Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: will your camaro ss be a daily driver?
yes 472 67.24%
no 182 25.93%
maybe 48 6.84%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2008, 03:29 PM   #29
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I can't afford 2 cars unfortunately, My SS will have to be my DD whether I want it to or not. I'm just gonna baby it so I can drive it hard when the time calls, and still have a car I can take to the car shows/cruises.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #30
UltimateAdam

Drives: 1998 Pontiac Firebird
This will be my "daily driver" BUT with some exceptions....

Will NOT be driven in winter, all wrapped up during that time.

Also, I work for Comcast as a tech... what does that mean? Well, I have put like 80 miles on my Firebird... in the past 4 months! I drive my truck everywhere, even park it at home. My other job is 4 miles from my new house, and thats why I have the wife's Malibu. I wanna keep the mileage low, like 4-6k a year.
UltimateAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #31
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
I'm not a guy :p , but I will probably drive the 5th gen daily...at least for a while. Life's too short to drive a crappy DD! Even my beater I just sold was a fun little Miata, but it didn't get the gas mileage I expected so I had to get rid of it.
My commute will never be under 15 or 20 miles one way so I may as well enjoy the time I have in whatever I'm driving that day.
The Tahoe only gets driven on rainy days or when I need to haul some stuff or peeps since it only gets somewhere in the 15mpg range. I would drive that everyday if I could, but it kills my bank account. I found that out the hard way when I broke my arm a few months back when gas was REALLY high and that's the only automatic vehicle I could drive. Was about $150/week in gas!!! OUCH!
I know ya'll are all going to think I'm crazy when I say this, but my ultimate goal is to get my '67 hardtop into daily driver status. Don't have to worry about how many miles I put on it and it's a lot more structurally sound than some of the crap they put out these days. Just need time and money to make that happen, but it's coming along slowly.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:34 PM   #32
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Nice car in your sig Raven. Couldn't see close enough to tell whether that was the Z28 or SS?

I'm not expecting the SS to be some super gas sipper, just want it to make sense for daily transport, which it sounds like it will be. The other side of this is that I've decided if I get the SS I'm keeping it for LIFE, or for a very long time. I forsee this car being a huge classic one day just as the 69' is today.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
Thunderpunk

Drives: 1987 Porsche 930
Mine will be spending the majority of it's life parked in a nice shady spot in the garage. It will see life only as a cruiser. I will treat it like my Porsche. It will never see rain if I can help it.

Last edited by Thunderpunk; 07-27-2008 at 09:09 PM.
Thunderpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #34
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Nice car in your sig Raven. Couldn't see close enough to tell whether that was the Z28 or SS?

I'm not expecting the SS to be some super gas sipper, just want it to make sense for daily transport, which it sounds like it will be. The other side of this is that I've decided if I get the SS I'm keeping it for LIFE, or for a very long time. I forsee this car being a huge classic one day just as the 69' is today.
Thanks! She's a Z28, but there are no badges on her. Didn't want to put them on after the repaint/flames. Below are some pics where you can see more of her and then one with the flames if you are interested in checking it out. Still trying to line up a photo shoot now that we finally have the exhaust on. Had a slight mishap with it that may take a bit to fix, so it may be a bit before some super-postworthy pics.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...n/DSC01829.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...n/DSC01828.jpg
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #35
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:

Don't count on it with 100K unit sales per year.

None the less I won't use the SS as my daily driver. I have a 25 mile commute one way to work. My supercharged 4Runner takes premium and gets 21mpg and that was a little much when gas went up above $3 a gallon. I bought a 1999 Honda Accord 4banger (mint) as a daily driver. It gets a low of 32mpg and a high of nearly 40. I don't care if it gets dinged, chipped, whatever.

Nope the SS will be a weekend toy only like my 4Runner. I love my 4Runner, and don't plan on selling it, but may depending on how much I drive it after the Camaro arrives.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:40 PM   #36
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Don't count on it with 100K unit sales per year.
If you took into consideration the span of time I plan on keeping it, you can "count on it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Thanks! She's a Z28, but there are no badges on her. Didn't want to put them on after the repaint/flames. Below are some pics where you can see more of her and then one with the flames if you are interested in checking it out. Still trying to line up a photo shoot now that we finally have the exhaust on. Had a slight mishap with it that may take a bit to fix, so it may be a bit before some super-postworthy pics.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...n/DSC01829.jpg

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...n/DSC01828.jpg
Wow. That's one bad apple! Thanks for the pics!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:51 PM   #37
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
If you took into consideration the span of time I plan on keeping it, you can "count on it".
Maybe, but I've heard a ton of people say that only to sell their "love" 4-6 years later.

My buddy swore up and down he'd keep his 2002 Z06 for 40 years.....until the 2007 arrived with 505 HP. Now he owns an 08' and is precious 2002 was sold to the neighbors.

Oh, one other thing...those saying "yeah this V8 will be my daily driver" will you say the same if gas is $10 a gallon by the time it's released?

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:54 PM   #38
2kwik
So anxious.

Drives: Awaiting my 2010 SS
Quote:
Oh, one other thing...those saying "yeah this V8 will be my daily driver" will you say the same if gas is $10 a gallon by the time it's released?
Very odd question..... ... but, yes!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #39
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Yes, becuase thats my upper limit of what i can afford. Besides if gas gets to $10/gal for reg then our entire country will have more to worry about than weather or not they can buy a camaro.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:07 PM   #40
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderpunk View Post
Mine will be spending the majority of it's life parked in a nice shady spot in the garage. It will see life only as a cruiser. I will treat it like my Porsche. It will never see rain if I can help it.
Your lucky you have garage space, I already have two vehicles in my garage so I have to keep mine outside. Are car covers water proof?
PA FAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #41
JamesJ
Garnet Red and Black plz

Drives: 69 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to JamesJ
totally plan on it being an everyday driver, gonna get rid of the jeep, give the truck back to my dad, and park this baby next to my 69
JamesJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #42
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Quote:
A cold day in hell....