Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #71
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Although there seems to be some negativity in here by the closed minded folks, I for one want to say congrats on your new purchase! I'm not going to lie - knowing I could get a Volt and lower my monthly car payment by $40 a month is very attractive to me. I have a 65 mile round trip drive to and from work and the thought of being able to only use gas for 5 miles each day is highly attractive. It's another perk of working at General Motors HQ since there's charging stations for Volt owners to use - I could charge overnight at home, drive to work, charge while I'm at work, and drive home.

The numbers Volt owners are getting for "gas mileage" is truly amazing. There's a website called voltstats.net where Volt owners are tracking their mileage - both electric and gas. Right now the site's average MPG is 119... booyah, that's awesome.
Thats the other awesome thing. There are tons of charging stations where I work. So I can practically drive the car for free.
Again My financial incentive is low. Although I will be saving about 80 bucks a month in lower payments.
Ill definitely be sad to see the camaro go. Its my first new car and its been a freaking awesome car.
The other reason is this this fella I added to my life.

tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #72
tangorover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
You should of made your Camaro alternative fueled. Corn or Grease Powered. That way you keep the Camaro and get your HOV sticker.

I think the biggest drawback is what do you do when your battery pack goes dead in 5 years? The batteries cost 10K-15K.

All that aside.. Enjoy your new ride.
So part of the carpool sticker arrangement is that Chevy has to guarantee the battery and Voltec components for 15 years. But I have faith in Chevy.Out here in the Bay Area buying american is more or less an taboo. The first reactions from all my friends for my camaro was "Its an awesome car but it won't last more than a year".
After everyone's toyota's going back 3 times for recalls I can confidently say My Chevy camaro is rock solid with nary a squeak or problem.

Im actually getting a Lease on the car for 3 years which is the time when the carpool sticker will expire.
BTW A little mini review for the Volt. The Volt is not a fast car by any margin BTW it is freaking fun... It accelerates good and you can really feel the torque. Of course it still feels like A 2LT camaro towing a Bronco. but its not bad.
Theres a lot of cool tech in the Volt and I think eventually Camaro and other cars in Chevy's lineup will get those enhancements.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #73
tangorover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyshallsmite View Post
Oh god, a volt? Thats a damn expensive sticker ya getting there man, i mean i get the whole save gas and time thing but damn volts are insanely over priced (esp with the whole battery replacement thing every 5yrs). Also i really couldn't imagine going back to the life of a 100hp, its just so boring lol. Also you are now officially a hippie magnet lol :P. Least ya still rocking out a chevy
The Volt might be down on Horsepower ... BTW its got a 278-ftlb torque. Same as a camaro. Now I don't mean its fast but in gear acceleration is good. Getting from 20 to lets say 30 is not bad at all. Feel like you are doing so in 4th gear (on a manual 2LT).

I know a Lot of people here have two cars. The camaro is their baby and they also have a regular everyday/family car. Now I wish I was that lucky :-D. Think of the volt as the replacement for your Camry/Malibu/Accord etc and it will make more sense.
Also to all the people here talking about math and volt and price .. when did we car folks ever complain about something we like being overpriced. Im sure there are a whole bunch of Kia driving folks that complain about the Camaro being a pointless car that is "too expensive". Lets not be one of those folks. If you want something there is no price tag for it.

That said I am trying to see if I can somehow keep the camaro and still get the volt. Ill have to see what the lease deal works out. If I can get a lease under 400 Ill probably payoff the camaro and still keep it. Lets see how it goes....
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #74
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyshallsmite View Post
Oh god, a volt? Thats a damn expensive sticker ya getting there man, i mean i get the whole save gas and time thing but damn volts are insanely over priced (esp with the whole battery replacement thing every 5yrs). Also i really couldn't imagine going back to the life of a 100hp, its just so boring lol. Also you are now officially a hippie magnet lol :P. Least ya still rocking out a chevy
The battery is warrantied for 8 years. And even then, all that's going to happen is that it'll start losing charge little by little. There's no reason to replace the battery unless it completely loses charge, which would probably be around 12-15 years.

Lots of misinformation in here.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #75
tangorover

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggercamaro21 View Post
Bought a volt a couple weeks ago. Absolutely love this car. We still have our Camaro, but it rarely gets driven because of the gas prices. We have gone about 1000 miles and used about 5 gallons of gas. The volt is actually really fun to drive too, it was very surprising to me.
isn't it. I was shocked... Its kindda like driving My 2LT one gear too high. Its not fast BUT not pokey like the Prius either.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #76
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangorover View Post
Alas guys, after 2 years of the most awesome experience in my life I am finally leaving the Camaro Nation. (Im getting a VOLT but thats another post).

As my volt gets closer to delivery I am really starting to contemplate what It would mean to not drive a camaro.
For 2 years I have driven with the smug confidence that I have the meanest car on the road. For some odd reason when you drive the camaro (now in its 3rd year) you really still special special. I still have people come up to me and compliment me and have vallet's get happy. I personally think short of a Lambo the camaro is the only car that you could pull up with at a 5 star Hotel and not feel awkward and out of place between all the 50K+ cars.

Anyways just wanted to get it off my chest. Maybe once I can afford 2 cars I will have another Camaro...
I really have a strong feeling I will be one of those guys that 15 years later will regret that I ever sold off my camaro and will be spending big bucks to buy a "vintage" Summit White 2010 with IOM stripes and Interior with the RS package.
It'll be hard to leave the hollywood behind....but that Volt will be just as cool in a different way, I think. Besides - you become a VERY high-priority customer with a Volt.

Looking forward to hear what you think of it!