Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Pontiac Recovery Thwarted

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevy-av...-us-sales.html

Just when we thought the abuse of Pontiac was over (abuse in the way of plastic cladding and rebadged Toyotas) and recovery was on the way in the form of the Solstice and G8, GM decides to screw Pontiac over one more time. Convinced that the best way to make money is to spend extra money advertising two identical products that compete directly with each other, GM apparently will rebadge the Aveo as the Pontiac G3. So much for being the excitement division. I was really hoping Pontiac could justify its existence by giving the driving enthusiasts affordable RWD performance cars while the rest of GM caters to those looking for more efficiency, but since it seems GM is either unable or unwilling to give Pontiac its own lineup, I just want it to die with a little dignity. By staying alive it is only hurting the rest of GM's brands by doubling the marketing costs for identical products.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
To be fair...this is might just be a temporary thing. Didn't one of the execs say in an interview something to the effect of "We're telling out Pontiac and Buick dealers that there will be fewer cars in the lineup, but they're going to be good cars."

Plus, from what I can see & guess; the extent of the "rebadging" seems to be very minimal (meaning minimal costs; low chance of taking a loss). A temperary thing for what...I don't know, but I'll agree I don't think Pontiac needs an Aveo. But there's a reason for everything, especially with Lutz at the Helm. Don't start whipping Pontiac again just yet...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
To be fair...this is might just be a temporary thing. Didn't one of the execs say in an interview something to the effect of "We're telling out Pontiac and Buick dealers that there will be fewer cars in the lineup, but they're going to be good cars."

Plus, from what I can see & guess; the extent of the "rebadging" seems to be very minimal (meaning minimal costs; low chance of taking a loss). A temperary thing for what...I don't know, but I'll agree I don't think Pontiac needs an Aveo. But there's a reason for everything, especially with Lutz at the Helm. Don't start whipping Pontiac again just yet...
They, GM, always have had Cavalier/Sunbird - Camaro/Firebird, they may struggle to break the old patterns, or do it better...

Maybe there are Pontiac diehards who need an Aveo/G3 for the mpg, while they drive their '68 GTO Judge..
my .03 cents (inflation)

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrcr View Post
my .03 cents (inflation)
Old 06-03-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
First they skip the G7, now they skip the G4? Come on GM, if your going to do an odd alpha neumeric at least be consistent.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #6
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09'Z28 View Post
ditto
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #7
stovt001

I usually disagree with arguments that call for GM trimming brands. They are General Motors after all, making a wide variety of cars for a wide variety of tastes, supposedly. The one argument I do agree with is that having so many brands with near identical products really compromises the effectiveness of limited marketing dollars. I doubt they'll find many buyers for the G3 who wouldn't have just bought an Aveo otherwise, so they'll just spending all this extra money pulling buyers away from Chevy.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I doubt they'll find many buyers for the G3 who wouldn't have just bought an Aveo otherwise, so they'll just spending all this extra money pulling buyers away from Chevy.
But for the extra hundred people that buy it compared to not having it...It might be worth it in the long run to establish a sporty compact for Ponitac. (We really don't know what they're gonna do with it as far as options, performance, etc...) It could prove useful for CAFE.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #9
BumbleBee
Yes, I am a girl

Drives: 2006 Pontiac Vibe
Angry Booo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Just when we thought the abuse of Pontiac was over (abuse in the way of plastic cladding and rebadged Toyotas) and recovery was on the way in the form of the Solstice and G8,
Wait a second... you don't like the Vibe because it's a "rebadged" Toyota, but it's okay to have a rebadged Saturn and Holden?

Booo!!!

Rebadging happens ALL the time, welcome to the party.

And as a owner of a 2006 Pontiac Vibe and future owner of a 2009 VibeGT, I have to tell you getting 32 mpg, is a wonderful thing, and so is being able to haul around all my stuff for work and school.

...second to none
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
GM must be going for small car sales to Brand loyal Pontiac people, who 'would not own a Chevy.'

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
Wait a second... you don't like the Vibe because it's a "rebadged" Toyota, but it's okay to have a rebadged Saturn and Holden?
In his defense...those are still GM-owned companys; so your really only putting stuff from one hand into the other....Toyota's not. In fact, it's a direct competitor! So it's kinda like picking something up off the ground.

I don't hate the Vibe, but it's part Toyota............
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
stovt001

Also, the Vibe is built by Toyota at their NUMMI plant, which is facing numerous lawsuits because its quality problems actually pose a safety hazard.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:32 AM   #13
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
idk it doesn't bother me i guess but like pontiac isn't rwd...its a fwd company...the only rear drive is the g8 and mayb grand prix gxp idk bout that tho i dont even think that is....but idk i dont see to many aveos driving round as it is so i dont see why pontiac would add this vehicle to their lineup but idk.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I forgot that thats the Wave. It already exists as a Pontiac here, you never see them though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote