Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-08-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
mexiken

Drives: Sofia: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS LS3
Just ordered a Camaro. Tips/things I should know ????

I just ordered a 2012 Imperial Blue Metallic 2SS 6 Speed with the RS package (I NEEDED the halo rings) and a sunroof and Hurst shifter. It should arrive in 4 to 6 weeks, its being built as I write this.

Is there anything I should know ???? I was reading on here about engine break-in, but saw some conflicting ideas, what is recommended ???? I really don't want to burn oil in a 40K+ car. Any issues I'm going to notice that have easy mods/fixes, or mods/fixes at all, or no fixes at all ????

I'm planning on tinting the windows and getting some subwoofers installed pretty soon after receiving, and maybe modifying the doors.

I also was going to purchase a stripe package, but noticed I can get the same kinds of packages online MUCH cheaper, and I have a couple of friends (and a family member) that can probably throw them on for me. What does everyone feel about this ????

The community around here seems VERY helpful, so I decided to join. If you guys don't have any of this kind of info in a central location, someone should make a sticky. This would REALLY help those of us new to the Camaro scene.

Any help/advice/insight would help. Thanks.
mexiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Jimbabwe

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
I would recommend telling the dealer that you don't want them washing the car. Wash it yourself with the standard 2 bucket wash, and a good claybar to get it nice and clean.
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #3
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Ask your dealer not to install the front license plate bracket if your state requires one. It requires drilling holes in your bumper, which sucks. There's tons of alternatives that look much better that require no drilling. Whish I had done the same when I ordered mine
Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbabwe View Post
I would recommend telling the dealer that you don't want them washing the car. Wash it yourself with the standard 2 bucket wash, and a good claybar to get it nice and clean.
Why is them washing it a problem????
Old 02-08-2012, 02:30 AM   #5
Powhusku

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiken View Post
Some dealers aren't very gentle when they do the wash, and can leave swirl marks and such on the paint. Its not a huge deal if you aren't anal about the paint. One of the reasons I chose a SIM is because it hides any blemishes in the paint really well. To be honest, the dealer probably wont hurt your call at all when washing it, and in the unlikely event they do, they are usually ready to fix any of your issues, especially with a new car! I wouldn't worry about it, just be ready for a new addiction to be introduced into your life, especially if you decide to start modding.

Also, this is my 500th post! :party0038:
Old 02-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
Ask your dealer not to install the front license plate bracket if your state requires one. It requires drilling holes in your bumper, which sucks. There's tons of alternatives that look much better that require no drilling. Whish I had done the same when I ordered mine
Can you direct me to some alternatives as a front plate IS required in my state, thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
MY2012RS

Drives: 2012 1LT
Quote:
noobs what can you do?..lol
Just kidding..Good luck with your new SS when you get it
Old 02-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #8
Powhusku

This one requires no drilling and puts the license plate really low and looks good: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186523

This one is retractable so its good for car shows. However it does require drilling under your bumper: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34925
Old 02-08-2012, 02:48 AM   #9
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powhusku View Post
Some dealers aren't very gentle when they do the wash, and can leave swirl marks and such on the paint. Its not a huge deal if you aren't anal about the paint. One of the reasons I chose a SIM is because it hides any blemishes in the paint really well. To be honest, the dealer probably wont hurt your call at all when washing it, and in the unlikely event they do, they are usually ready to fix any of your issues, especially with a new car! I wouldn't worry about it, just be ready for a new addiction to be introduced into your life, especially if you decide to start modding.

Also, this is my 500th post! :party0038:
SIM????

And I'll just ask them to be very careful.

And I do plan a few mods probably. Mostly to make it go faster

Congrats on your 500th post!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
Powhusku

Quote:
SIM????

And I'll just ask them to be very careful.

And I do plan a few mods probably. Mostly to make it go faster

Congrats on your 500th post!!!!
Thanks. SIM means "Silver Ice Metallic" which is the color of my car
Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #11
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Make sure you have them fill it with premium,otherwise you will need to do the #5 & #20 fuse pull. Oh yeah get some aspirin QUICK, that permagrin is going to get painful by the time your car gets here!!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY2012RS View Post
noobs what can you do?..lol
Just kidding..Good luck with your new SS when you get it
Noob, what's a noob????

Juuuussstt kidding. I never said I wasn't when it came to purchasing new cars. My first was at 21, and I hardly remember it.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #13
mexiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
Make sure you have them fill it with premium,otherwise you will need to do the #5 & #20 fuse pull. Oh yeah get some aspirin QUICK, that permagrin is going to get painful by the time your car gets here!!
You mean the car literally blows fuses when you don't put premium in there????
Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
mexiken

What's this about skipping shifts in a manual???? Is this true, and if so, how is this possible????