Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #155
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I received my Lambert Automotive / Quantum brake duct backing plates last week and had them powder coated wrinkle black this week. (I use wrinkle black on lots of things to make it appear "more stock"

I did some test fitting last night and found one minor issue. The kit is supplied with 4 bolts (gold). A nut and bolt to mount the small bracket to the top of the backing plate and then I assume a bolt to attach the mounting tab to the knuckle. The thread needed for the knuckle is different than the bolt supplied in the kit. (see picture) I have a plethora of spare automotive bolts and found a handful that would work in its place...If someone were to force this bolt into the knuckle it would strip or cut new threads.

I also played with the routing of the ducts to understand why a direct route could not be used.......as you can see int he last picture the 3 hose would get crushed by the tire at full lock. More pictures to come once the ducts are routed. Suspension is at full drop in the picture but the distance between the frame rail and tire did not change when compressed.

-Matt
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #156
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I did some test fitting last night and found one minor issue. The kit is supplied with 4 bolts (gold). A nut and bolt to mount the small bracket to the top of the backing plate and then I assume a bolt to attach the mounting tab to the knuckle. The thread needed for the knuckle is different than the bolt supplied in the kit. (see picture) I have a plethora of spare automotive bolts and found a handful that would work in its place...If someone were to force this bolt into the knuckle it would strip or cut new threads.
All my bolts fit effortlessly. Wonder if they shipped the wrong one? Maybe call and ask what thread you should be looking for? I am sure you can pick up good hardened bolts somewhere to fit.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #157
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
All my bolts fit effortlessly. Wonder if they shipped the wrong one? Maybe call and ask what thread you should be looking for? I am sure you can pick up good hardened bolts somewhere to fit.
Maybe, I as mentioned I have bolts so it wasn't an issue.....I just tossed the others aside.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM   #158
td195f

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #786
I wouldn't waste money on hardened bolts to mount the backing plate. What stress is applied that would require even a grade 5 or the metric equivalent no matter a Grade 8 bolt?
2015 Z/28 #786 - Black
2004 Silverado 3500 Dually - D'Max - Suncoast - Banks - Edge - Custom Tune by D'Max Tuner / Spitzer '32 Bantam Altered Drag Car - Blown Alcohol 380 CI Small Block Chevy
td195f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #159
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
how uch duct did you use to route. I read 3' on each side is plenty.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #160
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
how uch duct did you use to route. I read 3' on each side is plenty.
It all depends on the routing....

I do not like the way people are routing it through the suspension and back passed the strut and then into the backing plate....too many bends.

I an going to be routing it at similar as I can to the Pratt & Miller build Stevenson Camaro Z/28.R I am have tried a few diffeent way and there will be some rubbing at full lock but I can see it on the Stevenson car as well...Note the ovalized duct near the frame rail.

-Matt
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #161
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
My old setup I used Velcro around the tubing and then ty-wrapped the Velcro to the control arms. I used 3/4 inch Velcro.
Great suggestion! I got a 12' roll of Velcro One Wrap that has no adhesive and it secures to itself once it's wrapped around. I also used it under the hose clamps to protect the hose!
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #162
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Bought both from Pegasus.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=6263

You put a full loop of the velcro material around the hose with the fuzzy part pointing out. Then you put a full loop of the other velcro material with the hooks pointing in. Then, you jam the zip ties between the hooks and loops, or between the material and the hose. Could sent pix later in the week - am traveling.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3641

way more expensive than screen door but I wanted something really solid. I painted it black - it comes silver.
The screen worked out great! Thanks for the suggestion! I used 3mm X 6Mmm aluminum rivets and painted everything black.
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 AM   #163
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
It all depends on the routing....

I do not like the way people are routing it through the suspension and back passed the strut and then into the backing plate....too many bends.

I an going to be routing it at similar as I can to the Pratt & Miller build Stevenson Camaro Z/28.R I am have tried a few diffeent way and there will be some rubbing at full lock but I can see it on the Stevenson car as well...Note the ovalized duct near the frame rail.

-Matt
Would love to see some shots as you go, with the wheels at full lock either way (shots from under the car?). I looked long and hard and could not figure out how to make it work, but maybe I am just not seeing it.

In the end, I think we will all learn a lot over the next 9 months about how well certain setups work. I would not be surprised if I ended up having to swap out the hose every year or two, but honestly when you look at the cost of brake pads and rotors and look at how easy it is to attach a new hose, this is going to be no big deal at all.

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #164
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
The screen worked out great! Thanks for the suggestion! I used 3mm X 6Mmm aluminum rivets and painted everything black.
Looks great, SSMike. Real stealth from the front, I bet.

The next thing someone needs to do is block off one duct and go nuts on a track for 20 minutes, then measure the heat difference between left and right rotors using a heat gun....

Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 AM   #165
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Quote:
Would love to see some shots as you go, with the wheels at full lock either way (shots from under the car?). I looked long and hard and could not figure out how to make it work, but maybe I am just not seeing it.

In the end, I think we will all learn a lot over the next 9 months about how well certain setups work. I would not be surprised if I ended up having to swap out the hose every year or two, but honestly when you look at the cost of brake pads and rotors and look at how easy it is to attach a new hose, this is going to be no big deal at all.
Hose replacements is my thought too. If it wears through and I need to replace it once per year that would be fine with me. If there is a little rub at full lock I am ok with that because the only time the car is at full lock is in parking lot situations .....mine is not a DD and I try to avoid parking lots

I flattened / ovalized one of the hoses yesterday and it appears this is the route I will be taking. Weather is supposed to be cold again this week and I loose motivation when it is below freezing outside I will fire up the heater in the garage and most likely work on it again next weekend.

-Matt
Old 02-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #166
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I was thinking about a mesh too, but the description from the Pegasus site says 63% open space which is cutting the brake duct intake by quite a bit.

Looking at the bumper's lower facia grill, doesn't seem anything major can get in. Still sitting on the fence for this one.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #167
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
I was thinking about a mesh too, but the description from the Pegasus site says 63% open space which is cutting the brake duct intake by quite a bit.

Looking at the bumper's lower facia grill, doesn't seem anything major can get in. Still sitting on the fence for this one.
I don't think that means that 37% of the air goes away somehow. At speed, it will be high pressure air around the grill. My guess is that it will just whistle a little faster around the wires. But I am not an engineer.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #168
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
Started to install the quantum kit earlier on my 14 but the caliper bolts would not ncome out on either side. Both me and my dad tried with a 20" breaker bar to get them loose but nothing. I was thinking of adding heat, maybe they are'frozen' on since it's 25* in the garage. Any ideas?
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, ducts