Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-11-2014, 11:04 PM   #15
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRich2587 View Post
I just called geico and they said the same as long as its not racing which an hpde isn't its covered!
RazorLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
I just called geico and they said the same as long as its not racing which an hpde isn't its covered!
Guys, get it in writing, the policy has exclusions and the written contract is what controls, not what someone told you verbally on the phone...ask them to send you a written document that they cover you on a race track when timing is occuring...
Old 03-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #17
RazorLED

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorLED View Post
Mine is covered under my Geico policy. My policy states as long as its not "road/street racing" and its on a racetrack it's covered.

It does not cover a dedicated race car though. It covers track days.
I did.
RazorLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 PM   #18
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
I've had friends collect under their normal insurance carrier, but then were dropped shortly thereafter and since all insurance companies know about all insurance filings it is tough to get picked up again.
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #19
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Kirk,

You may want to double check the written policy, as was suggested. I also have Geico. I called them and they told me HPDE events are not covered.

I have a friend that was YouTubed driving his car on Charlotte Motor Speedway at Viper Club event. Not racing, similar to an HPDE. His license plate was visible on the video. Geico cancelled his collision on all of his cars.
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 PM   #20
LRJet35

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I did because I have progressive and they are very clear that they don't cover anything on any form of a race track. In fact they don't even cover the car within the bonds of the raceway property. I used ontrackinrurance.com. I think it came to about $250 for a 35k valuation. 10% deductible with a min detectable of 3500 I believe. Would still be expensive if you just scrape a wall, but def gives some peace of mind for a major incident.
LRJet35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:09 AM   #21
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I have State Farm and I TOLD my guy my car was going to see track days and asked him whether or not they are covered. He told me no, the street insurance is not going to cover any off-road "track" days. Events that are on the street - possibly but it would depend. He was pretty sure they did not offer coverage for HPDE days. But he's cool and loves Camaros and he wanted to see pics of me on the track so I sent them to him. haha.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #22
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
you geico guys please post the exact wording of the entire section that details this. I find it odd that they used to exclude this and now they don't. I had geico and it was written clear as day that track surface was not permitted. it was written in a way that even being onsite in the parking lot was a grey area.

Also, every state is different so don't goo by what someone elses policy says, read your own.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115922

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.

Last edited by toehead93; 03-15-2014 at 10:05 AM.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #23
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Just phoned State Farm. I'm going to pull my policy and review it. Page 8 in the exclusions section are terms about not using your car off roar or on a track for time trials, competition, jumping. The exclusion basically doesn't say anything about HPDE but it does say that competition is excluded. The agent's interpretation was that HPDE is acceptable. Again, I'm going to pull my policy and read the exclusion. I'll post it here. My have a lawyer friend interpret it too.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #24
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Just phoned State Farm. I'm going to pull my policy and review it. Page 8 in the exclusions section are terms about not using your car off roar or on a track for time trials, competition, jumping. The exclusion basically doesn't say anything about HPDE but it does say that competition is excluded. The agent's interpretation was that HPDE is acceptable. Again, I'm going to pull my policy and read the exclusion. I'll post it here. My have a lawyer friend interpret it too.

Again, it doesn't matter what your agent tells you verbally, it matters what the written contract states and how the claims department interprets it. If you are on a racetrack or autocross with timing, that could be considered competition...so tread carefully.

Any discussion you have verbally will not supersede the written contract, no matter how good a guy your agent is....
Old 03-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Now I'm very curious as to what you find out on State Farm's coverage of HPDE days at an actual race track. Would be great if we didn't have to buy extra coverage since all I will ever go to are HPDE days (I will never compete or do timed trials against other cars.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Old 03-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I have had State Farm for my bikes and did track days with them all the time. I never crashed mine, but I also reviewed the policy every year and your bike is insured as long as its not a competition the bike is covered. I have a friend who wrecked his R6 at a track day and also had State Farm, they totaled the bike and payed him, no questions asked. As long as there is no scoring, money or timing for cash or points, you are covered.

Don't see any reason why their car policies would be any different, but its definitely worth a look.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #27
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
seriously, don't fool yourselves. just buy track insurance. this happened january with geico....
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...so-well-3.html

i would ask your agent for clarification and if they say yes get it in writing and ask them if they are wrong will is still be covered? they are the licensed expert not us, so they should be responsible if the are wrong, however that may not be the case.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:40 PM   #28
umiami2312

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic
I have Geico and the fine print says "race, speed, demolition, or stunting activity" as a part of the exclusions.
umiami2312 is offline   Reply With Quote