Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #29
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
It doesn't seem smart to have two V6 models in the lineup. What this means is that the 220HP V6 will be the $18-19,000 model and the 300HP V6 could be in the $25-26,000 range. The V8 at $29-30,000.. Enthusiasts will want to buy the V8..Those on a budget will opt for the cheapest base they can get..The middle V6 won't have much of a market..
$18-19k? I doubt it. Then, I also doubt that the DI V6 will be $25-26k. Like you said, nobody's going to want an upgraded V6 for that much more, but maybe if the base V6 is $22-23k they'd get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
i dont pay any attention to "trim packages" cus all that is to me is is the interior accessories that i could care less about, ill take a stripped down Z28 with manual windows, no ABS or T/C, cloth interior... BASIC interior. keep the price low, get only what you need.
You're not going to get that. I doubt there will be manual windows, and I know for sure there will be ABS and T/C because stability control is becoming mandatory. It would be absolutely pointless for them to release the 2010 Camaro with it optional and have to phase it in by 2012, the mandated date for all cars to have it.

There better be cloth. I HATE leather and I'm not too fond of vinyl.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #30
96CAMaro

Drives: '02 Impreza 2.5RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2010-che...-trump-ss.html

"Although the Chevrolet Camaro has offered quite a few trim and package options over the years, a fairly consistent hierarchy – in some form or another — was present during the car’s 35 year production run – base six-cylinder, Z28 and SS. But a new report indicates that the 2010 Camaro will tear up this road map.

According to Road & Track, Chevrolet will launch the Camaro with three trim levels, but not the three we have already outlined. Instead, R&T says Chevy will launch the LS, LT and SS, with both base models being powered by V6s.

If the report is accurate, look for the base LS model to be powered by a 220 horsepower 3.5L V6 while the up-level LT will use a version of the Cadillac CTS’ 3.6L V6, likely producing about 300 horsepower. The SS model will do with a version of the Corvette’s LS3 motor, rated at 400-405 horsepower.

If you aren’t confused yet, just hold on a minute. Road & Track also surmises that a Z28 model will join the range sometime after the convertible bows in 2010, but that it will trump the SS – completely going against the Camaro’s history. Power for the Z28 is said to be sourced from a detuned version of the Corvette ZR1’s supercharged LS9 motor, making somewhere in the neighborhood of 480 to 500 horsepower.

While it was widely assumed that the Camaro would offer a 400 horsepower model and 500 horsepower model derived from the ZR1, it was believed that the top model would wear the SS moniker. The availability of two V6s is also a bit perplexing as it would seem to make more sense to offer just one six-cylinder engine – especially considering the direct-injection V6 will surely return better fuel-economy than the 3.5L.

To add even more confusion to the mix, Chevrolet is still considering a four-cylinder option – likely to replace the LS model’s V6. And with Camaro naming apparently out of whack, it’s completely possible that the four pot Camaro could wear the ZL1 nameplate."

SWEET!!!
The Z28 being detuned from 620hp down to 480-500hp, huh - hmmm...that is a lot. Hell, even if you detuned it to 575hp it wouldn't put down the times the ZR-1 does (in my opinion). If this is true, which I doubt that it is :(
96CAMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #31
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
The Z28 being detuned from 620hp down to 480-500hp, huh - hmmm...that is a lot. Hell, even if you detuned it to 575hp it wouldn't put down the times the ZR-1 does (in my opinion). If this is true, which I doubt that it is :(
You guys are missing the point on stuff like this. If they detune it, that's a win-win for everyone. They sell it cheaper, insurance is cheaper, and then you can easily/cheaply modify it to make all that power again. You'll still have all that power, but it will cost less.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #32
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
LS9 ~638hp/604lb-ft
LSA ~556hp/551lb=ft

The LSA is Not a Detuned LS9.
They share a basic LS3 Block but ther are significant differences.
LS9 gets forged internals that the LSA lacks. It has a physically larger S/C and a larger Heat exchanger than the LSA
LSA ---> LS9

I would be shocked if the Camaro gets an LS9. I think we can hold out some reasonable hope to get an LSA in one version or another.
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #33
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I seriously doubt the 3.5 will be the base engine..... lest we forget, Bob Lutz and I even remember Scott mentioning there will be 2 - TWO - models offered at launch. Now, the disciples have already seen and driven what we've confirmed to be the 3.6 VVT DI through those pictures from the disciples meet. That leaves only the V8 as the other model.

Add that to the fact GM is considering the turbo'd ECOTEC as an entry level engine below the 3.6 (which makes 260 hp instead of the anemic 3.5 V6's 220), I think R&T is blowing smoke up everyone's kazoo.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:04 AM   #34
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Ok, so when's the IROC-Z coming back?
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 AM   #35
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
When someone reboots the International Race of Champions.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #36
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
$18-19k? I doubt it. Then, I also doubt that the DI V6 will be $25-26k. Like you said, nobody's going to want an upgraded V6 for that much more, but maybe if the base V6 is $22-23k they'd get away with it.

You're not going to get that. I doubt there will be manual windows, and I know for sure there will be ABS and T/C because stability control is becoming mandatory. It would be absolutely pointless for them to release the 2010 Camaro with it optional and have to phase it in by 2012, the mandated date for all cars to have it.

There better be cloth. I HATE leather and I'm not too fond of vinyl.
as for the prices, have you seen how high the price jumps when you add options to a base model vehicle? go to chevy.com or hell even ford.com and build your own base model vehicle, then add every option you can and see how much of a difference there is, (tho most are already listed ie: $18,534-$26,183)

as for the options i want, i know i cant get them, but i wouldnt count out manual windows completely, they are a viable option on damn near every vehicle's base model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
LS9 ~638hp/604lb-ft
LSA ~556hp/551lb=ft

The LSA is Not a Detuned LS9.
They share a basic LS3 Block but ther are significant differences.
LS9 gets forged internals that the LSA lacks. It has a physically larger S/C and a larger Heat exchanger than the LSA
LSA ---> LS9
I would be shocked if the Camaro gets an LS9. I think we can hold out some reasonable hope to get an LSA in one version or another.
what about an LSB? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun1 View Post
IROC-Z.... thats a good one.... oh wait... you're serious

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 PM   #37
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Talking

SEE POST#26 by CamaroSpike23
the LS3 i can almost assure will be the base v-8 option, unless GM pulls a freakin rabbit out of their ass and drops a gen-V motor in there and can keep it to $30,000.00 which i doubt will happen due to the fact that the camaro has never gotten a motor that was better than the vette, i would imagine that the vette will recieve the first of the gen-V motors, then it will be passed down to the camaro like usual.[/QUOTE]

I've read in past posts that fbodfather says we will be pleasantly surprised with the Camaro...I believe I've also read another unrelated post that mentioned there was a good possibility that the Gen V motor would be ready for production by year-end.......crossing my fingers, I'm hoping that both may be related???
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #38
Numero_uno

Drives: Nissan Altima
I'm all about tradition and all that, but as long as I can get my 3.6L DI V6 I'll remain a happy camper.
Numero_uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:37 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
lest we forget, Bob Lutz and I even remember Scott mentioning there will be 2 - TWO - models offered at launch.
I don't remember that...
Old 06-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #40
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
SEE POSTI've read in past posts that fbodfather says we will be pleasantly surprised with the Camaro...I believe I've also read another unrelated post that mentioned there was a good possibility that the Gen V motor would be ready for production by year-end.......crossing my fingers, I'm hoping that both may be related???
There is no possibility that they will be ready for production. They are not slated to be built till 2011, I think. Sorry
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #41
mxkx250

Drives: 12 ZL1, 98 Camaro SS, 67 RS/SS
Send a message via Yahoo to mxkx250
I was at Carlisle today and saw the hood up and a LS2 in the vert concept with AFM
mxkx250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #42
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxkx250 View Post
I was at Carlisle today and saw the hood up and a LS2 in the vert concept with AFM
There were LS2s in all the Concepts afaik, nothing new there. It is pretty much accepted that we'll likely see the LS3 (or some new engine designation) in the new Camaro as the LS2 is being phased out.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote