Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #57
Jay J
Prince of Zamunda

Drives: XW30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX View Post
It's only a matter of time before the Genesis becomes it's own brand. I really am all for a V8 genesis coupe, really more competition will only make future muscle cars even better.

On a side note, Honda and Toyota need to learn from Hyundai of how to make proper cars and not the beige mobiles they make today.
Toyota has V8's...GM could learn a thing or two from their "UZ" series V8's to adopt into GM's engines......Honda could go with bigger displacements but they want to stay with smaller displacement engines and higher revving engines...
Jay J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #58
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Is there any solid info/specs available for the Gen V? What is it that makes it so advanced?
Not too much is known. They will incorporate all the technology that was added to the gen IV engines (such as VVT and AFM) as well as DI. Its figured that when designing an engine around utilizing these technologies, the benefits will be greater than what was seen on the gen IV's where they were added partway through the run. Also, its been said that they will be using using lessons learned from Nascar so the engines can opperate at higher RPM's.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:05 PM   #59
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Not too much is known. They will incorporate all the technology that was added to the gen IV engines (such as VVT and AFM) as well as DI. Its figured that when designing an engine around utilizing these technologies, the benefits will be greater than what was seen on the gen IV's where they were added partway through the run. Also, its been said that they will be using using lessons learned from Nascar so the engines can opperate at higher RPM's.
They also make reference to a "new combustion process".
Old 06-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #60
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
They also make reference to a "new combustion process".
HCCI?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #61
Mr. Wyndham

I doubt it. At least not YET...Not on the V8s...

EDIT: That would be wicked, though...
Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 PM   #62
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
I doubt it. At least not YET...Not on the V8s...

EDIT: That would be wicked, though...
No, not yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the gen V's could support it. They modified an L92 to run that cycle a couple years ago, so its conceivable that a gen V engine later on could use it.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 06-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No, not yet but I wouldn't be surprised if the gen V's could support it. They modified an L92 to run that cycle a couple years ago, so its conceivable that a gen V engine later on could use it.
Well, iirc, that method requires the precise fuel and air control of Direct Injection and DOHC VVT. One, possibly one-and-a-half of which the Gen V are supposed to be designed with. This allowed them to run "spark-less", on the diesel cycle up to about 55mph. Now, granted, I read all of this about a year ago....

I hadn't heard they'd applied it to an L92, only the Ecotecs in a couple of Aura test-cars. Do you think you can find an article on that?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #64
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Well, iirc, that method requires the precise fuel and air control of Direct Injection and DOHC VVT. One, possibly one-and-a-half of which the Gen V are supposed to be designed with. This allowed them to run "spark-less", on the diesel cycle up to about 55mph. Now, granted, I read all of this about a year ago....

I hadn't heard they'd applied it to an L92, only the Ecotecs in a couple of Aura test-cars. Do you think you can find an article on that?
I may have been confused. The only info I can find on an experimental L92 from a couple years ago is about one equipped with direct injection (it produced well over 450 hp btw). Odds are, thats what I was thinking of.

Camaro Fest sub-forum