Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-13-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
strauchpete
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Fi v6 issues

Me and a co worker have been talking about this. Why can imports like Honda, and hyundai make awsome v6 cars and also easly have turbo kits available for them but us american made can't get it right or make a v6 motor like they can.
strauchpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
With this V6 I believe they (General Motors)did build a great engine. At the same time you got to remember most Asian Company's have been building small engines for a lot longer time. So they tend to have a little bit of a head start on most American car builders. The American public believe's bigger is better so the car builders have just built the tried and true v8's.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
We wanted the best of both worlds. We want the mileage of the v6 and power of the v8.
The 1967 SS/396 Camaro was clocked at 14.5 by Motor Trend. What are those here putting down?
I think GM did a great job with this motor and we're still looking for more. That is the way we do things. It'll be worked out.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
speedy_g

Drives: CAMARO RS V6
I THINK THEY DID A GREAT JOB ON THE NEW V6 ,I'M JUST SAD THAT WITH ALL THE IMPORTS OUT CHEVY SHOULD OF KNOWN THAT PEOPLE WANTed A CAR That's mod able ,,they must of not wanted people to just bye V6's
speedy_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by strauchpete View Post
Me and a co worker have been talking about this. Why can imports like Honda, and hyundai make awsome v6 cars and also easly have turbo kits available for them but us american made can't get it right or make a v6 motor like they can.
Actually -- the American's CAN make an awesome V6, 4-cylinder, V8, V10...whatever! (We make a killer Diesel, too )

Wards is a premiere automotive publication, and every year they announce their "10 best engines list". This list considers EVERY engine in the industry (so far as I know)...anyways the Camaro's V6 is right up there, and actually bumped nissan's "VQ" engine off the list.

As far as turbos....there are a bunch of reasons...from the difficulty in tuning this engine to a limited market...plus there's the SS being offered (a vehicle of a caliber most foreign makers don't produce....) which steals most of the people that would be interested in a power-adder.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Actually -- the American's CAN make an awesome V6, 4-cylinder, V8, V10...whatever! (We make a killer Diesel, too )

Wards is a premiere automotive publication, and every year they announce their "10 best engines list". This list considers EVERY engine in the industry (so far as I know)...anyways the Camaro's V6 is right up there, and actually bumped nissan's "VQ" engine off the list.

As far as turbos....there are a bunch of reasons...from the difficulty in tuning this engine to a limited market...plus there's the SS being offered (a vehicle of a caliber most foreign makers don't produce....) which steals most of the people that would be interested in a power-adder.
Agreed I have a v6 - though small mods just for sound (like cai) are fun if power was a concern the SS would be a fare cheaper way to get it vs moding a v6.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #7
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
DI DI DI DI swy!
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I can't think of any hondas or hyundai's off the top of my head with a v6 and turbo...
Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
devildoc

Drives: '12 Toyota Tacoma Dbl
Genesis cpe 2.0T & V6.....direct competition!
Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Well the 2.0 is a 4 banger. Didn't know there was a turbo out for their v6. Interesting
Old 06-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

keep in mind that the v6 is the base engine option for this car.

for imports, their v6's are the top end engine.

that mixed with the "normally less than profitable" aftermarket for v6's, its going to take a little bit for the aftermarket to get into full swing behind this motor.

the LS3/L99 engine architecture has been around for over a decade now. this new v6 is still young. just give it some time
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The problem is that companies stupidly want to invest only in the top available trim levels. They find that investement in the SS, GT, Si, or whatever else is out there has been profitable. What they frequently overlook is that the people with lower trims are more numerous and more motivated to step up to that level of performance.

If you only invest in top trim levels, then you tend to invest in 6-cylinder imports and 8-cylinder domestics. Imports from Asia don't make many V8s. European companies usually make products with luxury in mind, so performance is not as important to buyers. People who really want a fast luxury car can afford the expensive higher trims, like M5s, and don't need to modify them much to get a lot of speed.

Companies have announced an intention to make V6 forced induction parts, but no one seems to be willing to follow through in a reasonable amount of time. I have a lot of trouble believing the excuses that it was somehow easier to tune the V8 or that the V8 features were easier to figure out because this happens on every single car. The top trim gets stuff first because companies think that they'll make more money out of a smaller market. It never makes sense, but it is the way these guys will keep operating, so we have to be patient.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Companies have announced an intention to make V6 forced induction parts, but no one seems to be willing to follow through in a reasonable amount of time. I have a lot of trouble believing the excuses that it was somehow easier to tune the V8 or that the V8 features were easier to figure out because this happens on every single car. The top trim gets stuff first because companies think that they'll make more money out of a smaller market. It never makes sense, but it is the way these guys will keep operating, so we have to be patient.

well, in this particular instance, the LS engine design has been out for quite some time. changing the routing of a couple primary tubes on a set of headers (originally made for say... an LS2) is a lot easier than designing new ones for a v6.

aaaaaaaaaaand... how much more business do you think the companies are getting when the cars with their parts are the ones that are setting the records.

either way, I want to see some serious mods for the v6 come out
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy_g View Post
I THINK THEY DID A GREAT JOB ON THE NEW V6 ,I'M JUST SAD THAT WITH ALL THE IMPORTS OUT CHEVY SHOULD OF KNOWN THAT PEOPLE WANTed A CAR That's mod able ,,they must of not wanted people to just bye V6's
Are you kidding? Before you know it there will be all kinds of power adders for this engine. Give it time. It hasn't been in existence very long. Good things happen for those that wait.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote