Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Sunroof Front Drain Tube Unplugged !

While looking for a hole in the driver side body to run wire from the driver door into the cabin, I pulled out the driver side front sunroof drain exit fitting (thinking it was just a grommet ) which is located just under the body door harness.

NO WAY could I reattach the drain tube to it which is located way under the dash along the metal body cavity wall, so I shoved the drain tube down into the body cavity. I’m hoping any water will drain out the bottom of the car thru a large hole along the bottom of the body cavity. Any comments or thoughts on how I might reattach the tube to the drain fitting or should the tube drain well enough where I placed it?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:01 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I responded to your PM, but in case you don't see it first, this is what I sent.

Yeah, there's a little rubber circle under the harness, only big enough to fit your little finger into. Working from the kick panel side, it's a real PITA to get the end back into the other side of the grommet, but it will eventually go in if you are patient...and can bend your wrist into some seriously uncomfortable positions. It took me like a half an hour. I know this is a lot, but it really helps to just remove the seat, this way you can position your body with enough room to get your hand into that access hole where the harness and drain tube run.

If you just let it hang, I don't know that the water will have anywhere to go besides collect in the body panel. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove the seat, so I would just give that a try when you get the chance. It really helps. I wish they would have glued these drain tubes in or secured them better, same goes for the trunk drains.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Any thing to do with water and metal concerns me. Should any of those holes you mention ever become plugged the you got trapped water and one day a source of rust.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I responded to your PM, but in case you don't see it first, this is what I sent.

Yeah, there's a little rubber circle under the harness, only big enough to fit your little finger into. Working from the kick panel side, it's a real PITA to get the end back into the other side of the grommet, but it will eventually go in if you are patient...and can bend your wrist into some seriously uncomfortable positions. It took me like a half an hour. I know this is a lot, but it really helps to just remove the seat, this way you can position your body with enough room to get your hand into that access hole where the harness and drain tube run.

If you just let it hang, I don't know that the water will have anywhere to go besides collect in the body panel. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove the seat, so I would just give that a try when you get the chance. It really helps. I wish they would have glued these drain tubes in or secured them better, same goes for the trunk drains.
I saw your PM reply, thanks! I’m gonna try putting a wire snake down the body cavity where the drain tube now rests to see if I can get the snake to the body cavity opening under where the Camaro emblem is. If I can then I’ll extend the drain tube and snake it to the opening. This way it’ll resolve the drain issue and I’ll be able to use the drain exit hole to run the wires from the door thru.

If not I may just leave the drain tube where it is as I’m not sure how much water really drains thru the tube as it seemed dry and clean with no water marks after 8 years.
Does water drain into any of the tubes if the sunroof is closed?

Also, was the water problem you described in the below post caused because the tube was detached from the drain exit fitting?
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584669
Old 11-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
while your at it check the drains at the back also they have a tendency to come apart and leak into the trunk
not the best pics
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Does water drain into any of the tubes if the sunroof is closed?

Also, was the water problem you described in the below post caused because the tube was detached from the drain exit fitting?
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584669
I'm not sure if it drains when closed.

But as for my previous issue, yes. GM told me that is what was causing the water buildup in my harness. How that's possible I don't know, but somehow the drain tube allowed it to collect inside the harness. I saw the mess it created inside the harness. The corrugated rubber seal/sleeve was always on tight but there was always water in the connector.

They told me the main issue this causes is corroding of the main ground wire in that are. It is right behind the kick panel on the driver's side and has 3 different grounds going into that anchor point. The ground for the driver's door had totally corroded and broke inside the insulation. I had them fix it the first time (ground wire), but earlier this year I replaced the entire X500 (door jamb wiring connector) pigtail and moved the grounds to the dash frame.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I'm not sure if it drains when closed.

But as for my previous issue, yes. GM told me that is what was causing the water buildup in my harness. How that's possible I don't know, but somehow the drain tube allowed it to collect inside the harness. I saw the mess it created inside the harness. The corrugated rubber seal/sleeve was always on tight but there was always water in the connector.

They told me the main issue this causes is corroding of the main ground wire in that are. It is right behind the kick panel on the driver's side and has 3 different grounds going into that anchor point. The ground for the driver's door had totally corroded and broke inside the insulation. I had them fix it the first time (ground wire), but earlier this year I replaced the entire X500 (door jamb wiring connector) pigtail and moved the grounds to the dash frame.
Like you I find it hard to believe that water from a detached drain tube could get into the door jam wire harness grommet to cause corroding given that the drain tube whether attached or detached is below the wire harness. I’ve seen water around the corrugated harness grommet seal that seems to comes just from opening the driver door. I think that may be what caused your water issue. Did you ever remove or loosen that harness grommet before you had your problem?

I decided to check the passenger side drain grommet. Like the driver side that I removed it was covered inside and with dust and showed no signs of ever seeing any water flow thru it. FWIW I placed a piece of paper towel into it that I’ll check periodically for any water stains. I’m really not expecting to see any.

Update Dec 1 - after 12 hrs of hurricane force rain & wind the piece of paper towel was moist. So some water did drain thru the tube. But don't think it could have been more than several drops. At that rate (keeping in mind the severity of the rain) Im guessing it would probably take a decade and or more for that amount of water to reach the body cavity side panel bottom to cause any corrosion if the tube was removed from the drain grommet and left to hang in the body cavity like mine is on the driver side.

However, I still plan on trying to extend the driver side tube out thru the body cavity side panel hole below the Camaro emblem. If I can't I guess I'll have to go thru the torture of reconnecting the drain tube to the drain grommet.

Last edited by camguynj; 12-01-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #8
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
while your at it check the drains at the back also they have a tendency to come apart and leak into the trunk
not the best pics
Yea I know about that. The passenger side had came off several yrs ago but never noticed any water. Zipped tied it back on.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 AM   #9
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
I’m dealing with a plugged sunroof drain tube on the drivers side, passenger is fine but if I park on a hill forcing the water to build up on the drivers side I do get water inside the car.
Tried blowing it out with 110 psi and it is plugged, gonna have to open her up and replace it.
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
I’m dealing with a plugged sunroof drain tube on the drivers side, passenger is fine but if I park on a hill forcing the water to build up on the drivers side I do get water inside the car.
Tried blowing it out with 110 psi and it is plugged, gonna have to open her up and replace it.
Front or Rear
Old 12-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #11
bottletalk

Quote:
Front or Rear
front
Old 12-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #12
camguynj

Quote:
front
Where abouts does the water appear ?
Old 12-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #13
bottletalk

Quote:
Where abouts does the water appear ?
It starts to the left of the sun visor, gets the material wet then the carpet is wet.
Last night I put the blow gun on 100psi and tried to blow out the pluggedarea.
I heard a pop thinking I cleared it so I grabbed some water and poured it around the area where the drain is with the sun roof open and it literally just poured right down and out to the left of the clutch pedal....,,guesss I just blew out a connection point. Fml
Looks like I need too look into opening all these panel covers and piecing the drain back together or replace it.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:24 PM   #14
dru21281

Quote:
It starts to the left of the sun visor, gets the material wet then the carpet is wet.
Last night I put the blow gun on 100psi and tried to blow out the pluggedarea.
I heard a pop thinking I cleared it so I grabbed some water and poured it around the area where the drain is with the sun roof open and it literally just poured right down and out to the left of the clutch pedal....,,guesss I just blew out a connection point. Fml
Looks like I need too look into opening all these panel covers and piecing the drain back together or replace it.
Weed wacker string should work better then compressed air...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
dru21281 is offline   Reply With Quote