Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
How Much can it handle?

Hey guys, ive been hearing that Direct Injection makes tuning more difficult, and that the high compression ratio makes FI a little dangerous, how much do you think you can gain without going FI on the 3.6 DI, besides the cold air intake and exhausts?
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
If by FI you mean fuel injected, you would pretty much have to reprogram the ECU, wouldn't you? And like mod the engine and stuff so it goes back to old fashioned fuel injection, which ruins the point of the engine.
Last I heard, nobody has cracked the ECU on that engine yet. So then you would have to heavily retrofit the engine with a bunch of old gear that might not get you the HP that the engine had before you started mucking about. And I imagine that could end up getting close to costing you as much as it would to get an SS.
Of course I am only a computer desk mechanic, so everything i typed may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
oh sorry i meant, forced induction, like supershargers or turbos, i wanted to know what other things i could do to bump up my numbers
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Well, You've got some people saying that the DI makes no difference in how the motor handles boost, and others saying that the high comp. isn't as big of an issue because of the DI.

Honestly, I don't think anyone knows for sure.

I'm just going to sit back and watch
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
1 Horsepower...

In all seriousness, I'm shooting for naturally aspirated 380 flywheel horses for under 2500 on my 3.6 DI - at least, the one I will be getting - and have a solid plan for getting there. 400 wouldn't take much more, but I don't want to sacrifice the fuel economy to get there.
- Xanthos

P.S. - In case you're interested, I'm going with a custom spectre modular air intake, ported throttle body for venturi effect, semi-full exhaust (shorty headers once somebody makes them, high flow cats, mufflers), higher ratio rocker arms, and custom tune. I'm reasonably confident this will get me to at least 380 flywheel horses, if not more, seeing how a cold air intake and cat-back with no tune netted 340 flywheel horses on the CTS with this engine. IF somebody makes a set of mild cams for the right price, and they don't seriously effect fuel economy, I might hook myself up with a set as well to hit that 400 flywheel horsepower mark. I might also advance the ignition timing a few (2-3) degrees and see where that gets me.

P.P.S - As far as DI and boost - in some ways it will help, in others it won't. You still have to worry about blowing gaskets and whatnot from the sheer pressure, but the DI has a cooling effect on the air/fuel mixture - not to mention that the droplets are smaller so will provide a more even mixture - that will burn more evenly with less chance of knock. Its like having an inherent intercooler. At least, on paper. We won't know for sure till somebody straps a turbo/super up to one.

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
1 Horsepower...

In all seriousness, I'm shooting for naturally aspirated 380 flywheel horses for under 2500 on my 3.6 DI - at least, the one I will be getting - and have a solid plan for getting there. 400 wouldn't take much more, but I don't want to sacrifice the fuel economy to get there.
- Xanthos

P.S. - In case you're interested, I'm going with a custom spectre modular air intake, ported throttle body for venturi effect, semi-full exhaust (shorty headers once somebody makes them, high flow cats, mufflers), higher ratio rocker arms, and custom tune. I'm reasonably confident this will get me to at least 380 flywheel horses, if not more, seeing how a cold air intake and cat-back with no tune netted 340 flywheel horses on the CTS with this engine. IF somebody makes a set of mild cams for the right price, and they don't seriously effect fuel economy, I might hook myself up with a set as well to hit that 400 flywheel horsepower mark. I might also advance the ignition timing a few (2-3) degrees and see where that gets me.

P.P.S - As far as DI and boost - in some ways it will help, in others it won't. You still have to worry about blowing gaskets and whatnot from the sheer pressure, but the DI has a cooling effect on the air/fuel mixture - not to mention that the droplets are smaller so will provide a more even mixture - that will burn more evenly with less chance of knock. Its like having an inherent intercooler. At least, on paper. We won't know for sure till somebody straps a turbo/super up to one.
Doesn't D3 have a cts with a supercharger on it?
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
wow... why do I feel a sense of deja vu?

oh thats right....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...rect+injection

5 lbs non intercooled, 6+ intercool or run against the clock.

direct injection should make tuning easier. as well as FI as you dont have to worry about the air/fuel mixture preigniting as much as you used to.

and there is a s/c alread for the v-6

Quote:
D3's latest project is a supercharger for the direct-injected 3.6L V-6 powering the 2009 Cadillac CTS that should make around 400 hp and will slot neatly between the stock 300-hp engine and the 556-hp 6.2L V-8 of the CTS-V.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post

Yeah, until the Camaro comes out and the aftermarket vendors get their hands on it all we can do is speculate.

Quote:
1 Horsepower...

- Xanthos

Reasonably with all of the mods you mentioned you probably could get 70-80hp out of the V6 w out going F.I. but I would predict that to be at most.

But with what you just mentioned, that's probably easily 3-4k in mods, if not more. I guess doing it over a period of time may not be soo bad, but for around the same price you may be able to just convert to F.I. and get better power... Maybe, Maybe not....

With just full bolt-ons probably a 30-40hp increase.

Again there's no way of really telling until the Camaro is out....

Last edited by SS4EVER; 12-15-2008 at 12:02 AM.
SS4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Quote:
the DI has a cooling effect on the air/fuel mixture - not to mention that the droplets are smaller so will provide a more even mixture - that will burn more evenly with less chance of knock. Its like having an inherent intercooler. At least, on paper. We won't know for sure till somebody straps a turbo/super up to one.
Volkswagen's latest 2.0 turbo engine is DI, I'm pretty sure. IIRC, the great thing about DI is that you can change when the fuel is injected, so you don't have to worry about knock; DI should be better than SFI for FI.

Sorry about the vagueness. I'd apologize for the heavy use of acronyms too, but that was necessary. You know, I could type a couple dozen more characters to spell out "forced induction", "direct injection", and "sequential fuel injection"...or I could type out this long-winded explanation instead. I mean, really, what would you do?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Yeah, until the Camaro comes out and the aftermarket vendors get their hands on it all we can do is speculate.

Reasonably with all of the mods you mentioned you probably could get 70-80hp out of the V6 w out going F.I. but I would predict that to be at most.

But with what you just mentioned, that's probably easily 3-4k in mods, if not more. I guess doing it over a period of time may not be soo bad, but for around the same price you may be able to just convert to F.I. and get better power... Maybe, Maybe not....

With just full bolt-ons probably a 30-40hp increase.

Again there's no way of really telling until the Camaro is out....
Well, We already know that the LLT nets just about 40 flywheel horses from intake and catback alone, with no tune. My intake will be quite a bit more sophisticated than the one D3 used, so I expect to net about 5 more horses on top of that from the intake. Drop 5 horses because I'm not changing out the pipes, just the mufflers, as far has "cat-back" goes. At about 3 horses per high flow cat, we're looking at 10 for that. It seems pretty much the common conclusion that a tune would net 15 horses or so. That means that headers AND rocker arm swaps would need to net me 15 horses, with the tune, for me to hit my 380 mark. Doesn't seem unreasonable at all to me, and thats not even including the cam swap.

As far as prices being 3-4k? I don't know where you did your math, but let me show you mine:

Custom Intake - $150 - Made/Installed by me.
Mufflers - $200 - Installed at local exhaust shop
High Flow Cats - $400 - Installed at local exhaust shop
Headers - $300 - Installed at local exhaust shop
Throttle Body Port - Free - Done by me.
Rocker Arms - $500 - Installed by me/my step-dad.
Tune - $500

Total - 2050 before you talk labor at the exhaust shop, and my exhaust shop is really fair on they're labor prices. How you got 3-4k is beyond me.
- Xanthos

P.S. - D3's supercharged caddy was still in prototype phases, last I checked. I haven't been following it avidly though, because I'm more of a turbo or naturally aspirated guy.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
Well, You've got some people saying that the DI makes no difference in how the motor handles boost, and others saying that the high comp. isn't as big of an issue because of the DI.

Aye all this inspector gadget stuff is lolerz...

Some of these people.... it's like inspector gadget...

If your gonna spend big bucks go v8. Half the fun is at the stoplight when it's rumbling. No offense to the V6 and V6 modders but it's like

"omg can it accept noobian hyperdrive motovators??"... etc. etc.. overkill.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
hmpf. There's more to life than 8 cylinders.

j.k., of course
Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
ZYAL8R

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Aye all this inspector gadget stuff is lolerz...

Some of these people.... it's like inspector gadget...

If your gonna spend big bucks go v8. Half the fun is at the stoplight when it's rumbling. No offense to the V6 and V6 modders but it's like

HUH?!
ZYAL8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 AM   #14
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:

First off, I've driven V8 cars before - plenty of them. And I don't think I'm going to miss out on the rumble at the stoplight thing just because I'm buying a V6. My car will rumble too - in fact, once its done I would be surprised if most people would mistake it FOR a V8.

If I wanted the horsepower potential to be higher, then yes, I'd be getting the V8 instead of the V6. But I don't. The V6 will easily get to the amount of power that I want and I don't want any more than that. Plus, insurance will be loads cheaper, payments will be cheaper, gas mileage will be better, and I can honestly say I would enjoy the car more. With the V8 I would be tempted to line it up at the stop light. This way I won't.

And, I'm eventually going to turn my car into a road race car - maybe some autocross too. So, I'll be getting the V6 for its lighter weight and superior weight distribution. Also, if I can get my car to 380 horses and pull the 100 lbs I would like to drop, I'll have a 9.6 to one power to weight ratio, compared to the V8's 9.3 to one - close enough for what I want, seeing how I'm shooting for a 13 second 1/4. Plus, fuel economy will be better, and the price will be cheaper overall. Total price for the way I want my car is going to come up to just under 26,000 - thats 5,000 worth of mods and its still 5,000 less than the V8's MSRP. And it'll be close enough in speed to be able to take an average driver. Maybe even more because I'll be swapping the suspension too, which should make up for that .3 to one power to weight difference.

I understand that all of this probably means absolutely nothing to you V8 guys, but what it means to me is that I don't give a rats a$$ what you think my car should be. I know how I want my car to be - run, sound, look - and I will have it just like that. And I will be happy with it just the way it is.

So, don't come over here to the V6 forum tooting your own horn about how the V8 is so much better than the V6. Go to the V8 forum for that. Those of us over here know what we want just like you know what you want and you don't have to be a dick just because they aren't the same thing.
- Xanthos