Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #141
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
OldJedi, Thank you SO much. I wanted to do my best to help you all feel what I felt while we were there. I'm glad to hear it's coming through in my writing.

I'd love to answer your questions:

1) Suede: It is WONDERFUL. To be honest, I drove both a suede and leather car during the weekend - and if the option wasn't available, I wouldn't miss it. The leather looks and feels very nice on the shifter and wheel. But the suede grips MORE. I'm glad I checked the option - it also gives the inside of the car a noticeable "richness" to it.

2) Transmission: I'd prefer the manual. I really enjoyed the automatic - I mean, I really, REALLY enjoyed it. The crisp shifting, the responsive paddles...and the linear power...It feels like a 580hp video game. But the manual connects you more - and shifting really was enjoyable with the new short-throw & twin-disc clutch.

3) Oil change: You would only need to remove the rearward belly pan. It appears to be attached with 7 screws. At the worst, it'll be a clumsy extra step during an on-ground oil change. But on a lift, it'd be a breeze, imo.

4) Changes: The ONLY thing I'd change from the factory is the temperature of the fog lights so the match the headlights. I love the presence of this car...and the performance -- well....

5)
Thanks for the response and answers. Your car is parked two rows in front of mine hopefully we will both see them soon. Nice article. Still jealous.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #142
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by super60 View Post
Joe

Great pictures and story Looks like your really enjoyed your time with the ZL1's . Hopefully # 214 will be tearing up the streets of Western NY in no time at all .

Mike Judge
Super60
Hopefully!!

Thanks for all you do, Mike!! You and your crew at Oshawa help to make that experience happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodih View Post
A very honest and well-written observation. As I was reading this, I kept thinking back to articles I've read about such cars as the Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari 458 Italia and even the Nissan GT-R. All the technical expertise and engineering marvels that produce a $100,000, $300,000, or $1.3M car. GM has built capabilities into this car that we never dreamed would be available to us at $55,000!

What possibly could be next???
Isn't it amazing to think about?

I find it most telling when I explain what I did and how this car is to friends and family that aren't necessarily into cars....and the response I get is "Holy cow, this thing sounds like a Ferrari!"

Nope....it's a CHEVY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG 68 Z28 View Post
As everyone has said great job. What I liked the most is you telling you level of driving exp. I'm sure most of the buyers of this car are not race car drivers. You really showed what this car will be like for the avg. driver. I just love the black on black and so glad I ordered it, but would be happy with whatever color I would have ordered.
Thanks again for the awesome story
Yes sir...I'm a novice at best. Yet, this car was very confidence-inspiring, even for me. Make no mistake...it's been proven you can wreck. And don't forget the car is descended from the likes of the Corvette ZR1. The sheer acceleration and cornering can be absolutely terrifying! But if you have your wits about you - it's SO easy to drive fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I nominate this for thread of the year!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #143
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad02SS View Post
My G8 has the manual mode on the console and I wish it had the paddles. The idea is your hands should already be on the steering wheel. Just not sure it's better with them on the column so you always know where the paddles are or on the wheel so they somewhat move with your hands.
I've driven cars with paddles on the steering wheel. I didn't like it at all. I have no need to keep both wheels on the steering wheel. Only time I see that being an issue is if I were road racing. I guess it's just whatever your preference is, but the stick mode is much more like driving my M6 SS than paddles could ever be.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #144
alex70olds
~~*~~

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #141
Great job Joe! If this moderator thing dont work out ------------------ lol
Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #145
Dawgman

Drives: N/A
Thanks, Dragoneye. I am brand new to Camaro5 - registered tonight - but have been reading stuff on here on the ZL1 all week. This is a great forum and the energy people have going on here in anticipation of getting their ZL1s is awesome. This two day VIR post is by far the best stuff I've read on here and if this can't get you jacked up about getting a ZL1 then nothing will! Ever since the rumors first started about a 560+hp Camaro I've thought I have to get my hands on this car and everything I've read in the magazines in the last couple months makes it clear this is an out-of-this-world performance machine of the kind never before seen in American muscle car history - but what has absolutely sealed the deal for me now is is how unbelievably good this car looks. It is sick - plain and simple. I'll go see one at the Auto Show this weekend in Milwaukee but I don't need to. The fifth gen Camaro was already the best looking, amazing, exotic American muscle car of all time and now all they've done is make it look so frighteningly bad ass that I'm not sure I'm even cool enough to drive it. I usually hate black wheels on cars but these look so good that for me I don't think I'd want the car without them. I've called about 10 dealers in Wisconsin this week with no luck - either no allocations or their 1 allocation is gone. Just based on all the good things said on here, I emailed Becky D out of the blue yesterday but haven't heard back yet. If anyone has any leads on a dealer with a ZL1 allocation or a car headed for a lot, please let me know. I am flexible on transmission and color (look at all these pics - all colors look awesome). Thanks for listening. Somehow I have to find my way into a ZL1 for this summer.
Dawgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #146
MrDew

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #165
Hey Joe,

I got another question for you.
- Did you talk to the engineers about the break in period and what they suggest? I wonder wether they took it easy on the ctf cars for the first 1500 miles...
MrDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #147
OldJedi
Use the Force

Dragoneye, one more question for you Joe. Did everyone attending get the black ZL1 jacket and any idea where those of us that did not attend can get the same ZL1 jacket?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #148
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
On a side note, what is it you and FBodFather do to gain such access? And uh, how can I join team Camaro? :P geez.

Mjolnir

Joe has been a moderator on this site since, I believe, its inception (or shortly after its inception)

Because this is one of the largest enthusiast sites out there for ANY car - it was only natural that we select someone from this site to attend the VIR event.

Joe has always amazed me in that his maturity far exceeds his age. He's intelligent, trustworthy, level-headed, and he's demonstrated thru his actions that he's deserving to have such an opportunity. (not saying by any means that others are not deserving...)

I think that simply reading his exceptional reporting of his experiences answers the question.
Why can't some Journalists write this well? That's not a slam at anyone - but when was the last time you read an article that felt like you were actually in the car with the driver?? Myself? I can't recall......

And for what it's worth? I'd be proud to have Joe as a son. (I'd say "brother" but I'm ancient and he's a young man in his 20s....) Further, I'm proud to call him "Friend" --

(.....and I had nothing to do with him being chosen......I know too many people due to my many years of travelling to Camaro/Firebird shows - thus the team picked the attendees...)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #149
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Thanks for the response and answers. Your car is parked two rows in front of mine hopefully we will both see them soon. Nice article. Still jealous.
I still figure there's about 5 weeks before I can pick it up....but now that I know what I'm getting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgman View Post
Thanks, Dragoneye. I am brand new to Camaro5 - registered tonight - but have been reading stuff on here on the ZL1 all week. This is a great forum and the energy people have going on here in anticipation of getting their ZL1s is awesome. This two day VIR post is by far the best stuff I've read on here and if this can't get you jacked up about getting a ZL1 then nothing will! Ever since the rumors first started about a 560+hp Camaro I've thought I have to get my hands on this car and everything I've read in the magazines in the last couple months makes it clear this is an out-of-this-world performance machine of the kind never before seen in American muscle car history - but what has absolutely sealed the deal for me now is is how unbelievably good this car looks. It is sick - plain and simple. I'll go see one at the Auto Show this weekend in Milwaukee but I don't need to. The fifth gen Camaro was already the best looking, amazing, exotic American muscle car of all time and now all they've done is make it look so frighteningly bad ass that I'm not sure I'm even cool enough to drive it. I usually hate black wheels on cars but these look so good that for me I don't think I'd want the car without them. I've called about 10 dealers in Wisconsin this week with no luck - either no allocations or their 1 allocation is gone. Just based on all the good things said on here, I emailed Becky D out of the blue yesterday but haven't heard back yet. If anyone has any leads on a dealer with a ZL1 allocation or a car headed for a lot, please let me know. I am flexible on transmission and color (look at all these pics - all colors look awesome). Thanks for listening. Somehow I have to find my way into a ZL1 for this summer.
That's awesome!!!

Welcome to the website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDew View Post
Hey Joe,

I got another question for you.
- Did you talk to the engineers about the break in period and what they suggest? I wonder wether they took it easy on the ctf cars for the first 1500 miles...
I didn't. If I can find out, though - I'll let you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Dragoneye, one more question for you Joe. Did everyone attending get the black ZL1 jacket and any idea where those of us that did not attend can get the same ZL1 jacket?
We all received a "goody bag" with some things inside, including a black "ZL1 Camaro" fleece pullover. I imagine they'll be carried by somewhere like Chevy mall before long - if not already.

(P.S. THANK YOU for the gear, Chevy!)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #150
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Joe has been a moderator on this site since, I believe, its inception (or shortly after its inception)

Because this is one of the largest enthusiast sites out there for ANY car - it was only natural that we select someone from this site to attend the VIR event.

Joe has always amazed me in that his maturity far exceeds his age. He's intelligent, trustworthy, level-headed, and he's demonstrated thru his actions that he's deserving to have such an opportunity. (not saying by any means that others are not deserving...)

I think that simply reading his exceptional reporting of his experiences answers the question.
Why can't some Journalists write this well? That's not a slam at anyone - but when was the last time you read an article that felt like you were actually in the car with the driver?? Myself? I can't recall......

And for what it's worth? I'd be proud to have Joe as a son. (I'd say "brother" but I'm ancient and he's a young man in his 20s....) Further, I'm proud to call him "Friend" --

(.....and I had nothing to do with him being chosen......I know too many people, thus the team as a whole picks them...)
I'm obviously biased, but I think Joe honored his selection greatly with his write up... I think when they read it, they'll have no doubts they made a good choice.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #151
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #152
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Great story. Soooooo jealous.

It just goes to show the effort they put into the car.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #153
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:

(.....and I had nothing to do with him being chosen......I know too many people due to my many years of travelling to Camaro/Firebird shows - thus the team picked the attendees...)
As much as I wish I could have attended the VIR gathering as well, I truly believe that Joe did an outstanding job writing the article. It was very concise and insightful but also very easy to read, He has a wonderful way of teleporting you into his seat to be able to see and feel what he was experiencing. The selection committee did an excellent job picking Joe. I am still jealous.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 PM   #154
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:

Oh, Scott...Thank you.

Your words (especially you being you) do me a great honor.

However it was that I was invited to this opportunity...I am, and forever will be so very grateful for it. I was not asked to write something "in return", nor did it ever seem expected of me...I wrote what I did because that's exactly how I felt - and wanted to share it with everyone who couldn't be there with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I'm obviously biased, but I think Joe honored his selection greatly with his write up... I think when they read it, they'll have no doubts they made a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I hope so. It's the least I can do as a gesture of thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
Great story. Soooooo jealous.

It just goes to show the effort they put into the car.
ABSOLUTELY! I can't tell you how many times Tony Roma would highlight something and my only response was "no way!"

For example...remember that little "ZL1" metal piece on the shifter? Even though it looked amazing - it was removed because they discovered the corners would dig into a driver's hand occasionally...and they couldn't allow that on a Camaro of this caliber.