Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Detroit Census 2010

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...-wants-recount

I found this in the Detroit News yesterday and I was shocked to see the city of Detroit lost almost a quarter million people this past decade. I never would have thought growing up when Detroit was at 1.2 million people that someday the city would be smaller than cities like Columbus and Indiannpolis, but its happened. The state of Michigan also had the first population drop in its entire history from 9.9 million in 2000 to 9.8 in 2010.

I suppose you can blame the population decline on a lot of things. Urban flight, Auto Industry failure, crime, a rotting infrastruture and constant political scandal all come to mind. I've lived in Phoenix for the past 10 years and have seen the exact opposite happen to this city. I know Detroit has been a s*** hole for half a century but its still sad to see this happen. At one point I had 50 family members living in the Detroit Metro Area but now only 1 is left. Glad I was ahead of the curb but its a hard pill to swallow.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Sort of like watching a once burly man reduced by cancer. Every year I see the blight grow as we go to Cobo for the auto show.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
BigDan

Drives: bug
It wasn't like all the people that left were originally from there. It wasn't like people packed up their family and headed to Detroit for the weather and schools. They only reason why people moved there was to find work in the American automotive industry, which now packed has its shit up and hopped the borders to Canado and Mexico to cut costs, so the workers left and followed the money elsewhere like the gulf cost oil industry. Its a very sad. I wish there would of been a way to sweeten the deal with automakers so they could of continued to build cars in the USA instead of side steeping regulations and taxes by moving where the long arm of uncle same couldn't reach them.
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
phoenix is a booming city.

Detroit looks like a frozen hell on earth to me and Phoenix a fiery hell on earth i hate driving through there!!!
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
"City Council President Charles Pugh appealed to the census to count Detroit's lawbreakers. There are thousands of Detroiters in prisons around the state who should be counted as city residents, he said."

Yeah, that's it Charles - the census is out of whack because the prisoners around the state weren't counted as Detroit residents.

You know it's a shithole when you blame your low population count on the residents being in prison. Anyone in their right mind left decades ago. Those still living there risk being the victims of crime on a daily basis.

Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Not to get too political, but Detroit has been run by liberals for decades while Phoenix has not.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
The decline of the Auto Industry has been rough for Detroit.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
Not to get too political, but Detroit has been run by liberals for decades while Phoenix has not.
liberals cause population decline? It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Big 3 started having major competition starting in the 70's and they lost until recently. Factories closed, suppliers' factories closed, people lost jobs and moved elsewhere to find work. Those that stayed had to deal with rising crime rates, due to poverty and lack of city services due to lack of tax base.

The population loss in the 50's and 60's was most likely due to the suburban sprawl, not a loss of jobs, however.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
liberals cause population decline?
Their policies tend to. Who wants to live in a city where crime is rampant, taxes are high, jobs are leaving, and the Mayor is a convicted criminal? If you think the only reason Detroit is hurting is because of the Big 3's problems, you're not seeing the whole picture.

Call me crazy, but you couldn't pay me to live in Detriot, Washington DC, or Newark.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
It wasn't like all the people that left were originally from there. It wasn't like people packed up their family and headed to Detroit for the weather and schools. They only reason why people moved there was to find work in the American automotive industry, which now packed has its shit up and hopped the borders to Canado and Mexico to cut costs, so the workers left and followed the money elsewhere like the gulf cost oil industry. Its a very sad. I wish there would of been a way to sweeten the deal with automakers so they could of continued to build cars in the USA instead of side steeping regulations and taxes by moving where the long arm of uncle same couldn't reach them.
BigDan has got most of it. Any possibility labor unions/health care/benefits/pensions had anything to do with the disappearing manufacturing jobs?
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
TOMS1SS

Quote:
liberals cause population decline? It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the Big 3 started having major competition starting in the 70's and they lost until recently. Factories closed, suppliers' factories closed, people lost jobs and moved elsewhere to find work. Those that stayed had to deal with rising crime rates, due to poverty and lack of city services due to lack of tax base.

The population loss in the 50's and 60's was most likely due to the suburban sprawl, not a loss of jobs, however.
Look at cities like Cleveland, Buffalo and Chicago you'll see similar urban sprawl at the time. Since the 60s the big three have lost most of the US market share to foreign competitors. This coupled with the fact the Big Three was slow to down size staffing, benefits, pensions and pay led to the government bail outs of recent history. The state of Michigan and the city of Detroit did nothing to stem the side by trying to expand businesses outside the automotive sector and they are both paying the price. When I was growing up we were all told that we could work for the Big Three pressing buttons all day and get paid well just doing that until retirement. The problem with Detroit and Michigan is that a lot of people still carry that expectation and they are the people filing for unemployment.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
BigDan

Drives: bug
Quote:
and the big Detroit Riot of 1967 and previous race riots also helped contribute to massive population decline.

wiki 1967_Detroit_riot

wiki Detroit_Race_Riot_1943
BigDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Buffalo and NY in general has been losing population (it seems anyways) since I can remember....I guess I'm jaded. :(
Old 03-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
TOMS1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
and the big Detroit Riot of 1967 and previous race riots also helped contribute to massive population decline.

wiki 1967_Detroit_riot

wiki Detroit_Race_Riot_1943
Yeah my mom got caught downtown during the 67 riot at work, not good stuff.