mention how the new 5.0 V8 improves even fuel economy compared to the old 4.6. Wanna know what fuel economy was for the mustang in the test? 11.5 MPG OBSERVED FUEL ECONOMY.
You read right. Eleven and a half miles per gallon.

Well i guess that's what 3.73 gears will do. If it was geared identical to the SS it wouldn't out accelerate it.
Oh and jputer you're right about the Track Pack. Having owned two IROC-Z Camaro's , i'm not as dazzled by skidpad numbers anymore at the cost of my butt. The fact that the 5thgen SS can pull .92g on a skidpad AND ride great is amazing. I don't need more than that at the cost of the ride.
NJP56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJP56 View Post
The July issue of Motor Trend ripped the Camaro in tests. The SS came in 3rd behind the Mustang Gt and the Challenger SRT8

The V6 came in 3rd as well, but there were 4 cars tested. Hyundai Genesis 3.8 track was 1st, Mustang V6 2nd, Camaro RS 3rd and the Challenger SE brought up the rear.

I think the whole article was just to hype the new Mustangs. They tested the 2011 Mustangs against the other cars 2010 models.

They ripped on the shape, weight and the ride, I think it looks fantastic, rides excellent and the ride is what I had hoped for. I don't care what they say, the Camaro is my car of choice.
I think you're right. Completely. Which is why I don't give two tails what they have to say. Their opinion on a vehicle is just as "important" as yours or mine. And you can take that to the bank!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #46
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
i just got that issue in the mail today & the one thing that kept bugging me the whole time was that people need to quit callin' the V6 a "Camaro RS"
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #47
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
I remember seeing this review from Edmunds when I was car shopping. V-6 304 has only 11 hp less than Mustangs v8... This video also preached reasons V-6 was better.
http://www.edmunds.com/flipper/do/Me...rstNav=Gallery
Old 06-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #48
Gunsmoke
wat?

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattaRush View Post
the new Mustang will be kicking our ass..just sayin'

that's not what Car and Driver said.....
Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #49
youngmaro

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
when it's all said and done the Camaro looks better. Just look at a music video and you'll see plenty of camaro's and challengers. I don't really care of 0-60 times so I'll sacrifice horsepower or 2 for a car that looks 10x better
youngmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #50
youngmaro

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
and from a v6 owner standpoint Ford was on some bullshit while the camaro was away. I had 2006 v6 mustang and I'll never go back to them. had the new camaro not came into play the v6 stang would stand have one exhaust pipe, crappy leather, 210 horses, and a host of other v8 downgrades. I respect Chevrolet for making them step their game
youngmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #51
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
i just got that issue in the mail today & the one thing that kept bugging me the whole time was that people need to quit callin' the V6 a "Camaro RS"
Well the version they tested was an RS. Funny thing was , they complained about the big wheels and tires lacking road feel, so why didn't they test one with 18s or 19s?!
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #52
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmaro View Post
and from a v6 owner standpoint Ford was on some bullshit while the camaro was away. I had 2006 v6 mustang and I'll never go back to them. had the new camaro not came into play the v6 stang would stand have one exhaust pipe, crappy leather, 210 horses, and a host of other v8 downgrades. I respect Chevrolet for making them step their game
The only late model mustang i've been in was a 2005 V6 that a friend of mine rented on vacation here. It had a high center of gravity, lots of body roll. In short, it felt how mustangs always feel. I compared it unfavorably to a 4th gen Camaro.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #53
jpack

Drives: 2005 F150 for sale!!!
Quote:
The only late model mustang i've been in was a 2005 V6 that a friend of mine rented on vacation here. It had a high center of gravity, lots of body roll. In short, it felt how mustangs always feel. I compared it unfavorably to a 4th gen Camaro.
My Neighbor brought home a 2011 today & my wife who really does not pay much attention to cars just said " What did they do to the rear end? It looks awful..." Pretty much summed it up for me.
jpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:09 PM   #54
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Well the version they tested was an RS. Funny thing was , they complained about the big wheels and tires lacking road feel, so why didn't they test one with 18s or 19s?!
no, they tested an LT - one which happened to have the RS appearance package

...and after looking at the magazine again, their SS also had the RS package

my point (that i thought was laid to rest a long time ago) is:
the RS package has absolutely nothing to do with being a V6 or not.
unless you count having a badge that says 'RS' instead of 'SS'
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #55
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

I 'm not sure what the difference is? All RS V6's are LT's. Was it that you wanted them to call it an LT?? RS Camaro's come with RS badges, so isn't it normal to call them Camaro RS's?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #56
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpack View Post
My Neighbor brought home a 2011 today & my wife who really does not pay much attention to cars just said " What did they do to the rear end? It looks awful..." Pretty much summed it up for me.
Yes, when i see the 2010 mustangs on the road, something doesn't look right about that car. It seems out of proportion from the side and rear.