Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #225
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
You are incorrect. Let me explain:

This has nothing to do with "harmonic imbalance". Something doesn't have to be spinning to have a resonant frequency...and everything has a natural resonant frequency. If the brake calipers have a natural frequency in the range of the vibration caused by the friction of the rotor against the pads then they will "squeal".

Brake calipers must be an engineering nightmare because not only are they very light compared to the massive rotor...they are actually shaped like a tuning fork which is exactly what you don't want when trying to control vibration.

I should know...I'm a vibration test engineer! I've worked here for the last 8 years and my whole job is to control resonant frequencies. http://www.baughneng.com

Using lead weights to control noise is a very feasable idea. Lead is very dense and relatively soft which is great for noise dampening. We use what we call "Q-Damp" to dampen vibration and although I'm not at liberty to tell you what it is made of I can tell you that it basically does the same job as the lead weights appear to be doing.

In my opinion, GM should not replace these calipers. They do not need to spend anymore wasted money, but instead they should have a solid painted lead weight to replace the generic wheel weights.
Looking at how many small weights are being glued on, a larger solid piece of lead is probably too heavy to simply glue on so this would not work.. Welding one solid piece on is an alternative but would take longer to implement at the factory.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #226
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
You are incorrect. Let me explain:

This has nothing to do with "harmonic imbalance". Something doesn't have to be spinning to have a resonant frequency...and everything has a natural resonant frequency. If the brake calipers have a natural frequency in the range of the vibration caused by the friction of the rotor against the pads then they will "squeal".

Brake calipers must be an engineering nightmare because not only are they very light compared to the massive rotor...they are actually shaped like a tuning fork which is exactly what you don't want when trying to control vibration.

I should know...I'm a vibration test engineer! I've worked here for the last 8 years and my whole job is to control resonant frequencies. http://www.baughneng.com

Using lead weights to control noise is a very feasable idea. Lead is very dense and relatively soft which is great for noise dampening. We use what we call "Q-Damp" to dampen vibration and although I'm not at liberty to tell you what it is made of I can tell you that it basically does the same job as the lead weights appear to be doing.

In my opinion, GM should not replace these calipers. They do not need to spend anymore wasted money, but instead they should have a solid painted lead weight to replace the generic wheel weights.
So basically what you a vibration test engineer are saying is that GM did the right thing adding these weights... Not only that we can confirm from other forum members and I know form personal experience that Brembos squeak, probably because of what you explained.

So its very possible GM did this to BENEFIT owners of the Camaro to stop brake squeal. Something that other vehicle manufacturers failed to do when equipping their cars with Brembo brakes.

No way must be a conpiracy
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #227
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/faq/chev...l-shakers.shtm

working on pics. They were called "cocktail shakers"

hmm interestingly weird but hey if it works, so they just sat there soaking up the vibrations...
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #228
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
hmm interestingly weird but hey if it works, so they just sat there soaking up the vibrations...
Yup, there were 4 on every convertible. They are filled with jell and a spring inside of them. It absorbed a large amount of structural resonation.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #229
Maxtout2010
ASE Master Tech

Drives: 2010SS/RS
They are probably there to cancel a vibration or noise. Generous Mother has always been known for doing things like that. They will last thru warranty before falling off and then it's your baby! HAHA!
Maxtout2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #230
Pushing_Tin

Drives: 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
Like I said before it was deleted (why?) the general public will not be as understanding or patient as most of you are.

http://jalopnik.com/5222908/2010-che...rake-weightsre

Forumites at Camaro5 have been collectively scratching their heads for a couple days, wondering why there appear to be two layers of lead wheel weights stuck onto their brake calipers. It's a mystery Charlie Brown!

The confusion started when a poster uploaded an image of his new Camaro's Brembo calipers, on which were riding two rows of lead weights, normally affixed to the inside of a wheel rim to balance the tire. This led everyone with a Camaro to run outside to see it their mullet machine's also had the weights, which they do, at least on among the folks on the forum. GM has not answered to the confusion yet, but the leading theory is they were place on the caliper as a quick and dirty fix to alleviate brake squeal. From a physics perspective, this explanation is plausible, as resonant frequency is in large part determined by mass, and by changing the vibrating mass of the caliper with the weights, a troublesome squeal would be eliminated for a particular driving condition.

The trouble is if they're using normal brake weights, the heat cycling of the caliper will eventually cause the adhesive to fail and, if things get too serious on the track, the lead could actually melt. Though it's an odd issue and not really a big deal, we'll be keeping you in on the loop during Camaro brake-gate, though we recommend Camaro owners visit their local dealer and have their muffler bearings, blinker fluid, and piston-return springs checked out, just in case. Click here for the high-resolution image. [Camaro5]
Pushing_Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #231
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin View Post
The trouble is if they're using normal brake weights, the heat cycling of the caliper will eventually cause the adhesive to fail and, if things get too serious on the track, the lead could actually melt. [Camaro5]
"normal brake weights"? I didn't know brake weights exist. I imagine that if normal break weights exist, they include heat-resistant adhesive...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #232
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbolt70 View Post
Yup, there were 4 on every convertible. They are filled with jell and a spring inside of them. It absorbed a large amount of structural resonation.
I've got a little vibration going on with my 69, and there are two missing on the front end. I'll bet it will be just like the winshield chrome they don't make em anymore. Anybody have two laying around the garage thanks for the info kdbolt70
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #233
KnightRider

Drives: Black 2SS/RS M6
No words from GM yet?
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #234
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Has anyone directly contacted an appropriate GM employee to ask for a response?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #235
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
This might get deleted to...I don't know???
I got enough sense to tell you that between the heat,cold,brake dust,and dirt these over time will come off and damage either the car,wheels or the brake system.This fix is like trying to wrap tape around a leaking pipe or using a piece of copper pipe in place of a fuse.The bottom line is it will not work.These weights fly off of wheels all the time and never get as hot as they will get on a brake system.These weights are not designed to be used for this and will not work.DELETE........
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #236
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I talked to a parts guy at the local dealer and he said he would get back to me by noon, it's now 1, I'll give him a call by the end of the day to see if he's found anything out.

My "theory": Flux Capacitor.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #237
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Maybe. .....

There must be a reason I keep singing for everyone to calm down and have a little patience...right?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #238
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
i'm pretty sure we figured it out already if it's not for brake squeel then it's for show because thats really the only other option besides chuking it from your car at 80mph death race style to lose the gt500 behind you. quote me on that, i hath browseth the interwebs.
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote