Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-01-2024, 09:12 AM   #1
Bubbafire88

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss A6 "Chief"
Fuse box Relocation Issue

My Camaros alternator failed a few weeks ago, and I thought it was a good idea to finally relocate my fuse box to inside my glovebox.
Finished up, everything works well except I am having an issue with my brand new alternator.

Alternator was charging the battery very sporadically, while test driving, pretty much constantly draining the battery voltages. I checked all grounds, all new wiring, fuses etc. nothing would work. So as a last Hail Mary I decided to unplug the 2 wire harness connector that is on the back of the alternator so it can default to its 13.8 commanded voltage. Boom. Car is at a constant 13.5 volts now, and driving better.

Originally I thought the problem had to be in the alternator wiring itself. I used 1 long run of 4 guage from the alternator all the way back onto the battery post that then runs into a kill switch. But since the alternator is charging the car “properly” I have since dismissed it.

I’ve checked the wiring, grounds, and where it connects into the ecu, so I guess the ecu isn’t commanding the proper voltage to the alternator. Till I find out a solution would I harm anything with the alternator unplugged?
TSP stage 2 cam | aFe cai | Speed Engineering Long tube 1 7/8 catless headers | Self Ported TB | Circle d 245mm 4400 stall | ZL1 NPP Cat-back exhaust | 3.91 gears | Full BMR suspension/bushings |VMS drag pack 17x10, 17x4| Granatelli Motorsports pro stock spoiler| Heritage Grille | Zl1 Addons front bumper conversion kit | Whole lotta weight reduction
Bubbafire88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 09:46 AM   #2
SlowLS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS , 2011 Colorado LS1
It won’t hurt it. It will just always charge at 13.7-13.8 and will have a fault. I have personal experience with this and my LS1 swapped Colorado.
Old 05-05-2024, 06:18 PM   #3
Bubbafire88

Drives: 2010 Camaro ss A6 "Chief"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowLS1 View Post
It won’t hurt it. It will just always charge at 13.7-13.8 and will have a fault. I have personal experience with this and my LS1 swapped Colorado.
Good to know it won’t hurt anything, thank you,did you ever find a fix?
TSP stage 2 cam | aFe cai | Speed Engineering Long tube 1 7/8 catless headers | Self Ported TB | Circle d 245mm 4400 stall | ZL1 NPP Cat-back exhaust | 3.91 gears | Full BMR suspension/bushings |VMS drag pack 17x10, 17x4| Granatelli Motorsports pro stock spoiler| Heritage Grille | Zl1 Addons front bumper conversion kit | Whole lotta weight reduction
Bubbafire88 is offline   Reply With Quote