Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #29
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Not too concerned about track of autocross. 90% will be dry warm street use. Car is almost never driven on tracks and almost never in rain
Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #30
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
my 02 cents: PSS 295's rubbed on the fronts of 1LE at Laguna AND MORE IMPORTANT, these are the worst track tires ever! I am very aggressive and after 1 session, off they came. They get so greasy when pushed, it is crazy....NEVER AGAIN.
@ laguna I'm not surprised... laguna is HARD on brakes and tires..

Here is my experience... Keep in mind my experience is daily driving (80k miles on my 2010) and autocross racing 3-4 times a year...

PSS are great for daily driving and autocross, you wont find a lighter, longer lasting, grippyer tire. Also when they are up to temp, they stay there longer (what makes them bad for longer courses) so on autocross days that means less tire pressure fiddling...

They go down hill FAST when you get into the 2-3 minute + courses and road racing, meaning that for the middle to long distance road courses they just don't handle the heat well and get greasy..

Nittos are awesome (personal experience with the Invo and NT01 here) until you get past 50% tread. After that point they can't keep grip even on short autocross, also they change temp really quick so watching your tire pressure on track days is a chore. I also got less than half the mileage on them than I'm getting on PSS.

Ventus RS3's (the new ones that are really 180 tw but marked 200) are even better for autocross, not as good on daily driving mileage but still amazing grip. BUT they are heavier than the PSS. Haven't heard much on longer courses for these tires yet, and they are more readily available than the PSS.

I always tell people that tires are like computers and stereo systems.. It all depends on what you are 'really' going to use them for...
Old 06-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #31
atiprocharger

Drives: Black 2018 Camaro ZL1 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Don't want to rain on your parade, but I was at my local Discount Tire yesterday and they couldn't find either the 285's or the 315's anywhere. I've had an order in for over a month. If you get a confirmation can you PM me with where they got yours?
Well, you were right! Apparently I got a hold of a "new guy" that didnt know WTH he was talking about when he said he found some.
So, I had to go with the stock Goodyears for now as a replacement.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:02 PM   #32
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I had them on hold at discount tire for months and they still dont have dates.

Tirerack received some 315's in stock, so i bought those. Not sure if Michelin was lying to me or not, but i contacted them and they supposedly are going to have a production run of the 285's on 6/14.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:58 PM   #33
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by atiprocharger View Post
Well, you were right! Apparently I got a hold of a "new guy" that didnt know WTH he was talking about when he said he found some.
So, I had to go with the stock Goodyears for now as a replacement.
I got a call today from Discount Tire that the 315's are in, but no 285's on the horizon. I've ordered new Forgeline wheels in 10" and 11" and they are probably a week or so from being done. Maybe I'll have to look at 295's.