Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
AustinWithrow

Drives: 2013 Cammed/LSA Conversion 1LE
Hard time taking off, and trouble taking off with hill assist?

Is this just me or is everyone else having trouble with taking off and stuff? I feel like the clutch is super difficult to drive with. This clutch is ridiculous to me! I feel like I'm having a lot of trouble with it. Does any one have tips for me? I've only been driving it for 3 days now.
AustinWithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Brettmess24

Drives: 17 C7 GS WGG
Honestly, also being a new owner of a 1LE you will get used to it. All you NEED to do is drive it more

I noticed it loves quick shifts and 1st to second loves a little rev.

Just have fun and drive it more and it will become second nature.

Your probably thinking too much, just do! Thats what I used to do when I raced CCS if I thought about it I missed every apex and my lap times suffered if I just took my mind off the shifting etc. I was much faster.
Brettmess24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
It takes some time to get it right, the soft spot, on this clutch. I'v had my 1LE for a few months now, and I'm finally used to it. If it's new, it'll take a while for the clutch to break in too.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
AustinWithrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherob View Post
It takes some time to get it right, the soft spot, on this clutch. I'v had my 1LE for a few months now, and I'm finally used to it. If it's new, it'll take a while for the clutch to break in too.

The car is a 2013 1LE with only 5700 miles. So hopefully, as I drive it more I'll get use to it! I really love the car and power though.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #5
mr877

Drives: Soon
The clutch is definitely a hard one to get used to, after about a month you should be shifting like a pro.

Although you may already be doing this, one thing that really helped was to release slowly by just rotating around the heel of my foot. I didn't have too much experience with Manuals before this car so I was basically pushing and releasing the clutch using with my full leg before.
mr877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
AustinWithrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr877 View Post
The clutch is definitely a hard one to get used to, after about a month you should be shifting like a pro.

Although you may already be doing this, one thing that really helped was to release slowly by just rotating around the heel of my foot. I didn't have too much experience with Manuals before this car so I was basically pushing and releasing the clutch using with my full leg before.

What do you mean by "rotating around the heel of my foot"? I too don't have much experience with manuals, I've drove them, but this is my first daily driver manual. So I'm kinda just learning as I go, and hoping that I don't burn out the clutch while learning. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I hated the hill assist. Replacing the G-sensor of the car with what comes with the auto model fixes the issue.

The thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300649

The sensor to replace ($74):
http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-gm/1357...h_str=13578326
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I am 64 years old and have been driving a while and have had many high performance cars with a clutch , In fact I own 3 now. I drive my bolt on modded tuned 1LE the way it was intended ,I don't baby it. So far I have found the clutch and trans in the 1LE to be among the best I have ever driven. My only problem with the car so far is the poor tire wear that is more than likely my fault for driving it like I stole it . The hill assist has not been any problem on my car. I did have the CAGS disabled when my tune was done ,the CAGS did suck when you drove it easy in town. In the end you may have to practice and learn to drive a clutch ,or by auto trans cars from now on .
Old 05-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinWithrow View Post
What do you mean by "rotating around the heel of my foot"? I too don't have much experience with manuals, I've drove them, but this is my first daily driver manual. So I'm kinda just learning as I go, and hoping that I don't burn out the clutch while learning. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For a smooth ride , don't use your leg when releasing. Plant your heel on the floor and raise your toes toward your nose so your ankle will be acting like a lever. It will be a smooth release. This is especially good for 1 to 2. Once it grabs, get your foot off the clutch you don't want to ride it in any way.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
It is a very heavy clutch. Sounds like you need a little more experience and you get that with seat time. Since it's your daily driver, you'll be fine in about a month or so.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #11
The Hunter

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
My 2015(got it in December) was my first manual car and I would say it took me about two months before I got conformable with the clutch but now I love it. As for hill assist, I don't trust it. Sometimes when I would like it to kick on it doesn't and sometimes it kicks on when I don't want it to causing me to stall so now I use the handbrake lol
The Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Look into this possibly..

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...le+hill+assist
Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
wzbhnn

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
I have had the same feelings every now and then too, but again this is only the 5th day I had the car.
I think the brilliance of this car is how it makes you a better driver as you drive more.
Yesterday I stalled once at a stop light. And today out of nowhere I accomplished my first heel-toe, and a perfect one, without even thinking ahead.
wzbhnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #14
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
YOU MUST BE KIDDING

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
It is a very heavy clutch. Sounds like you need a little more experience and you get that with seat time. Since it's your daily driver, you'll be fine in about a month or so.
The stock clutch in the 1LE is not heavy at all .