Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #57
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
If incentives is the concern, no one mentions that GM a) still has a high % of Full Size Trucks as a percentage of sales, b) has the oldest Full Size Truck of the Big 3 and c) GM has the highest incentives on it's highest volume vehicle.

So if you simply average it, yes, GM has higher incentives. But if you take out FST incentives and compare to Ford.............I think a way more telling story.

Check the rebates available on Camaro, Equinox, Terrain, SRX, LaCrosse, Regal and Cruze. Get back to me.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
I guess you haven't turned on faux news lately
Lets not turn this into a 'which newsies are the least reliable' discussion
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #59
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
"We lose money on every car, but we make up for it in volume." I think now is a great time to clear inventories. Don't wait untill August and then have to give twice the incentives to move cars that are about to be a year old.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #60
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Sounds like a bunch of GM haters to me.
Sounds like some analysts with supported opinions. They're not necessarily right, but their concerns are totally legitimate and GM stock is down 5% since IPO and the past two CEO's have known nothing about cars. . . Big Ed even said he didn't know cars. That's the single biggest reason I didn't buy a big chunk of the IPO in Nov.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:48 PM   #61
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Sounds like some analysts with supported opinions. They're not necessarily right, but their concerns are totally legitimate and GM stock is down 5% since IPO and the past two CEO's have known nothing about cars. . . Big Ed even said he didn't know cars. That's the single biggest reason I didn't buy a big chunk of the IPO in Nov.
Ah, the voice of reason.

"I don't know anything about cars. A business is a business, and I think I can learn about cars. I'm not that old, and I think the business principles are the same." -Ed Whitacre

I work in a successful Failure Analysis lab. My boss is a very bright, experienced guy with a Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering. But if you put him in charge of running a failing restaurant chain, I'd bet that the restaurant chain would not be turned around on his watch.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #62
8cd03gro

Exactly. GM's current vehicles are great, I think we all agree. I realize that most major mechanical and material decisions will be made by engineers or engineering advisors, but to run the world's largest auto manufacturer with no knowledge about cars. . . that scares me. Of course, I could be wrong and we could see GM stock rise in the near term. We'll see.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If incentives is the concern, no one mentions that GM a) still has a high % of Full Size Trucks as a percentage of sales, b) has the oldest Full Size Truck of the Big 3 and c) GM has the highest incentives on it's highest volume vehicle.

So if you simply average it, yes, GM has higher incentives. But if you take out FST incentives and compare to Ford.............I think a way more telling story.

Check the rebates available on Camaro, Equinox, Terrain, SRX, LaCrosse, Regal and Cruze. Get back to me.
What's critical thinking?

Things aren't great, but that's why we call it "recovery". GM is doing very well. The author of that article is just trying to start crap...
Old 03-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #64
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Like how MS lost $150 per sale of the first Xbox when new, run lean now, so you can run fat later.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #65
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Things aren't great, but that's why we call it "recovery". GM is doing very well. The author of that article is just trying to start crap...
The stock price is lower than it was at the IPO. I hardly call that a recovery. And it also says that investors are not seeing the recovery either.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #66
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
The stock price is lower than it was at the IPO. I hardly call that a recovery. And it also says that investors are not seeing the recovery either.
Then they're blind. Or perhaps its the "analysts" and "experts" like the one in the OPs article that just don't get it....

Do you remember what it was at last year? Do you realize they haven't been publically traded for even half a year, yet? Do you see articles like this that aren't telling the whole story??

TIME and PATIENCE....are virtues FAR too many of us have lost. Don't jump the gun -- and lets watch things play out with high hopes...because frankly, negativity gets us nowhere, and none of our opinions matter on the subject unless we're on the board of directors.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #67
8cd03gro

Quote:
Then they're blind. Or perhaps its the "analysts" and "experts" like the one in the OPs article that just don't get it....

Do you remember what it was at last year? Do you realize they haven't been publically traded for even half a year, yet? Do you see articles like this that aren't telling the whole story??
The PPS is not going up significantly anytime in the near future imo. They're going to dilute, actually they probably already are, and the PPS is going to tank because of it. In the VERRRRYYY long term, purchases at IPO may turn out well, but in the short term investors are not going to be happy. That doesn't mean GM isn't recovering though, it is very possible and likely that the PPS will continue to fall despite the fact that GM itself is "healthier".

It sounds like you think you have a better understanding than the analysts and the market as a whole. Damn, I need some stock tips from you.

Time and patience mean very little to anyone that held GM stock before bankruptcy. Imo the IPO was just way too high and a bad buy. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #68
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
The PPS is not going up significantly anytime in the near future imo. They're going to dilute, actually they probably already are, and the PPS is going to tank because of it. In the VERRRRYYY long term, purchases at IPO may turn out well, but in the short term investors are not going to be happy. That doesn't mean GM isn't recovering though.

It sounds like you think you have a better understanding than the analysts and the market as a whole. Damn, I need some stock tips from you.
No, I didn't intend to insinuate that at all...I think the "market" and the "analysts" are nothing more than a game, though. Some stocks get a fair shake...others don't.

GM as a company is in very good shape. The stocks may playout as they will, but that's not my interest...and not the focus of this thread. The OP's article tried to assert that the company was "moving backwards". I think all evidence is to the contrary....but then...who digs more than surface deep nowadays?
Old 03-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #69
8cd03gro

Quote:
No, I didn't intend to insinuate that at all...I think the "market" and the "analysts" are nothing more than a game, though. Some stocks get a fair shake...others don't.

GM as a company is in very good shape. The stocks may playout as they will, but that's not my interest...and not the focus of this thread. The OP's article tried to assert that the company was "moving backwards". I think all evidence is to the contrary....but then...who digs more than surface deep nowadays?
OK, I thought you were talking in terms of investment. I would agree that it seems GM is making better vehicles and moving their way up. However, in the long term, investor confidence is going to have a huge impact on the health of the company and that is falling fast.

Like you said before, the company was just recently restructured and it's too soon to make a solid judgement. Some of the assumptions and conclusions made in the article are a bit of a reach as GM sales are rising, but the concern is very real imo.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #70
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
OK, I thought you were talking in terms of investment. I would agree that it seems GM is making better vehicles and moving their way up. However, in the long term, investor confidence is going to have a huge impact on the health of the company and that is falling fast.

Like you said before, the company was just recently restructured and it's too soon to make a solid judgement. Some of the assumptions and conclusions made in the article are a bit of a reach as GM sales are rising, but the concern is very real imo.

As long as they continue to be profitable (which they seem to be), continue to build and sell segment-leading cars and trucks (which they are)...I'm not sure where there's any tangible concern...That's my issue with the whole 'game'.

Over the past two years, this company has been to hell and back. They've had all their pieces tossed HIGH into the air...and right now, they're settling back in. The consumer-driven portion of the economy is still hurting, and now with gas prices on the rise...there's even more concern where the personal budget is concerned. I don't think we'll be able to say GM or Chrysler, or even Ford is "out of the woods" for a few years, yet....but from a snapshot perspective? They're doing pretty darn good.