BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #43
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Maybe DOHC.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:44 PM   #44
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
I read somewhere that they are dropping the LS7 in the new Z/28.

I did not think that was going to happen, but I did see it somewhere that may not be reliable.

http://corvettec7fiasco.blogspot.com...continues.html
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #45
Iroc_Z28

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

I did not think that was going to happen, but I did see it somewhere that may not be reliable.

That is not happening, the LS7 is dead.... i don't know how many times this needs to be repeated...
Old 04-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #46
GrimReaperSS

Drives: 2001 Onyx Black/Ebony SS. 427/M6
To me, the de-stroked LS7 has been around for about 5 years now. I'd like to see some version of this. Whether using the LS7 or the LT1. Between GM's racing experience, the performance divisions experience and seeing what the aftermarket can accomplish, it should be a breeze.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...oke-of-genius/
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...ring-corvette/
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/4-8l-cr...pm-ls-stroker/
GrimReaperSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #47
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
I just don't get the infatuation with N/A engines. I personally like reliable power. It is much easier to keep everything cool when you are driving around with 500 N/A hp than when you are compressing air and making 650 to 700 hp. PD superchargers make just as instant and linear power as N/A but take a little more engineering to keep cool and the supercharger driven off a belt eats some of the power gain and makes it less fuel efficient. Turbos are more efficient but the power can be less controllable when it comes on. Turbos continue to get better. No one in Indy cars or F1 says they wish they had an N/A engine. We just need to get the best race tech turbos/motors to work down to street cars. I personally am hopeful that GM is working on this very thing for the next Z/28.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:40 PM   #48
Nataphen

Drives: None
Uuuum, I think you just answered on your own about why people are infatuated with NA engines. Traditionally, FI motors are harder to cool, heavier, less consistent, and less linear in the case of turbos. They can be cooled and engineered for endurance, but at greater expense and/or weight.

I also think that FI takes away from the character of engines. If everyone uses FI, it sort of muddles everything together across all car brands. Much of the individual personalities of different engines are lost. I've had just about every combination of engine available: turbo, PD blower, high winding NA, 4 cylinder, rotary, V8, and a few more I'm sure. I've come to enjoy my NA engines more than anything else.

Besides, how much more power do you need for a road course car than what NA motors make anyway?
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #49
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I just don't get the infatuation with N/A engines. I personally like reliable power. It is much easier to keep everything cool when you are driving around with 500 N/A hp than when you are compressing air and making 650 to 700 hp. PD superchargers make just as instant and linear power as N/A but take a little more engineering to keep cool and the supercharger driven off a belt eats some of the power gain and makes it less fuel efficient. Turbos are more efficient but the power can be less controllable when it comes on. Turbos continue to get better. No one in Indy cars or F1 says they wish they had an N/A engine. We just need to get the best race tech turbos/motors to work down to street cars. I personally am hopeful that GM is working on this very thing for the next Z/28.
Have you seen the grate C7 ZO6 run on the track? most don't finish the day.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #50
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Have you seen the grate C7 ZO6 run on the track? most don't finish the day.
"Most" do.....some early ones had a problem...and a bunch of those were transmission cooling issues, not the engine itself...

In any event, the problem has largely been addressed, thank goodness.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #51
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
FI makes more pure power, easier, with less fuel and can be more drivable.

However, it is dramatically less capable and reliably making that power. FI motors heat-soak, and are more heat sensitive than N/A motors, no matter how many intercoolers, radiators and other equipment you strap to it. You can't point to F1 or Indycar and say "look they can do it!"...I mean..after all..NHRA top fuel produces 10,000 HP on 500CI Hemi's with a blower..that means there's no reason a street car can't do that, right?
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #52
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul View Post

Dude..that guy is off his rocker and has an entire armory of axes to grind with GM..

I love all these "It's going to have the LS7" but provide no proof, no citation, no nothing to back it up.

I heard the Z/28 is going to have reproduction cross-ram 426 Hemi's in them!!

(does that make it true? no, but it's the same level of authority as all these other LS7 rumors)
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #53
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
"Most" do.....some early ones had a problem...and a bunch of those were transmission cooling issues, not the engine itself...

In any event, the problem has largely been addressed, thank goodness.
4 new ZO6 where out with me at Big Willow track ( fun track ), like we said before 3 of the 4 left on a flatbed trucks, and not the way they came in, the forth overheated but was able to drive it home, now this is 20 min runs in 75+ degree days, this is not a good car for the track IMO.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:20 PM   #54
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
Uuuum, I think you just answered on your own about why people are infatuated with NA engines. Traditionally, FI motors are harder to cool, heavier, less consistent, and less linear in the case of turbos. They can be cooled and engineered for endurance, but at greater expense and/or weight.

I also think that FI takes away from the character of engines. If everyone uses FI, it sort of muddles everything together across all car brands. Much of the individual personalities of different engines are lost. I've had just about every combination of engine available: turbo, PD blower, high winding NA, 4 cylinder, rotary, V8, and a few more I'm sure. I've come to enjoy my NA engines more than anything else.

Besides, how much more power do you need for a road course car than what NA motors make anyway?
Not to mention that nearly all f1 engines are replace or rebuilt after a major race
Old 04-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #55
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
4 new ZO6 where out with me at Big Willow track ( fun track ), like we said before 3 of the 4 left on a flatbed trucks, and not the way they came in, the forth overheated but was able to drive it home, now this is 20 min runs in 75+ degree days, this is not a good car for the track IMO.
I think another member posted that one of the cars had a failure unrelated to overheating...

Anyways, the early Z06's were having issues. They've made changes to the cooling systems to correct the issue since then.

Cooling is as much a function of the vehicle's design as it is the engine. The Camaro has the benefit of more airflow than the Corvette...a FI engine could work...

Overheating is not solely a result of FI. Sure, the extra pressure is a challenge, but naturally aspirated engines can have issues, too....heat is directly related to power. More power = more heat...if you don't cool it, stuff goes wrong, doesn't matter if there's a blower, turbos, or not. Some GT350's has had some issues, too...and that car has a "racing engine".
Old 04-14-2016, 01:32 PM   #56
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I think another member posted that one of the cars had a failure unrelated to overheating...

Anyways, the early Z06's were having issues. They've made changes to the cooling systems to correct the issue since then.

Cooling is as much a function of the vehicle's design as it is the engine. The Camaro has the benefit of more airflow than the Corvette...a FI engine could work...

Overheating is not solely a result of FI. Sure, the extra pressure is a challenge, but naturally aspirated engines can have issues, too....heat is directly related to power. More power = more heat...if you don't cool it, stuff goes wrong, doesn't matter if there's a blower, turbos, or not. Some GT350's has had some issues, too...and that car has a "racing engine".

The GT350's issues were not related to engine heat, but transmission heat. As far as I can tell, there haven't been any issues with GT350s that have overheated with the track pack. It does seem the engine vibrations are causing havoc with the oiling system. Four GT350s on Mustang6g alone have had engine failures that seem to be caused by lack of oil pressure.

I agree the Camaro may have a better chance at keeping the LT4 cool, but I don't know if I would want to bank $60k+ on that.