Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 12:00 PM   #15
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I'm on my second bungee cord tonneau cover. The dealer replaced the original last September because the top layer had started to bubble up from the plastic edge and separate from the cover.

I might be crazy but I swear the new cover has a slightly longer rear flap than my original. This makes the fit under the deck lid a bit more snug.

I've owned three 5th get convertibles and only once has the cover popped off on me. And that was totally my fault. I forgot to secure the bungee cord over the driver's side post before I took off. Fortunately the other bungee cord kept the cover attached to the car until I could stop. You talk about flapping in the breeze.

Speaking of flapping in the breeze, my cover goes on every time the top goes down. I'm not so much worried the top will pop out, but as others have mentioned the fluttering in the air can't be great for it over the long term.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
I have a 13 also, and usually always put on the tonneau cover. in town, I don't attach the bungee cords. if I am going on highway, then I do.

without the tonneau, my top flaps going just 45 mph. it is bothersome, annoying, and I know is not good on the top itself. I keep looking at my review mirror wondering when the thing is going to take off. so, using the tonneau eliminates that. I put a towel on the top after its retracted and before I put the tonneau cover on to prevent tonneau from rubbing against the top.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I have a 2011 without the bungee cords. No problems as of yet, but is there a way to modify the original to add the cords? I don't feel like dropping $300 for a new one.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:43 PM   #18
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
I have a 2011 without the bungee cords. No problems as of yet, but is there a way to modify the original to add the cords? I don't feel like dropping $300 for a new one.
Here you go.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272309
Old 02-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #19
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
LOL i had a twenty dollar bill fly out of my jeep on the interstate. i went back and
believe it or not - I found it. ha.

p.s. glad i wasn't behind you. on a motorcycle.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #20
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Top down with no tonneau

FYI, I spoke at length with one of the Camaro program managers at the SIX reveal about the Gen5 top. One thing he assured me of---it will not come out of the well when uncovered at ANY speed the car is capable of.

If you have the "bungee" version of the tonneau, it will not blow off if properly installed. However, if you are nervous about it, there is a very good thread in the DIY forum for adding attachments.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:26 PM   #21
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by samman11 View Post
Search the DIY forum. Excellent mod there.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #22
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Bought my 2011 used and was bummed to find out about a $300+ tonneau cover (that wasn't there).

Got lucky and found one of the newer versions on Amazon for $89. I did notice there were 5 revisions to the original GM part number.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #23
sreyna

Drives: 2012 2SS convertible
I have 2012 2SS and on a windy day if you hit a cross wind it it will raise up or blow loose. On calm days I've driven fast with no problem. I have a windscreen i guess helps. You can roll windows up that does the the trick but just looks wrong.
It looks so much better with it on. If you drive without the cover you look in the rearview mirror and can see it flapping which is disturbing and probably looks bad from other cars point of view.
I can never find a definitive answer from Chevrolet about it.
sreyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #24
Redvert12

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I am with sreyna. I had a 13 1LT and purchased the cover separately. I had the problem during a strong crosswind with it bowing up from the middle. I found a fix on another forum about sewing a Velcro patch on the larger tab and gluing the second piece to the car. I kept the cover when I sold the 13 and bought the current 12 2SS/RS. Same fix and haven't had a problem since.
On another subject of cover on or off, I notice when you run with the cover on as much as I do, the canvas shows wear in places that the top meets the cover. Shinny places is the best way to describe them. Realize that with the weather we have in SE Alabama, my top is down quite a bit.
Redvert12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #25
nickbettschen

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvert12 View Post
I am with sreyna. I had a 13 1LT and purchased the cover separately. I had the problem during a strong crosswind with it bowing up from the middle. I found a fix on another forum about sewing a Velcro patch on the larger tab and gluing the second piece to the car. I kept the cover when I sold the 13 and bought the current 12 2SS/RS. Same fix and haven't had a problem since.
On another subject of cover on or off, I notice when you run with the cover on as much as I do, the canvas shows wear in places that the top meets the cover. Shinny places is the best way to describe them. Realize that with the weather we have in SE Alabama, my top is down quite a bit.

that's a great idea i had mine blow up to the point where just the cords were hanging on and both edge pieces were loose. lol i might have been passing a a higher speed then i should have been. ill have to try that velcro thing!
nickbettschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #26
amicucci

Drives: Bright Yellow 2015 SS Convertible
I have a '15 and have had no problems with the Tonneau cover. That siad, I HATE it. My hands don't work so well so it mostly sits in the trunk. So now a ridiculous question. Who would I ask to find out if the "16 and up system could be retrofitted to the "15. Trading up is not an option because the down payment my SS was a 60th birthday gift from my wife. Sentimental I know but if it was possuible I would spend a good deal of money to convert to the new system
amicucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #27
driftxtz

Drives: Synergy Green 2010 , 1969 Camaro RS
FYI Velcro mod

I don't sew so I just used stick on velcro. Home Depot sells a heavy duty stick on velcro roll for outdoor use. After a couple of years the sticky starts smearing so I just cleaned it up and replace it with a new strip.
driftxtz is offline   Reply With Quote