Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Reveals Chevrolet Volt MPV5 Concept

GM Unveils Chevrolet Volt MPV5 Electric Concept at Auto China 2010
Crossover with Extended Range Capability Builds on Volt’s Foundation

Beijing – Chevrolet has made a major commitment to providing world-class, fuel-efficient vehicles to its customers around the world. In recent months, through GM’s Shanghai GM joint venture, Chevrolet has introduced the fuel-efficient Cruze and New Sail in China. It will introduce the Volt electric vehicle with extended range capability in 2011.

In preparation for the Volt’s arrival, Chevrolet is leveraging Auto China 2010, which starts today in Beijing, to introduce the Volt MPV5 electric concept. The five-passenger multi-purpose crossover concept demonstrates the potential of the Voltec propulsion system by utilizing the same foundation as the Volt, for gas- and tailpipe emissions-free electric driving.

Maximizing Efficiency and Style

The styling of the Volt MPV5 concept borrows design and aerodynamic cues from the Chevrolet Volt. The front fascia is among the most aerodynamic of any crossover thanks to its closed grille and aero-optimized lower air dam, both of which help improve fuel efficiency. A full-underbody belly pan, along with rocker claddings, creased tail lamps and specially designed blades on the rear quarter, also help the Volt MPV5 concept cut through the wind with ease. The intense focus on improved aerodynamics enables greater all-electric range.

The exterior of the Volt MPV5 concept isn’t solely about efficiency. Its Sonic Blue Metallic paint provides a contemporary appeal, while the dual skylight panels and 19-inch Volt-inspired wheels build the Volt MPV5 concept’s sporty credentials.

“The Volt MPV5 concept takes the efficient design of the Chevrolet Volt and adapts it to the family vehicle crossover segment. It’s immediately recognizable as a true member of the Chevrolet family,” said Bob Boniface, Director of GM North America Crossover Exterior Design, whose team worked in conjunction with members of GM’s design studio in Australia on the Volt MPV5 concept.

The Volt MPV5 concept’s dimensions provide added passenger comfort. While the 2,760-mm wheelbase of the Volt MPV5 concept is a mere 15 mm longer than the wheelbase of the Chevrolet Volt, its body is 181 mm longer (4,585 mm), 73 mm wider (1,871 mm) and 182 mm taller (1,612 mm) than the Volt.

Inside, the Volt MPV5 concept adopts the Volt’s center stack and gauge cluster along with its striking two-tone leather seats. Thanks to the Volt MPV5 concept’s size, passenger comfort doesn’t take a backseat. Typical for Chevrolet crossovers, the Volt MPV5 concept’s seating position allows for maximum comfort and flexibility, including improved entry and egress.

When it comes to cargo, the Volt MPV5 concept carries on the crossover tradition thanks to its flip-and-fold second row seating, which provides up to 1,764.1 liters of cargo space with the seats folded and 863.7 liters of space behind the second row.

Voltec Power Boosts Green Credentials

The Volt MPV5 concept utilizes the same Voltec propulsion system found in the Chevrolet Volt, including the added capability of an engine generator to extend the driving range and eliminate “range anxiety.” A 16-kWh T-shaped lithium-ion battery pack powers the electric drive unit.

The flexibility of the Voltec system enables the Volt MPV5 concept to meet full vehicle speed and acceleration requirements while driving the vehicle and its five occupants up to 51.5 km on pure electric propulsion. This is double what the average urban commuter in China travels each day. When the battery is depleted, a 1.4-liter engine generator sustains the battery charge and provides up to 482 km of electric propulsion.

“The Volt MPV5 concept demonstrates the flexibility of the Voltec propulsion system, which can produce enough electric power to propel a range of vehicles. from a compact sedan like the Volt to a crossover like the Volt MPV5 concept,” said Doug Parks, Global Vehicle Line Executive and Global Vehicle Chief Engineer for Electric Vehicles at GM.

“Rapidly growing demand for personal transportation across China is creating new environmental and energy security challenges,” said Kevin Wale, President and Managing Director of the GM China Group. “GM is committed to finding and adopting solutions, which include the electrification of the automobile. The world premiere of the Volt MPV5 concept in Beijing demonstrates GM’s desire to make China a global focus of its advanced technology strategy.”

GM continues to advance electrification in China through research and development. It has launched the China Automotive Energy Research Center (CAERC) in Beijing. The venture with SAIC and Tsinghua University is developing a comprehensive automotive energy strategy for China. The GM China Science Lab, which opened last November, is carrying out advanced automotive-related research, including battery development. In March, GM introduced the EN-V (Electric Networked-Vehicle) concepts in Shanghai. A centerpiece of the SAIC-GM Pavilion at World Expo 2010 Shanghai, EN-V embodies GM’s vision for personal urban mobility in 2030. In addition, GM is supporting its Shanghai GM joint venture’s “Drive to Green” strategy, which is focused on developing green products, supporting green manufacturing and undertaking a green responsibility.

Chevrolet Volt MPV5 Concept

Specifications

Model: Chevrolet Volt MPV5 Concept
Body style / driveline: five-door, front-wheel-drive crossover
Description: electric vehicle with extended-range capability

Performance
Top speed (kph): 160 (100 mph)
EV range (city in km): up to 51.5 (32 mi) based on EPA city cycle
actual mileage may vary depending on driving habits/conditions, weather and battery age
Extended range: 482 km (300 mi) on a full tank of gasoline

Battery system

Type: lithium-ion
Energy: 16 kWh

Electric drive unit
Power (kW / hp): 111 / 150
Torque (lb-ft / Nm): 273 / 370

Charging times
120 V: over 8 hours (actual charge times may vary)
240 V: about 4 hours (actual charge times may vary)

Brakes

Type: four-wheel disc, fully regenerative to maximize energy capture

Wheels/Tires

Wheel size and type: 17-inch forged aluminum
Tires: specially developed low rolling-resistance

Dimensions
Exterior

Wheelbase (in / mm): 108.7 / 2,760
Length (in / mm): 180.5 / 4,585
Width (in / mm): 73.7/ 1,871
Height (in / mm): 63.5 / 1,612

Interior
Seating capacity (front / rear): 5

Capacities
Cargo volume (cu ft): 62.3 cu-ft with rear seats folded, 30.5 cu-ft behind second row
Fuel tank (gal / L): TBD

Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Looks like an Aztek.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I'd rock it actually.

I like it better than the original volt.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Hmmm, too mini-vanish for my tastes. Is that going to be a China-only model?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Hmmm, too mini-vanish for my tastes. Is that going to be a China-only model?
Not sure yet, although there were always rumors of an MPV-ish vehicle along the lines of the Volt. This is probably it.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I guess someone will like it. I'll have to pass on this one. I do like the regular volt though.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
That's pretty handsome...and more "practical" than a small-car. Interesting!
Old 04-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #8
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
I wouldn't mind seeing a Volt-powered Equinox I'm sure plenty of other peeps will like this design though, it just doesn't fit my personal tastes. Good to see that GM is continuing to design these types of vehicles though. The more practice they get at it, the better they will become.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
I like it. I like the idea, I like the looks too. I think they should make it. Right along side the Volt...same time frame and everything. Of course, I think they should use the Volt technology and apply it to almost everything....Impalas, Equinoxes, Malibus, CTSs, the new bigger Caddy, all the Buicks, etc....

I want to see them do a "Volt application" on a vehicle the size of the Traverse/Eclave/Acadia. People with more than 1 or 2 kids would like to have the plug-in hybrid option as well.

I've always said that electric or hybrid vehicles would be a lot more popular if the automakers would actually make the cars people already want to drive into hybrids rather than trying to make people want to drive the ugly-ass hybrids they all seem to come up with.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Is the original even out yet??

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Is the original even out yet??
It will be at the end of this year. This thing wouldn't require near as much work as the Volt, though. It's on the same platform, using the same powertrain...some modifications and alterations would be all it needs. I say that like it's easy, when it's not...but it's "less hard".
Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
TahoeCamaro

Drives: '10 Camaro SS/RS VR, '11 Tahoe LTZ
The more I look, the more i like.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:28 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
Looks like an Aztek.
?

My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
The rear on that thing looks GOOOD!!!! I'd love that for a daily driver.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote