Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
InvaderMoose

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS CGM
Around what time is it illegal to drive with only your halos on

I have my amber halos from AAC, and until recently I'd leave my headlights off until 7:30 or 8.

But so far in the last 2 weeks, almost every single day I've had someone honk next to me at a stoplight "HEY YOUR HEADLIGHTS ARE OFF, TURN THOSE ON". Like I don't notice my own lights are off.

Anyone else get the same responses or at least know the LEGAL time? I understand they're probably telling me for my own safety, but its been getting pretty stale.

Engine/Appearance: 530 RWHP
Whipple supercharger, Full JBA Exhaust, Ported TB, Cold Air Inductions & ADM Scoop /Complete new paint, 20" Forgestar F14s, Sinister hood, SLP Spoiler, AAC Halos, P13W Fogs
Old 10-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #2
T3hlulzkiller

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT
Pretty sure there isn't a legally defined time. I was always told to do so at dusk.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Id be more concerned about being pulled over for the color of your halos than not having headlights on.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #4
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
when it's dark outside and you'd be pulled over for not having your headlights on.

if the cops think your headlights are broken, they'll stop you and try to give you a ticket. DRUNKS also forget to turn on their headlights.

there is no "legal time" - if there was, don't you think your car would do it automatically when that time came? OH WAIT! it does! it's called "Auto" mode. when it gets dark enough, your headlights turn on automatically.

if you wanna drive in the dark without your headlights on because you think the halos look so much cooler, then go for it.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
InvaderMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by irocnroll View Post
Id be more concerned about being pulled over for the color of your halos than not having headlights on.
Amber is legal, red and blue are the illegal ones.

Whipple supercharger, Full JBA Exhaust, Ported TB, Cold Air Inductions & ADM Scoop /Complete new paint, 20" Forgestar F14s, Sinister hood, SLP Spoiler, AAC Halos, P13W Fogs
Old 10-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
InvaderMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
when it's dark outside and you'd be pulled over for not having your headlights on.

if the cops think your headlights are broken, they'll stop you and try to give you a ticket. DRUNKS also forget to turn on their headlights.

there is no "legal time" - if there was, don't you think your car would do it automatically when that time came? OH WAIT! it does! it's called "Auto" mode. when it gets dark enough, your headlights turn on automatically.

if you wanna drive in the dark without your headlights on because you think the halos look so much cooler, then go for it.
At 8 Is when it gets hard to see the road
If i have my headlights on at 6 or 7 it doesn't make a difference in visibility, so I'm not driving in the dark. Plenty of people on this forum do the same thing, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderMoose View Post
If i have my headlights on at 6 or 7 it doesn't make a difference in visibility, so I'm not driving in the dark. Plenty of people on this forum do the same thing, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.
i agree. but where i live, the streets are lit up bright as day and you don't need headlights to navigate.

but a cop is going to pull you over.

i have a buddy who has been stopped several times for riding a bicycle on the roads at night without a headlight.

it's more about BEING SEEN, than being able to see.

do your tail lights turn light up when you have your halos on?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
RickRay
INJACC

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS AUTO
Depending where your from I guess...the LAW is for every new Car to have DRL...For Safety Reasons (Saves Lives). I just can't see why you have to drive without them YOU do not see them..
Member of 'Club Elite' #70
2LT/RS Auto / Solo HFC / Solo Mach X-LLT J-Pipe / JBA Headers Shorty
CAI - Cold Air Inductions / VMAX TB / Trifecta Tune
Hotchkis Max Strut Brace / Blade Dovetail Spoiler / Elite Catch Can
ACS T3 Hood Ports / T2 Bumper Ports / T2 Splitter / ACS T1 Led Light Kit
ACS Rockers / ACS Composite Hood Liner / ACS Upper Rear Quarter Ports
ACS Front Wheel Mud Flaps / ACS Rear Wheel Mud Flaps / Vitesse Throttle Controller
Pedders Drop Suspension / BMR Lower Control Arms / Style 41 ZL1 Wheels /
Oracle Afterburners / Oracle Concept SMD Side markers
Complete SS Brembo Brakes Set
Old 10-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
TwoEcho
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-Imperial Blue
Quote:
Amber is legal, red and blue are the illegal ones.
This varies from state to state. Here in SC, red, blue, green, amber, doesn't matter. It is illegal here to have any color other than halogen/incandescent lights on while the car is moving. Most cops wont pull you over, but you aren't supposed to have them...

Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Straight answer: Depends on your state law. Most are like ours in Texas. From the book:

You must use your headlights beginning one-half hour after sunset and
ending one-half hour before sunrise, or any other time when persons or
vehicles cannot be seen clearly for at least 1,000 feet.

Note this means poor vis to..turn the on in the rain, fog etc...note DRLs do not light your taillights...

Normal answer: are you kidding?
Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
InvaderMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
[/I]do your tail lights turn light up when you have your halos on?
They do.

I've actually given it thought before on the way to work about if people can see ME when they're off, but around the time I turn mine on, I still see some people driving around with all their lights off, like their car hasn't automatically turned them on yet and I can see those people pretty clearly. Around where I drive theres streetlights everywhere, and it keeps the roads pretty bright and I'm 100% everyone can see me with my headlights off, just as easily as they can with them on.

The point of the topic was just asking if there was a legal time to have them on, or a cop has to pull you. I've given it thought and I know what I'm doing isnt dangerous to me or anyone else. other people on here do it too, it's pretty common.

I suppose the answer is dusk.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
SuperTrooper

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Camaro
This is going to differ from state to state but here in NC the law requires you to have your "headlights" on from sunset to sunrise and that is going to change actually daily. I look to see what time actual sunset was and give a buffer of about 20 minutes or until it is apparent by the darkness that everyone should have their headlights on. Having your park and fog/driving lights does not meet the requirments either.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
pogiskier

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss black,hurst shifter
In UTAH the law is 30 min after sun set. and 30 min before sun rise you have to have headlight on.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
I'd say if the sky is dim turn the headlights on even if it is not 'dark' out yet. It isnt just for YOU to see, it is for others to see you. And 'ambers' are not easy to see at a distance and are much easier to not notice until too late.

Closed Thread