Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Aftermarket Radio?

I have a stock ls camaro, wanted to know if an aftermarket radio with bluetooth for phone streaming will improve sound quality at all? And is it worth the money without upgrading stereo system as I don't have money for that. Like this one:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/MVH-X560BT

Btw, is it even possible installing this? I do not care about losing onstar. I have stock radio , not mylink nav.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Any upgraded radio will sound better, but as u crank up the volume which trust me you will do , you will find out that you will need better speakers to take advantage of the better radio, better off saving your money until you have enough to do the whole thing, gaurentee you will end up wanting a sub and amp as well
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #3
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydreamcar View Post
Any upgraded radio will sound better, but as u crank up the volume which trust me you will do , you will find out that you will need better speakers to take advantage of the better radio, better off saving your money until you have enough to do the whole thing, gaurentee you will end up wanting a sub and amp as well
Thanks for response, if there are decent midrange stereo kits reasonably priced I would consider. I don't need a crazy loud sound system though. Any recommedations? I am also not too mechanically orientated and may have trouble installing complicated systems. To another point also, if I want to install an aftermarket radio do I have to remove the whole center stack like others do who replace it with touch screens that are indented in? I don't want mine to indent like that. If it isn't possible then I will just look for an aftermarket brushed silver dash. I'm looking to add some things in the intererior of car that aren't too pricey. Like led lighting, aftermarket radio, other car tech gadgets that are useful. And maybe my shifter.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:52 AM   #4
RagingHawk

Okay after doing more research I noticed the Metra/Scsoch dash kits, do I have to install either/or in order to replace radio system with aftermarket reciever w/ bluetooth? These dash kits look ugly to me. Any help appreciated.

Basically a single din, I don't want to remove the whole dash. Let me look for a picture of what I want....:

This is what I want, I don't need dvd/nav/apps. How can I install something like this? any Dash kits?

Last edited by RagingHawk; 07-09-2015 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:25 AM   #5
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Went with a scoshe kit and pioneer radio double din, due to so many people having issues with the scoshe kit , I opted for a professional install. Had it for over a year with no issues. I am was also not big on blaring sound and huge amounts of base but when I upgraded the radio the Boston acoustics system while sounding better at lower volumes was really bad at higher volumes so changed the speakers to alpine ones and changed amp as well. If I recall speakers purchased and installed was about 450 bucks, amp another 250 purchased and installed. Radio was 500 purchased and install, will try to take a pic later and post. I mean you could spend a whole lot in this area but that's not me. So probably for around 700 bucks or so you can change it around radio and speakers , if u are handy do the speakers and have a place do the radio, but be warned front speakers and tweeters were easy, the rear speakers are harder to get to and is a lot of work
Old 07-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #6
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
I have a stock ls camaro, wanted to know if an aftermarket radio with bluetooth for phone streaming will improve sound quality at all? And is it worth the money without upgrading stereo system as I don't have money for that. Like this one:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ers/MVH-X560BT

Btw, is it even possible installing this? I do not care about losing onstar. I have stock radio , not mylink nav.

I highly recommend seeking a local professional to listen to different speakers and options available. A bare bones stage one upgrade including radio and installation you need to budget $1,000. It rises quickly from there.

Oddly enough, one of the nations top installers works at a Best Buy in Michigan, go see see Josh White in Holland if you are close enough. If not, go see Joe Landry in Pontiac at a fun shop called Radios, Knobs, Speakers & Things. If not these, at least talk to someone in person so they can chat at length about your options; Mickey Shorr, WOW Electronics or Car Tunes.

You can do the installation yourself and maybe save $200-300, but need to have a general knowledge of working with tools and electronics/wiring.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
Quote:
Okay after doing more research I noticed the Metra/Scsoch dash kits, do I have to install either/or in order to replace radio system with aftermarket reciever w/ bluetooth? These dash kits look ugly to me. Any help appreciated.

Basically a single din, I don't want to remove the whole dash. Let me look for a picture of what I want....:

This is what I want, I don't need dvd/nav/apps. How can I install something like this? any Dash kits?
Just a note: That is NOT a "simple" radio. That is a Pioneer DEX-P99RS, and it retails for $1350. You can get one new at Crutchfield for $1200, but yeah.....

Looks like the person who did that modified the stock harness and head unit, and then frankensteined it all together. They basically removed the stock internals for the radio and then cut out the stock radio display to mount the Pioneer. I would imagine that the stock radio buttons do not work (like volume, tune, etc), but it could be made to work, though it would probably cost a couple grand to marry the stock buttons to the aftermarket head.
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
RagingHawk

Thanks a lot guys, by the sound of it is it difficult and costly proocedure and I should rather go with metras dash kit. It's within my price range , now I'm just looking for a decent aftermarket touch radio nav system that everyone is installing at a reasonable price. Any recommendations? If it is too costly I think I'm just going to buy an auxialry bluetooth receiver to stream music and buy an aftermarket molding kit to make the radio button panels a brushed aluminium. I think I'll just go with that for now and shouldn't cost me more than 100$ and I could use other money for black bowties on front and maybe silver on rear.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys, by the sound of it is it difficult and costly proocedure and I should rather go with metras dash kit. It's within my price range , now I'm just looking for a decent aftermarket touch radio nav system that everyone is installing at a reasonable price. Any recommendations? If it is too costly I think I'm just going to buy an auxialry bluetooth receiver to stream music and buy an aftermarket molding kit to make the radio button panels a brushed aluminium. I think I'll just go with that for now and shouldn't cost me more than 100$ and I could use other money for black bowties on front and maybe silver on rear.
I think you are in for a little sticker shock . Go to Crutchfield.com . There you can price everything you want .
Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I think you are in for a little sticker shock . Go to Crutchfield.com . There you can price everything you want .
I would love to get an aftermarket hd radio with bluetooth, that's all I want. I don't want aftermarket stereo, it's too expensive for me at this moment. Problem is I can't find any dash kits for single dins. I don't want to put money into a 300$ metras double din kit and install single radio, it wouldn't make sense to not put a pioneer nex type touch radio/nav system. I can't seem to find single din dash kits. And some people say the stock radio is better than aftermarket ones, is that true?

If so, I am gonna stick to stock radio. But I definitely want to change my radio bezels/knobs. Does this product fit on a 2015 camaro?:

http://www.carid.com/american-car-cr...ct-details-tab

Thanks again guys, you've really helped out.

For those who aren't aware, I'm a student who won this car. I didn't purchase it, and I'm not going to ask parents for money for aftermarket stereos. So some of you may wondering why doesn't this guy get aftermarket stereo if he can afford car...now you know....

I'm willing to spend 100-250 on a reciever but nothing more, no expensive dash kit or upgraded stereos.

Last edited by RagingHawk; 07-09-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
I would love to get an aftermarket hd radio with bluetooth, that's all I want. I don't want aftermarket stereo, it's too expensive for me at this moment. Problem is I can't find any dash kits for single dins. I don't want to put money into a 300$ metras double din kit and install single radio, it wouldn't make sense to not put a pioneer nex type touch radio/nav system. I can't seem to find single din dash kits. And some people say the stock radio is better than aftermarket ones, is that true?

If so, I am gonna stick to stock radio. But I definitely want to change my radio bezels/knobs. Does this product fit on a 2015 camaro?:

http://www.carid.com/american-car-cr...ct-details-tab

Thanks again guys, you've really helped out.

For those who aren't aware, I'm a student who won this car. I didn't purchase it, and I'm not going to ask parents for money for aftermarket stereos. So some of you may wondering why doesn't this guy get aftermarket stereo if he can afford car...now you know....

I'm willing to spend 100-250 on a reciever but nothing more, no expensive dash kit or upgraded stereos.

That product is only for '10 - '13 models. If you select "vehicle fitment" it will display compatible years.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
BlazeLuca

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
on that stainless steel dash is that to support an aftermarket deck or just a shinier version of what we all already have? i am also looking for a single din dash kit because i dont want to spend the money for the metra or schoshe kit atm. im looking for a single din kit to put something like this in. https://www.pricefalls.com/product/j...FYU6aQodmokKpQ
BlazeLuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
jeffa

Drives: 2014 2LT/RS Ashen Gray Metallic
Both the Metra and the Scosche kits will mount a single DIN sized radio and have a storage pocket that covers up the remainder of the double DIN opening.

The only way to install any aftermarket radio is to use either the Scosche or Metra kit, as they have the electronics included to interface an aftermarket radio to the CAN bus in the Camaro.....there is no way around this. There is an exception, but is a double DIN sized radio running Android operating system. It uses what looks like the factory faceplate with the HVAC controls and plugs into the factory CAN bus. Very expensive, must buy from China factory and the unit is glitchy....
jeffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:25 AM   #14
RagingHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeLuca View Post
on that stainless steel dash is that to support an aftermarket deck or just a shinier version of what we all already have? i am also looking for a single din dash kit because i dont want to spend the money for the metra or schoshe kit atm. im looking for a single din kit to put something like this in. https://www.pricefalls.com/product/j...FYU6aQodmokKpQ
So I'm not the only person, like you I can't justify purchasing dash kit for 250$ then minimum 400$ for a good pioneer or kenwood dvd reciever(the ones with nav start at 800$) on top of that 1500$ for really good aftermarket audio system. I could save up for these but would a long time. So I'd rather just install a nice single din 150-200$ sony mex that has hd radio, bluetooth and built in equalizer to make music sound better on stock speakers.

However we have no single din dash kits available, to answer your question the dash kit is to make stock one shinier. It has no function.