Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #225
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
Is it just me or does that weld look cracked around the tube?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #226
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Nope its not you!! it looks cracked to me too.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #227
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Could be.....but I've seen it where they don't seal that side.....just the other side.

Diaz...I sorry to hear your stuff is still not sorted.
I stopped making comments in this section cuz the moderators kept deleting my posts.

I wouldn't even mess with it any more and your source vendor doesn't seem to be much help.

Ship it to Ted (yes the whole car)...he'll sort it out and it'll probably be fine for years to come. I've never really heard any bad about Ted on this site, he deals with complex sh*t, and he's always quit to jump in with good advice. Those are the attributes of a good service provider! It may cost you a pretty penny, but you probably need to have someone of his technical caliber QA the entire system...to make sure you're not chasing gremlins for the next two years.

I would like you to be this
And not this

Good Luck
Old 10-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #228
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
this guy just needs a restart on his car. lol
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #229
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
i tell u this about ted, i bought a tuner from him when i first got my car. so when i had a question about something and anything, i would pm him, alway replied and helped the best he could without having the car , great group of guys at that shop.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
Old 10-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #230
SS_Diaz

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to SS_Diaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmon View Post
Could be.....but I've seen it where they don't seal that side.....just the other side.

Diaz...I sorry to hear your stuff is still not sorted.
I stopped making comments in this section cuz the moderators kept deleting my posts.

I wouldn't even mess with it any more and your source vendor doesn't seem to be much help.

Ship it to Ted (yes the whole car)...he'll sort it out and it'll probably be fine for years to come. I've never really heard any bad about Ted on this site, he deals with complex sh*t, and he's always quit to jump in with good advice. Those are the attributes of a good service provider! It may cost you a pretty penny, but you probably need to have someone of his technical caliber QA the entire system...to make sure you're not chasing gremlins for the next two years.

I would like you to be this
And not this

Good Luck
FIRST OFF, Thank you MODS for fixing my thread title. I really appreciate it.

I hear ya.... Ted has been helping me out and answering all my questions. I'll be ordering a few parts from him tomorrow to hopefully get this problem situated. I just have to order parts little by little. I'll most likely just remove the other manifold today, remove the heat wrap and check all the welds. After that's done ill probably be getting them JET Hot Coated this week. Would that be a bad route to go or will the jet hot coating hold the heat just fine. I've seen a few threads on here about heat wrap and coating and most of them are favoring the coating.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #231
jordan 572

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
this guy just needs a restart on his car. lol
Ha, easy for you to say when you haven't received even half of what you payed for. You do realize your in the FI section, better get back to the v8 bolt on threads.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #232
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Diaz View Post
Would that be a bad route to go or will the jet hot coating hold the heat just fine. I've seen a few threads on here about heat wrap and coating and most of them are favoring the coating.
Thats a technical question but most of the "good" turbo installations I've seen are wrapped.....all kinds of material these days....even volcanic rock....Wrapping is a b*tch, but I think its more effective than just coating.

If you are in DIY mode.....here's a thread from LS1tech to get you started.....Pics of turbo bays....these guys are LS turbo wizards......

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...otor-bays.html

Give us a Pic of you engine bay and progress.....
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #233
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
That header definitely looks cracked...make sure it's welded before coating and quite honestly...if it is cracked already...this isn't a good sign for other kit owners over time.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #234
partymn

Up to this point I am not seeing anything that is a good sign for owners of this kit.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #235
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
So these are thin 16ga headers for a turbo application? Holy shit, nobody serious has built turbo headers like that in years. Those fall apart in no time.
The header wrap is accelerating this as the pipes heat up to their austenitization temperature (around 1650f), making them brittle. Then a bunch of stress relieving going on and you get cracks like crazy. Your problems are just beginning, sorry.

That weld joint is now contaminated in a way that will never weld correctly. You get one chance to weld steel correctly. Repairs are always 1/2 as good as the original.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #236
partymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmode_on View Post
So these are thin 16ga headers for a turbo application? Holy shit, nobody serious has built turbo headers like that in years. Those fall apart in no time.
The header wrap is accelerating this as the pipes heat up to their austenitization temperature (around 1650f), making them brittle. Then a bunch of stress relieving going on and you get cracks like crazy. Your problems are just beginning, sorry.

That weld joint is now contaminated in a way that will never weld correctly. You get one chance to weld steel correctly. Repairs are always 1/2 as good as the original.

Just so that everyone is clear on this. The headers are Stainless Works forward facing turbo headers that were modified by HPS to work for this application.

Its unclear what HPS had to modify on the headers but the tubes are 14 gauge, .065 inch.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #237
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by partymn View Post
Just so that everyone is clear on this. The headers are Stainless Works forward facing turbo headers that were modified by HPS to work for this application.

Its unclear what HPS had to modify on the headers but the tubes are 14 gauge, .065 inch.
.065" is 16ga.
What's your point? This isn't the turbo kit builders fault, and SW should be blamed?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #238
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Those headers are not cracked. That is the the pipe and the flange surface from the inside. They are welded on the other side. I am a certified pipe welder for the navy's nuclear subs. That is how it would look from the pipe sticking threw the flange on the inside.

Closed Thread