Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #29
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Ok. I have some new information.

The length of delay that the Axxess Trigger causes is very amp specific. My Alpine V12 MRV-F357 takes roughly 6 seconds to turn on and produce audio. My older Alpine 3527S takes just over 1 second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post
Thanks a ton! That is interesting. I guess I don't use the mute that often so it probably wouldn't be a big deal.

I assume there isn't a delay if you just have the radio turned off? I would guess that the amp stays on and you would hear the turn signal or Bluetooth ring right away?
If the radio is off, the mute is active. So, that means if the phone rings or you use a turn signal, it will have the same delay.

Since the delay is amp specific, it may not be much of a delay.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Cool. Thanks a ton for the info! I guess I'll just have to try it with my amp and see what happens.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #31
SuperH
Synergized

Drives: 2011 SGM M6 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to SuperH Send a message via AIM to SuperH Send a message via MSN to SuperH Send a message via Yahoo to SuperH
The reason this happens I just explained in another thread... IF you have a Class AB amplifier:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257121

From my response in that thread:
That's normal. All that is, are the bootstrap capacitors discharging across the voice coil. The stored energy has to go somewhere.

In a Class AB push-pull design, the bootstrap capacitors have positive feedback to bias the output voltage to levels higher than the supply can provide.

It's normal. It doesn't generally happen with Class D, unless your crossover network causes it.

If you're driving higher frequencies, you'll hear "snaps" through your tweeters in an equivalent fashion to the "thump" you hear in your subwoofer. The same stored energy would dissipate sooner over a tweeter than a woofer, since they require more energy to drive to the same levels (remember, this is logarithmic). So, for the people who have four channel amps wired up to feed tweeters/mids with two channels and (a) sub(s) with two channels, they'll generally hear:
SNAP-SNAP (tweeters)... (slight delay)... THUD (subwoofer).

---
But... home audio systems have Class AB amplifiers quite often. Why doesn't this occur?

Do you hear this "click" sound every time you turn off your home audio system? It sounds like a relay? That's because it is. This relay opens, so you never hear a pop in the speakers. Short across the relay and you can test this - you'll hear the pop at home, too!
Old 10-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #32
Casper45th

Drives: 2012 45th SSRS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperH View Post
The reason this happens I just explained in another thread... IF you have a Class AB amplifier:

That's normal. All that is, are the bootstrap capacitors discharging across the voice coil. The stored energy has to go somewhere.

In a Class AB push-pull design, the bootstrap capacitors have positive feedback to bias the output voltage to levels higher than the supply can provide.

It's normal. It doesn't generally happen with Class D, unless your crossover network causes it.

If you're driving higher frequencies, you'll hear "snaps" through your tweeters in an equivalent fashion to the "thump" you hear in your subwoofer. The same stored energy would dissipate sooner over a tweeter than a woofer, since they require more energy to drive to the same levels (remember, this is logarithmic). So, for the people who have four channel amps wired up to feed tweeters/mids with two channels and (a) sub(s) with two channels, they'll generally hear:

---
But... home audio systems have Class AB amplifiers quite often. Why doesn't this occur?

Do you hear this "click" sound every time you turn off your home audio system? It sounds like a relay? That's because it is. This relay opens, so you never hear a pop in the speakers. Short across the relay and you can test this - you'll hear the pop at home, too!
As do sound reinforcement systems in auditoriums, churches, etc. The lazy man's work around for many decades has been to simply turn the amps off, waiting about 15 to 30 seconds, and then turn off the mixing console.

Refreshing to see someone that truly understands all of this from an engineering aspect.
Casper45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #33
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:

---

I have it with Alpine PDX (class D) amps. That's a nice explanation of why it happens. What is the fix?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:

---

I understand what you are saying, but I don't buy it. The reason I don't buy it is because when I pair the exact same amp and speakers to a different source (like my new headunit), I get a different outcome (i.e. no pops). From your explanation, the source should have zero effect on the p/c/t.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Has no one come to a conclusion to this problem yet????
I'm using all Sound Stream speakers except for my subs. I'm running 2 PowerAcoustik 10 inch subs and two PowerAcoustik Amps. I only get the pop after turn off.
i have the gains set where the pop doesn't bother me but i want to crank these amps up and i can't because of this damn pop.

And to add another question to this mess what are you all doing with your onstar? if i crank up my amps when onstar kicks in it blows my ear drums out. Is there anyway around this or do all of you just not use onstar anymore with your new systems?
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
How is your Axxess Trigger wired?

My system never popped until I added an MS-8. Now it pops. The problem is that my radio turns off before the MS-8 turns off. I tried using an Axxess Trigger, but then my amp never turns on.

How is your trigger wired?

Mine is wired as follows:
  • Pin 1 (black): ground
  • Pin 2 (purple): ground
  • Pin 4 (pink): ground
  • Pin 8 (blue): Remote input on MS-8
  • Pin 9 (brown): Remote output from stock HU
  • Pin 10 (gray): Amp mute output from stock HU
  • Pin 11 (yellow): +12v
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #37
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
So can somebody list what type of amps should not pop, or better yet, list the brand and model that retain all the stock functions of the factory BA radio and do not pop on power off?

To add to the equation. I had the X3 harness hooked up to power My Fosgate Sub amp and had NO pop. When I replace the stock BA amp and fed the Fosgate Sub amp thru the new amp pass thru. I have the NR16 GLI on all the RCA connections and now I get the power off pop thru both amps?
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM   #38
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
So can somebody list what type of amps should not pop, or better yet, list the brand and model that retain all the stock functions of the factory BA radio and do not pop on power off?

To add to the equation. I had the X3 harness hooked up to power My Fosgate Sub amp and had NO pop. When I replace the stock BA amp and fed the Fosgate Sub amp thru the new amp pass thru. I have the NR16 GLI on all the RCA connections and now I get the power off pop thru both amps?
All amps that can amplify will retain all the functions of the car. In your case the pop is coming thru your 4ch amp and being passed on. This is why I have always recommended the JL amps over anything else because they tend to filter it out by themselves and give off no pop at all. One thing you can do is instead of getting your sub signal from the 1st amp, split the signal before the amp via some "y" adapters. Then it will be hooked up the way you had it before you replaced the amp.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
FRANK121

does JL make a 4 channel amp that has 100watts x 4 @ 4ohms with a pass thru for the sub amp?

Would these amps work without the pop?

JL Audio XD400/4 (75watts x 4 @ 4ohms) Low wattage?
JL Audio HD600/4 (150watt x 4 @ 4ohms)
Never been Dynoed

Last edited by FRANK121; 12-27-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #40
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
My system still pops when ignition is turned off and I'm using Jl amps.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #41
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
You don't need 100w per channel for the fronts. The more power you send to the front, the louder it will make your chimes and onstar voice. 60-75w is plenty for most of us. The xd amps have rca outs on them.

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 12-27-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #42
FRANK121

PIPE, Which JL amps are you using that still pop? And are you using the FARK kit with Ground loop isolators?
Never been Dynoed