Drives: 2017 ZL1
no front plate on my car whatsoever!
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #16
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
I only have 600 miles on my car, so far, but I find it seems less likely to hit going into parking lots than my Gen5 ZL1. I was thinking about welding on a little skid plate to add reinforcement to the mount. The motorized mount would be a waste of money. One good curb hit, and you'll scatter all the electronics all over the place. I'm not a fan of the plate being up, and to the left. I got a thing for symmetry. Bottom line, there is no good place for a front plate.
I totally agree that at the end of the day there really is no good place for the front plate on the ZL1. Unfortunately where I live (Ontario) without having a front plate I will just bring more attention to myself and the car.

I also agree that not having it in the center sucks BUT looking at the front a little closer it looks the 11 exchange coolers are below and so the plate regardless of it being on the left or in center will not effect air flow.
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I haven't seen how it mounts....I just assumed there was drilling involved....if there is no drilling into bumpers and/or covers..., I may consider it.
The only holes that you have to drill are in the mount plate. You use the 2 most forward screws in the bumper/splitter. No drilling into the vehicle is required.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #18
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
The only holes that you have to drill are in the mount plate. You use the 2 most forward screws in the bumper/splitter. No drilling into the vehicle is required.
Hate to be a pest....any pictures? Or instruction diagram?

I'm really interested because this would mark the first no-dril front plate holder by a manufacturer I've seen!
Old 01-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #19
Canadian ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 1995 Trans Am
Quote:
So just to be clear if you take the factory lic plate bracket option they do not drill into the front bumper? I haven't been able to find a picture as I don't know the placement and how high? Does it effect the airflow coming in?

I guess it comes down to preference on if you like it centered or off the left. Pick your poison gentlemen.
Canadian ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #20
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian ZL1 View Post
So just to be clear if you take the factory lic plate bracket option they do not drill into the front bumper? I haven't been able to find a picture as I don't know the placement and how high? Does it effect the airflow coming in?

I guess it comes down to preference on if you like it centered or off the left. Pick your poison gentlemen.
I am not using a factory plate bracket. I do believe it is no drill. Here is a pic of a non-ZL1, but they are all the same, I believe.
Attached Images