Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #43
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Admitting your wrong is the first step in recovery. Are you ready to take that? Or are you still thinking your are the smartest man walking the face if this earth. I hope you don't tune cars for a living.
When did I say I'm the smartest man? I'm saying HP has nothing to do with an engine limit. It's not like if you hit 1400hp omg the engine is going to die. There's multiple factors included and saying boost doesn't affect the engine limit is plain wrong and dumb.

Now you and the other guy are going to tell me octane rating has nothing to do with an engine limit either... lol.

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #44
Mr. Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Rally Yellow & 68 SS
AS OF 1/29/16 @ 633 RWHP=10.10@136
TOPED 700 PASSES AFTER F.I. AND STILL ON THE ORIGIANAL STOCK AXLE & DIFF
Mr. Nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #45
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayedv View Post
Well I've had my "meth" car up and running with spray and boost.

Didn't yours blow up?

I can understand you don't like meth but it's not a "bad" system at all. People who say its bad either hear its bad or have gone on the cheap side. I can name you about 15 other cars in my area who have been running meth for 2+ years with no problem. Same pump and all.

Nitrous blows cars up does that mean its bad? It has components that can fail and cause catastrophic engine failure... Does that mean spray is bad?
I think meth is good. We put it back on out Grand National.

It works, no argument there.

Here's the issue:

When you are relying on meth for fuel, usually because the fuel system isn't adequate, you are walking a thin line. The slightest hiccup and you're done. Why gamble. Build the problem fuel system then add meth. That way if it fails you don't loose an engine. Just because it works in 100 cars doesn't mean it's fail proof. It fails all the time. Again, just bc you know a small percentage of people with it doesn't me it doesn't break.

The moral of the story is dont use meth as the fueling.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #46
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayedv View Post
When did I say I'm the smartest man? I'm saying HP has nothing to do with an engine limit. It's not like if you hit 1400hp omg the engine is going to die. There's multiple factors included and saying boost doesn't affect the engine limit is plain wrong and dumb.

Now you and the other guy are going to tell me octane rating has nothing to do with an engine limit either... lol.
Who said anything about octane. Please stay on the topic. Who said boost doesn't affect the engine limit? Not me. If that was the care people would be making 20 psi all day long on a stock ls3. That's hardly the case.

One topic at a time. Right now it's methanol.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #47
sprayedv

Quote:
Who said anything about octane. Please stay on the topic. Who said boost doesn't affect the engine limit? Not me. If that was the care people would be making 20 psi all day long on a stock ls3. That's hardly the case.

One topic at a time. Right now it's methanol.

This whole discussion was about engine limits with the other genius kid who said boost doesn't affect engine limits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
It's not even about boost that matter to a motor, it's dynamic compression, cylinder pressure. Anything over 650whp is on borrowed time.
Quote:
I'll simplify this for you, dynamic compression=horsepower. Engines don't give adamn about boost, your motor that makes 650hp at 11psi is no safer than a motor making 650 with 17psi, because the total cylinder pressure is the SAME.

Horsepower on a dyno doesn't mean jack, they are a tuning tool and nothing else. Track times are the only thing that matters. If you want to build a dyno queen go for it, meth works well for that, it's a cheap way to make more power.

This was my whole arguement in this thread, then you chimed this to my facepalm to 2ss4th...

Quote:
Admitting your wrong is the first step in recovery. Are you ready to take that? Or are you still thinking your are the smartest man walking the face if this earth. I hope you don't tune cars for a living.

I was never really arguing about meth... I just don't think it's "cheap" or used for "dyno queens..."

Quote:
I've seen expensive meth kits fail. I don't cut corners on my cars, so I don't need crutches like meth to keep it all together.
Quote:
If you want to build a dyno queen go for it, meth works well for that, it's a cheap way to make more power.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #48
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
There's no magical boost number that will blow an engine, very few understand this, because very few of us build engines. Dynamic compression blows motors up, is boost part of that equation? Yes, but a small part of it. This is because a 14:1 CR motor running 5psi of boost is more likely to fail than a 9:1 CR motor running 5psi of boost. This is why boost by itself doesn't matter.

The other issue with trying to argue that boost is the way to measure failure rate is this, it measures restriction. So, a motor with ported heads, a ported manifold, larger primary headers, etc. will naturally result in lower boost levels, but will make more power. This is why I have to spin my blower faster to make the same amount of boost as Jamie, my motor's resistance to airflow is less. In the same way that Jamie and I have very different power bands and horsepower figures, but the same amount of boost.

Until you understand this, and I doubt you will, you shouldn't tell someone what is safe for a motor and what isn't.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
sprayedv

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #50
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
It's a mind blowing concept I know.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #51
BooSSted

Drives: 2017 Z06 / 2012 CTS
OP ---

PERSONALLY .. Given adequate fuel, I don't like to boost NA stock motors higher than 10#'s ...

Depending on your end game, and purpose with the car, bolt ons + cam and 10#s makes for a very fun car.

Tags
camaro ls3 boost supercharger