Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #71
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

As long as they continue to be profitable (which they seem to be), continue to build and sell segment-leading cars and trucks (which they are)...I'm not sure where there's any tangible concern...That's my issue with the whole 'game'.

Over the past two years, this company has been to hell and back. They've had all their pieces tossed HIGH into the air...and right now, they're settling back in. The consumer-driven portion of the economy is still hurting, and now with gas prices on the rise...there's even more concern where the personal budget is concerned. I don't think we'll be able to say GM or Chrysler, or even Ford is "out of the woods" for a few years, yet....but from a snapshot perspective? They're doing pretty darn good.
Since when have the markets ever based things on tangible concerns?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #72
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Bingo. But still.....kinda off topic, so I'll refrain from saying anything more regarding this.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #73
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
There are many tangible concerns. That's not to say that New GM is "doomed" but PPS isn't dropping for no reason. I'm going to do a long write-up on my own concerns and explain it all in detail after I eat dinner. Current sales figures aren't the most important factor in potential future revenues and more importantly future PROFIT. I'll explain what I mean after some stew
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #74
KXRM

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
I'd have a little more faith then what this article says. Certainly they aren't this short sighted. I definitely hated everything about the Diet Coke/Car comparisons. This is absolutely untrue and no one should run a car company thinking this way. Even A to B users care about what a car looks like and how reliably it performs over the long term. Trust me, I know more people who don't care about cars then I have friends who do and they all care. The only issue with A to B buyers is they are largely naive as to what makes a car a good car beyond the surface details, and this is where a problem might show up if not careful.
KXRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #75
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N View Post
so what youre saying is gm had an average transaction price of 3.5% more with 43% more incentive money.
Dude.. are U seriously tryin to be a smart ass with me? Look at the numbers. GM had more incentive money than Ford, but it also had higher transaction prices than Ford. Transaction price is AFTER all incentives
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #76
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #77
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
“It’s a consumer product,” he said. “GM has to start acting like a consumer-driven, not engineering-driven, company. We sell a consumer product -- our can just costs $30,000."
And why was Akerson "blasted" for this? He's correct here.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #78
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
Quote:
Lets not turn this into a 'which newsies are the least reliable' discussion
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:40 AM   #79
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
There are many tangible concerns. That's not to say that New GM is "doomed" but PPS isn't dropping for no reason. I'm going to do a long write-up on my own concerns and explain it all in detail after I eat dinner. Current sales figures aren't the most important factor in potential future revenues and more importantly future PROFIT. I'll explain what I mean after some stew
Rebuilding brand loyalty cost,

Who do you think should flip for the cost, company or consumer?

Tiss that simple. [ it really is, like first run xbox losses]
------

They should have cash deal days, show up with a cleared check/cash [no loan can be on the car for the deal] n leave with a new car at a price your legally not allowed to reveal [that would be for hype, would never stick and they would want folks to brag, commercial would be. "Did you hear what Kathy paid for that new GM", and they lean in and whisper it.]
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #80
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Then they're blind. Or perhaps its the "analysts" and "experts" like the one in the OPs article that just don't get it....
So everyone but the rabid GM fanboys have it all wrong?

FYI, many people were telling you guys before the IPO was issued that GM and the Gov't were fudging the numbers to drive up the price, but the fanboys didn't believe them. Now that the stock is lower then at the IPO, the fanboys still wont listen to anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid. The numbers don't lie, no matter if you like them or not.

Quote:
and none of our opinions matter on the subject unless we're on the board of directors.
Actually the voices of investors do matter.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #81
KXRM

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
And why was Akerson "blasted" for this? He's correct here.
Because he is wrong. To draw this kind of conclusion shows a severe lack of understanding of the automotive business and what makes a product sell.
KXRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #82
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
So everyone but the rabid GM fanboys have it all wrong?

FYI, many people were telling you guys before the IPO was issued that GM and the Gov't were fudging the numbers to drive up the price, but the fanboys didn't believe them. Now that the stock is lower then at the IPO, the fanboys still wont listen to anyone not drinking the Kool-Aid. The numbers don't lie, no matter if you like them or not.

Actually the voices of investors do matter.

yeah lets judge GM, based on their stock prices thats only been on the market for a few months, Forget the long term that investors place emphisis on (which goes for all stocks) and throw out profitabilty while your at it. Anyone who don't do that is just a blind GM fanboy. I am sure glad we have Ford fans such as yourself which represents the epitome of being objective.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:03 PM   #83
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
i think theyre ok as of right now. most if not all the new models and cars that GM is throwin out there are selling well, and i believe that the Volt just got Car of the Year in one of the car mags. yes, maybe the management isnt doing the greatest job, but who am i to judge? i know nothing of that business crap... what i know about are cars, and i know that theyve been puttin out some good ones lately. just MHO.
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #84
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post

yeah lets judge GM, based on their stock prices thats only been on the market for a few months, Forget the long term that investors place emphisis on (which goes for all stocks) and throw out profitabilty while your at it. Anyone who don't do that is just a blind GM fanboy. I am sure glad we have Ford fans such as yourself which represents the epitome of being objective.
Current profit isn't the issue. Confidence in future profits is. I agree wholeheartedly that GM's cars are better than ever and if they can keep it up, they'll be just fine. However, a lot of the development that lead to these great cars was government subsidized. That's not to say they won't continue to do well, again these are just things that need to be proven to skeptical investors as the recent bankruptcy drives people to distrust more than trust. I'll hold off on addressing financials and fundamentals as I'm not super up to date on GM's at the moment, but I'll comment on those in a few days. I've been searching for the next F (made me the big bucks ) to put a nice chunk of change in and surprisingly, Mitsubishi is in the lead right now for me, but I am considering all the options and researching GM as well.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote