Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #29
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I think the age limit is just fine for drivers licenses. Sure, there's some bad drivers. But, the decision on whether they get their license or not should be up to the instructor who teaches them. There are millions of 16 year olds across this country who know it's a privilage to operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway and these people play it safe. Just because some of them like to speed, doesn't mean all the rest should be penalized. I'd like to hook up that GPS w/a recorder so I could watch how my kids drive. Of course, that'll be years down the road.
I somewhat agree about the age limit for driving, I think that the training should be more intense/extensive. Its not only that they are young, its that they get the keys and a license and they think they know how to drive. They may know how to put the car in gear and push the gas, but that doesnt mean they know how to handle the car at speed, or in an emergency. that only comes with experience. I have gotten 2 speeding tickets in my life, the first, I had just turned 16 and was drivin my 78 camaro home late one night, I had bigger tires on the back and didnt realize that would mess the speedo up, so I was drivin what I thought was 90, turns out it was more like 120. I got off easy (the cop initially clocked me at 90 but I didnt start pullin over till around 123, but after explaining everything, he put it down as a 90 in a 65). the second I was 18 driving 70 in a 65 and there was an 1/8 mile stretch of highway with a road heading off to a town, the speed limit sign was knocked over so I was unaware that it dropped to 55mph. got pulled for 70 in a 55. ive been in a lot of "accidents" only 2 were ever reported. lol 1 I barrel-rolled my 78 camaro over the interstate and landed in a bean field and the 2nd I drove my mom's car into a raised railroad track at 50mph (i bent the rail!!! lol) the other "accidents" were from messing around (donuts, auto-xing in the parking lots) and I only damaged my car, but I would try to get my car out of control in parking lots or back end roads on purpose so I could learn how to control it if it were to happen in real life. nowadays, everyone gets their license and says "I know how to drive"... NO YOU DONT! I have evaded potentially deadly accidents by teaching myself how to drive. I know my car's limits, and I know my own limits, Ive found what they are by pushing myself and my car to the breaking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Calm down Eisenhower, I was playing with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
hehe! Yeah, I was just goofin' off too!
it better be settled, id hate to have to get after you two!
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #30
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I learned how to avoid accidents and good emergency driving skills from a professional instructor but.....doing it on your own works too I guess. And wow, hitting raised railroad tracks at 50 mph. How did you manage that one? And what did it do to you and the car? That is pretty amazing.

EDIT: 100 POSTS!!!!!!!!!! Woooo I'm a senior member now!!!!!!!

What a waste of a 100th post though. I would have liked to have used that one on something a little more special. Oh well....
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #31
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
And wow, hitting raised railroad tracks at 50 mph. How did you manage that one? And what did it do to you and the car? That is pretty amazing.
a guy slung mud into the open window of my car as he was leaving the parking lot so I jumped in my car to chase him down, ended up passing him @ ~60 or so in a 20mph zone comming up on a 90* turn. I saw a pickup coming down the road towards me so I went to the outside and hit loose gravel and went straight off the road over the ditch into the tracks. the car hit on the front right wheel and turned on its side as it swung around about 270* then landed on the other set of tracks.

I started the car up but when I put it into gear and hit the gas all I heard was clanking. turns out, the drivers side of the car was totally fine, but the front right wheel was tucked under like back to the future and the front of the frame was all jacked up and you couldnt open the pass door cus the frame was bent. I walked out unscathed. came back later and checked out the tracks and I had bent the rail I hit (it had a nice curve to it. lol)
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 10-29-2007, 02:39 AM   #32
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^Hope you didn't hear of any train derailments after that. That'd suck.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:12 PM   #33
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^Hope you didn't hear of any train derailments after that. That'd suck.
no, the tracks are for slow moving cars that would take material to the bottle factory and the steel factory where the line ended. but the rail company wanted to bill my insurance to replace all the ties for a 1/4 mile stretch. I raised all sorts of hell about it cus the ties were decrepit as it was and I would pay for the ones directly damaged by me but none others.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Reflecting:

How much would that suck if you actually DID heard that a train derailed at that spot, like TAG said? :eek: NOT funny
Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 AM   #35
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yeah. I'd allow for the track immediately damaged to be repaired. But, that'd be it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote