Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
What's a Z28?

Seriously what does Z28 mean to you? I know what it means to me, and I know I'm in the minority. I just want to know what the majority think.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Camaro Badassery?
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Camaro Badassery?
+1!
z28 should equal the automotive definition of badassery!
Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
It's an RPO code. You order your camaro with the Z28 package.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
It's an RPO code. You order your camaro with the Z28 package.
+1
Old 10-13-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Z28 is the King of Camaros.
The top, the best, the most sought-after.

It's a trim, not an option, and it just oozes performance value.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

When GM decides, I believe it should have a different engine platform as the 69 had the 302 specific only to the Z.

Thus the LS7..

RPO agreed, but not an LS3 with supercharger.

But will likely be the LSA..
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
99-LS1-SS
Waiting...

Drives: 2009 G8 GXP M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Z28 is the King of Camaros.
The top, the best, the most sought-after.

It's a trim, not an option, and it just oozes performance value.
I thought the ZL1 was.

http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...camaro-zl1.htm
Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms and toe rods
Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
Z/28

It means my first car, which looked similair to these pictured. It means the best looking Camaro if not car on the street in my opinion.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
BBQTriAngle

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
More style... SS means power

imo
BBQTriAngle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
RSHugger

Drives: 1969 RS Camaro
The Z/28 has been many different things over the years... initially it was the simple little car that could... then it became a marketing cliche. Heritage... or what does it mean today? Just like the 5th Gen Camaro did not copy the exact lines of the first Gen Camaro... it took those lines as inspiration and brought it to the present. The same could be done for the Z28. A purpose built car, like the original. Are we worried about road racing like the original??? Probably not. What is this cars inspiration? Eating GT500s? I would like to think that, I would like that... but then it would seem we are morphing towards the ZL1. The LS7 Camaro to me exudes ZL1... a LSA equipped Camaro with tight suspension and larger brakes... that to me is Z28... the ZR1 little brother... with bite.

My two cents.
RSHugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSHugger View Post
The LS7 Camaro to me exudes ZL1... a LSA equipped Camaro with tight suspension and larger brakes... that to me is Z28... the ZR1 little brother... with bite.
I can give you a on that..On point!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
WCFB-Russ

Drives: ?????
I think RSHugger hit the right phrase for the Z28 "a purpose built car" - because thats what the Z28 really was.

The purpose of the Z28 was to allow GM to compete in a racing circuit and allow anyone to buy on Friday night, race on Saturday - right off the showroom floor without making modifications to meet class requirements (or so I've read / heard from various people).

So if we take that away from the original RPO code - the "monniker" that has come to be the Z/28 - what can we say about it? If GM sticks true to taking inspiration from the heritage of the Camaro, then they will - as was previously stated - make a "purpose built car".

Making a car that had the purpose of being the "most badass car" on the street would still be a purpose built car and be true to the original Z/28 intent. Making the car a GT500 killer would be purpose built. Anything you do will be purpose built because the car will be, honestly, driven (pun intended) towards that end.

I just wish everyone would realize this and stop fighting over who will be the top dog. Its really stupid. I mean seriously - I understand you want to think you bought "the best Camaro" - and that the Z/28 might make you think you "should have waited". But you had to have known that GM would never leave the Z/28 behind because it's become a huge symbol for the Camaro brand and could never be forgotten. The SS has fallen by the wayside - ressurected ONLY in the 4th generation of Camaros (1993-2002) and only because the fans started to ask "whatever happened to the SS?"

Because GM already had a Z/28 car in those years - naturally the SS would be the higher performing option.

So they stick a bigger engine in the current Z/28 plans - so what. As long as GM sticks to the original intent (which I have faith they will do so) then it is still purpose built - the purpose simply to be the best Camaro of them all.

If you really feel the need to go out and get a Z/28 - then do it. Make it happen. We control our lives and the only ones holding us back from doing anything we dream of is ourselves. But think about this - if you own a Camaro already, then you are a few - a special lucky few. You are the ones who can say "I had it first - I have a special car with a special history that only few can say they own. I will get the attention of hundreds if not thousands of people because I bought a car that is a rock star" (that attention will eventually die down) - because while everyone might have a Camaro in the years to come, out of all the thousands, or ten thousands, the ones that bought it first are pioneers - explorers all. You are helping not only to spread the word about one of the best cars on the road - but you are also helping to make it better. Your thoughts, your experiences, your opinions... GM is listening to this board, to what you have to say - so make it count.

Just *my* 2 cents...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
EVS Motors Inc.

Drives: '69 Camaro Twin Turbo
Z/28 also means smaller, high output engine if we reference the '60s. But I don't see GM making a smaller high output engine.
EVS Motors Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote