Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
"Camaro - A Legend Reborn!" Quotes, Orders, Discussion.

Good Afternoon, Camaro Comrades and Firebird Friends!

Some of you have already heard the 'buzz' that there IS INDEED a new Book in the making that talks about the 5th Generation Camaro..........

"Camaro - A Legend Reborn" by Larry Edsall is a book you WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT DOWN once you start to read it.......

We've been privileged to proof-read the book -- it takes you from the dark day in August of 2002 when the last 4th gens went down the line at Ste. Therese -- to the present as we work to get the new Camaro on the street.........

You can pre-order your book by going here:

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/Prod...ails_41892.ncm

Estimated date of warehouse is February 15, 2009 -- one day before we start building YOUR new Camaro.

We hope you'll order this book -- and that it will give you a much deeper insight as to some of the elements in vehicle development......

John Fitzpatrick
Cheryl Pilcher
Scott Settlemire

Here's a few excerpts:

Saddle up!” says Stephen James. James is a vehicle integration engineer, overseeing fuel economy and drive quality on the new Camaro. But in early December 0f 2007, some 14 months before the scheduled start of production, he’s also serving as trail boss for the first real test of Camaro prototype vehicles, a drive up through southeastern Australia’s “alps” and along its seacoast.
After so many months of work, this so-called 65-percent development drive will be the engineers’ first real opportunity to taste the fruit of their work.
“We’re getting the big bits dialed in,” vehicle line executive Gene Stefanyshyn sees as one of the primary goals for the excursion. “Do you like the suspension set up? Is it too soft? Too firm? Do you like the steering? How does the braking feel? Does the throttle progression feel right? How does the shifter feel? How’s the HVAC (heating/ventilation/air conditioning) performance? Is the temperature of the engine where it should be? All that kind of stuff.”
After the engineers do their driving, they seek third-party feedback, inviting Australian auto racing superstar Mark Skaife to do some hot laps at Holden’s Lang Lang proving grounds, which, Skaife notes, “usually brings out the worst characteristics of a car.”
Skaife notes that through one particularly fast section of the circuit, “my marker [for judging a car’s capabilities] is 160 kilometers [per hour, or just under 100 miles per hour] and on the second lap we made 105 miles per hour. That’s really good.”

In the early spring of 2008, a Camaro prototype, IVER No. 75, underwent testing unlike any that any previous Camaro had experienced. This test was held not only in front of the public but in front of General Motors’ own competitors. This test was held on the famed Nordschliefe, the historic northern portion of Germany’s Nurburgring.
While the historic track now has limited use for racing, it has become the test track where the world’s automakers prove the dynamic capabilities of their sportiest cars. Engineers working on recent generations of the Chevrolet Corvette have tested at the Nurburgring for several years and those developing the Cadillac CTS have used the track to verify the car’s viability and competitiveness with vehicles such as the sports sedans built by BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
John Heinricy heads General Motors High-Performance Vehicle Operations group. In addition to being a long-time development engineer, he is an accomplished racecar driver with 11 Sports Car Club of America national championships. He says that to even come close to learning what can be gained from a single trip to the Nurburgring, engineers would have to visit at least seven racetracks spread across the United States and Canada, but even then they couldn’t duplicate everything the ‘ring exposes about a vehicle’s dynamic capabilities. “It’s very total vehicle here,” he says, listing “brakes, powertrain, powertrain cooling, suspension ride and handling and all of the various computerized control systems and how all such systems work together.”
“We get learn a tremendous amount about our car coming here,” adds Doug Houlihan, chief engineer for the Camaro. “Number one, it’s a confirmation of the tuning that we’ve already done. It provides us critical feedback on our up-level Brembo brake fade performance, highlights any deficiencies in our chassis tuning and verifies our engine and oil and transmission oil cooler capabilities. This is a good confirmation of the testing and the development we’ve done so far and we see how it handles on this track.”
The car handled the track very well, “but there’s still more work to make it the best it can be,” notes chief engineer Doug Houlihan. “We know what we need to do when we get back to Melbourne. We will not stop until this car is perfect. Anything less is a failure and unacceptable.”

Last edited by fbodfather; 10-27-2008 at 12:09 PM.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #2
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Good Afternoon, Camaro Comrades and Firebird Friends!

Some of you have already heard the 'buzz' that there IS INDEED a new Book in the making that talks about the 5th Generation Camaro..........

"Camaro - A Legend Reborn" by Larry Edsall is a book you WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT DOWN once you start to read it.......

We've been privileged to proof-read the book -- it takes you from the dark day in August of 2007 when the last 4th gens went down the line at Ste. Therese -- to the present as we work to get the new Camaro on the street.........

You can pre-order your book by going here:

http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/Prod...ails_41892.ncm

Estimated date of warehouse is February 15, 2009 -- one day before we start building YOUR new Camaro.

We hope you'll order this book -- and that it will give you a much deeper insight as to some of the elements in vehicle development......

John Fitzpatrick
Cheryl Pilcher
Scott Settlemire

Here's a few excerpts:

Saddle up!” says Stephen James. James is a vehicle integration engineer, overseeing fuel economy and drive quality on the new Camaro. But in early December 0f 2007, some 14 months before the scheduled start of production, he’s also serving as trail boss for the first real test of Camaro prototype vehicles, a drive up through southeastern Australia’s “alps” and along its seacoast.
After so many months of work, this so-called 65-percent development drive will be the engineers’ first real opportunity to taste the fruit of their work.
“We’re getting the big bits dialed in,” vehicle line executive Gene Stefanyshyn sees as one of the primary goals for the excursion. “Do you like the suspension set up? Is it too soft? Too firm? Do you like the steering? How does the braking feel? Does the throttle progression feel right? How does the shifter feel? How’s the HVAC (heating/ventilation/air conditioning) performance? Is the temperature of the engine where it should be? All that kind of stuff.”
After the engineers do their driving, they seek third-party feedback, inviting Australian auto racing superstar Mark Skaife to do some hot laps at Holden’s Lang Lang proving grounds, which, Skaife notes, “usually brings out the worst characteristics of a car.”
Skaife notes that through one particularly fast section of the circuit, “my marker [for judging a car’s capabilities] is 160 kilometers [per hour, or just under 100 miles per hour] and on the second lap we made 105 miles per hour. That’s really good.”

In the early spring of 2008, a Camaro prototype, IVER No. 75, underwent testing unlike any that any previous Camaro had experienced. This test was held not only in front of the public but in front of General Motors’ own competitors. This test was held on the famed Nordschliefe, the historic northern portion of Germany’s Nurburgring.
While the historic track now has limited use for racing, it has become the test track where the world’s automakers prove the dynamic capabilities of their sportiest cars. Engineers working on recent generations of the Chevrolet Corvette have tested at the Nurburgring for several years and those developing the Cadillac CTS have used the track to verify the car’s viability and competitiveness with vehicles such as the sports sedans built by BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
John Heinricy heads General Motors High-Performance Vehicle Operations group. In addition to being a long-time development engineer, he is an accomplished racecar driver with 11 Sports Car Club of America national championships. He says that to even come close to learning what can be gained from a single trip to the Nurburgring, engineers would have to visit at least seven racetracks spread across the United States and Canada, but even then they couldn’t duplicate everything the ‘ring exposes about a vehicle’s dynamic capabilities. “It’s very total vehicle here,” he says, listing “brakes, powertrain, powertrain cooling, suspension ride and handling and all of the various computerized control systems and how all such systems work together.”
“We get learn a tremendous amount about our car coming here,” adds Doug Houlihan, chief engineer for the Camaro. “Number one, it’s a confirmation of the tuning that we’ve already done. It provides us critical feedback on our up-level Brembo brake fade performance, highlights any deficiencies in our chassis tuning and verifies our engine and oil and transmission oil cooler capabilities. This is a good confirmation of the testing and the development we’ve done so far and we see how it handles on this track.”
The car handled the track very well, “but there’s still more work to make it the best it can be,” notes chief engineer Doug Houlihan. “We know what we need to do when we get back to Melbourne. We will not stop until this car is perfect. Anything less is a failure and unacceptable.”
I know this is a typo but wouldn't that be 2002.
I feel wrong correcting Fbodfather, sorry
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
pre-ordered
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 PM   #4
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
double that type-o...

10 lashes! for correcting the Father, that is...

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
TRUST ME -- it was a mistype -- I was doing three things at once while on the telephone............

The Proof???

Chapter 1 --

Chapter One:
A period of mourning

“It was not unlike losing a member of the family,” is how Scott Settlemire remembers the telephone call telling him the last Chevrolet Camaro had rolled off the assembly line.

“The last car came off the assembly line at 9:04 a.m. on August twenty-seventh of two thousand and two,” he says. “The reason I know was that I as standing in the parking lot of a funeral home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, burying my favorite uncle who had been a wonderful mentor to me growing up. They had asked us not to come out to the plant because it was a very emotional day for a lot of the people there, but they called me and said, ‘well, it’s done’.”
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Ordered mine!

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Should that be "get TO learn?"

Back on topic, this appears that it will be an amazing book. I will have to order a copy when I order my Camaro.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Quote:
I was doing three things at once while on the telephone............
amazing
reminds me of something The Most Interesting Man in the World would be doing
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2008, 12:56 PM   #9
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
hmmmm haha ^^ someones nose is getting a little brown...

I have pre-ordered mine as well
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
will definately pick this up.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Very cool!! I'll be buying one ASAP.

Thanks, Scott!!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Sounds like a great read. Any mention of Shunt in the book?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
yotaman96

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS1LE 2000 Trans Am WS6
Ordered. Just throw mine in the car when it comes out of the factory.
2015 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
yotaman96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #14
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
hmmmm haha ^^ someones nose is getting a little brown...

I have pre-ordered mine as well

hahaha

i will buy mine used at discount price on Amazon later on...