Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-26-2011, 03:56 PM   #127
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruznls View Post
We like to "Change the Filter" every 3000 to 5000 miles then
top off the oil...
Which is a very good idea with your average off the shelf filter.

My point/counterpoint on these topics is mainly about the oil. Today's off the shelf oils should go the length of the
OLM with ease. Other oils can surpass what the OLM tells you. Highly doubtful we will ever know what oil filter GM used during all their testing and research. But, i'm pretty sure it's safe to say they used a Delco filter.

I personally would only let two filters go the distance of the OLM. Those filters would be Amsoil Ea15k50 and Mobil1 M1-113. Any other filter I would highly recommend a filter change with a top off of oil at 50%. If you fall into the once a year category because you don't drive it that often, then one filter would be fine.

I currently have a Delco on the car. I am going to do an analysis when the oil is changed. On the upcoming oil change I am installing a Amsoil Ea15K50 with Mobil1 oil since we have a free oil change. I will let that go the distance of the OLM and do an analysis at that oil change. The oil change after that I am going to use Amsoil signature series with an Amsoil Ea15k50 oil filter.

Last edited by NavyDood; 06-27-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Updated info
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #128
J Webb

Drives: 2010 2ss iom
How does the alogorithm calculate cylinder pressure which adds pressure at all friction points, causing the depletion rate of zdp to be much faster. My oil life monitor with 8lbs of boost doesnt move any faster, although the car does. I'm honestly scared to trust it. At 8,000 it still reads 40%. Thats 8,000 haulin ass too. My L99 starts ticking a little more on start ups after bout 6,000. In stock form 8qts, oil cooler, low friction, I'm thinking !0,000 probably ok. I was hoping that I would see a difference in the oil life with the extra 200 horse. I didnt. I'm thinking I might want to change at 50%. Anybody else with extra boost know?
J Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #129
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Webb View Post
How does the alogorithm calculate cylinder pressure which adds pressure at all friction points, causing the depletion rate of zdp to be much faster. My oil life monitor with 8lbs of boost doesnt move any faster, although the car does. I'm honestly scared to trust it. At 8,000 it still reads 40%. Thats 8,000 haulin ass too. My L99 starts ticking a little more on start ups after bout 6,000. In stock form 8qts, oil cooler, low friction, I'm thinking !0,000 probably ok. I was hoping that I would see a difference in the oil life with the extra 200 horse. I didnt. I'm thinking I might want to change at 50%. Anybody else with extra boost know?
It takes into account a pre-determined value. The software doesn't know (outside of increased heat, etc) that you have a supercharger on the car.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:40 PM   #130
camaro2009
camaro2009

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 AGM 6M #0369
Send a message via Yahoo to camaro2009
good read... i only have 4200 miles and had car 7 months. OLM still says 71%. I was stressing whether or not, i was waiting to long. Growing up dad always drilled into my head( while laying under the 1979 Malibu 267cu in, V-8. Change oil every 3000 miles boy). Now i will wait until 5000 for the first oil change.
1974 Camaro Type LT
1995 Camaro Plum V-6 Auto 80k original miles

Traded the '10 SS for the BAD ASS 2013 ZL-1 AGM ,M-6 Once again the thanks go out to my wonderful wife and a chance encounter while servicing my Duramax!! Destiny......nope...FATE
camaro2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #131
J Webb

Drives: 2010 2ss iom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It takes into account a pre-determined value. The software doesn't know (outside of increased heat, etc) that you have a supercharger on the car.
So what would be a good recommended interval? Do you think the ZL1 will have a different set of values? I guess its hard to guess, but if you had to, 6-8,000? You would think there would be a way of measuring load %.
J Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #132
justmeron

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to justmeron
I usually wait till I get around 5%. Usually 5%-10% I schedule a visit for an oil change. About 1-2 times a year for me, pretty neat. It is still under waranty so even better.

Life is not like a box of chocolates, its more like eating a whole jar of jalapenos.... what you do today may burn your ass tomorrow!!!!
justmeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #133
DUGG

Drives: 2010 Imperial Blue Metallic 2LT
I used Mobil 1 in my '98 Z-28 and I put over 245,000 miles on it....and it never missed a beat. I usually changed it at 7500 miles. I use the same Mobil 1 and change it ever 7500 on my 2010. The only complaint that I have is that there should be an indicator showing HOW MUCH oil is actually in your car. Sometimes, I haven't lost a drop, and sometimes I'm half a quart low between changes at 7500 miles. What causes the difference? Heat?
DUGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 AM   #134
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I have been arguing this with people for so long. Cars these days just last longer with oil. Oil is better, motors are built better, 3,000 miles was being dropped in the 90's. Even my 95 ///M3 was rated for changes at 15,000 miles. Funny though, I took my Camaro in a few weeks ago and they always keep writing 3,000 miles on the window take that I always take off right away. It kinda of makes me think the tech doesn't know what he is doing, but I think it's to have people still change their oil at 3,000 miles when not needed. More money for them.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:08 AM   #135
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUGG View Post
I used Mobil 1 in my '98 Z-28 and I put over 245,000 miles on it....and it never missed a beat. I usually changed it at 7500 miles. I use the same Mobil 1 and change it ever 7500 on my 2010. The only complaint that I have is that there should be an indicator showing HOW MUCH oil is actually in your car. Sometimes, I haven't lost a drop, and sometimes I'm half a quart low between changes at 7500 miles. What causes the difference? Heat?
Maybe because it doesn't all drain out?
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #136
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
GM Fuels and Lubes? Gotta be hard to work there with all the snickers.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #137
BackinBlack
KASPR

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS LS3
Can anyone comment on the OLM ability to adjust when you store the vehicle six months at a time?

I change the oil the day before it goes into storage, but always wonder what happens as it sits in my garage for six month. According the the OLM, it doesn't degrade, not even 1%. But I don't think the OLM can check a calendar and realize six months of garage temperature cycling has occured from Nov to April. Or can it?

From my normal summer driving I've never seen the OLM lower than 80%, and it gets changed at the end of every season, but I'd still like to know more detail about the OLM ability to account for months of storage, if someone can comment.

With conventional oil I'd be changing before *and* after every eason, but with the synthetic I'm not sure what the storage does to it.
BackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #138
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
So what would be a good recommended interval? Do you think the ZL1 will have a different set of values? I guess its hard to guess, but if you had to, 6-8,000? You would think there would be a way of measuring load %.
The ZL1 will have an OLMS specifically tailored to it's engine specifications. That's one of the benefits the article referred to - is that the software can be modified for each vehicle it's used in to return the most accurate report.

As for a recommended interval...I don't know. It would interesting to see if anyone has done an oil sampling after an after-market supercharger was installed and compared the degradation to stock...But I just don't know - I'm far from an expert on engine lubrication. I just know what I've read about GMs OLM system.

If it were my car? I'd change at 25-50% until I researched and found a better answer/solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlack View Post
Can anyone comment on the OLM ability to adjust when you store the vehicle six months at a time?

From my normal summer driving I've never seen the OLM lower than 80%, and it gets changed at the end of every season, but I'd still like to know more detail about the OLM ability to account for months of storage, if someone can comment.
That's a great question, and one I'd love to know the answer to! Does the OLMS take into account rest time?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #139
superchris
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO'S 3CC5

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS/RS M6
SO WHAT KIND OF OIL ARE YOU GUYS USING ON THE SS??!? TYPE/W
superchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #140
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Dragoneye pretty much covered it. If you want your own baseline so you know what your engine is doing, change the oil and do an oil analysis at 25% increments. In the end it may cost you the price of analyzing the oil four times, but at least you will have a baseline to go off of.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote