Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
No TPMS

Can you drive around WITHOUT the TPMS synced or on the wheels?

I have new wheels that have new tpms synced and I want to throw My old
wheels on for track days, but don't want to go through the hassle of re-syncing
My old wheels and tpms everytime? What happens if you fail to re-sync or ignore the warning light?
Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
mntgome1

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS/RS
Not a thing. Just annoying to some individuals. First thing I have to do everytime i get in the car is hit enter to acknowledge the TPMS fault. But make sure you keep an eye on your Tire Pressure if you arent depending on your system.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
+1. Ive had my wheels with no TPMS for like almost a year now and no problems a lot.. actually I thought it was going to be more annoying but you cant even tell.. the light is too smalll.. lol.. the part that pisses me off is acknowledging the message.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
FRANK121

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Thats good to know. Whats happens if:

I have front and rear wheels that are currently synced on the car.

I remove the rear wheels and put on another rear set for the track.
( These wheels have tpms sensors in them but are not synced) I leave them as is and do not sync them.

After the track I mount the original rear wheels. Are they still synced like before? Or do I have to go through the process for the entire set to sync again?

Never been Dynoed
FRANK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK121 View Post
Thats good to know. Whats happens if:

I have front and rear wheels that are currently synced on the car.

I remove the rear wheels and put on another rear set for the track.
( These wheels have tpms sensors in them but are not synced) I leave them as is and do not sync them.

After the track I mount the original rear wheels. Are they still synced like before? Or do I have to go through the process for the entire set to sync again?

As long as you put the wheel in the exact location that it came off, you won't have to re-sync them.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
ragtop11

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
don't know if this would work on our camaro's, put we use to do this on other vehicles to "trick" tpms system.
get a 8" piece of 4" PVC pipe and 2 end caps, drill a hole on one of the end caps, install a standard valve stem, wrap each of your tpms in bubble wrap or toweling, place all 4 in PVC pipe and glue both ends, let dry completly, place 36psi in tube, place tube somewhere in vehicle. TPMS warning lights will not come on as the system is detecting that all 4 tires are properly inflated.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
CamaroSS45
Annihilator

Drives: 2012 45th ERL-427 F1X
Question TPMS Synch ...? - Drag Radials / Street Wheel swap

Guys - good thread and since I am doing the Drag Radial shuffle - and know they have TPMS sensors (but not synch'd but the routine) is the only way to get this initial pairing done thru a dealer?

I think they use RF to communicate back to the car and curious if once you pair them - like your TV remote - when the swap occurs (if you force the synch) you will be able to get readout from either set ...

I have been manually winging it with my drag radials (and now have another pair) but give I am doing pressure up/down with those this clearly would be a nice to have.

Thanks for the advice here.
CamaroSS45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
scuba264

Drives: Manual 2011 CGM LS
Does anyone have a pic of the dash with the light on? I'm just curious where it is and what it looks like and how annoying it will be. I picked up some aftermarket wheels and this weekend will be mounting my all seasons to them and moving my stock TPMS there, then using my old steels with winter tires and no TPMS.

Wanted to see where it is. I saw people saying you could take apart the dash and electrical tape over the led, is it in a spot that you could just tape on the dash itself neatly? Apparently not a big deal for a few months either way.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #9
CamaroSS45
Annihilator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
Does anyone have a pic of the dash with the light on? I'm just curious where it is and what it looks like and how annoying it will be. I picked up some aftermarket wheels and this weekend will be mounting my all seasons to them and moving my stock TPMS there, then using my old steels with winter tires and no TPMS.

Wanted to see where it is. I saw people saying you could take apart the dash and electrical tape over the led, is it in a spot that you could just tape on the dash itself neatly? Apparently not a big deal for a few months either way.
Orange light - left side - looks orange / tire - image should show. And your center will say "check tire yada yada" ..

To me (since I drag radial swap all the time) it's just an annoyance I'd like to clear since I'm more concerned about more important indicators flashing. I have heard this is a Federal Mandate so tricky to impossible to rid of..... at least from the computer side.

If you are doing a wheel swap full time - I'd get TPMS's (save the hassle and they add value). That little pipe thing is interesting but requires the TPMS's and to me not worth the hassle... (ALSO!) with drag radials / slicks the pressure will almost always be below the trigger amount - so even if they were within the wheels - they would alarm.

Disable "somehow" would be nice or a cheap price for them to jam in one of those tubes and do that trick....

Name:  TPMS.png
Views: 1013
Size:  23.9 KB
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
scuba264

Oh great, thanks. Honestly I just picked up rims, new lugs, new valve stems that accept TPMS for the new rims, and have to pay to move my current all seasons and TPMS from my steel wheels to the aftermarket, and also to mount my snow tires onto the old steels without TPMS then.

I just don't feel like dropping another 1-200 dollars on the monitors right now. I'll run my winters from late Nov/early Dec to late Feb/early March so its not that long. Eventually I'll probably pick some up when I'd find a deal.

I keep seeing the pvc pipe idea, I don't understand the purpose. Seems like a lot more effort just to not put them in you wheels. I ordered stems for like $10, why wouldn't you just do that? I mean, if I drop money on the monitors, they might as well tell me if a damn wheel has a nail in it haha Maybe some wheels just don't have stems that work with it available?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
my TPMS isn't right half the time anyways, I could do without it honestly.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
CamaroSS45
Annihilator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba264 View Post
Oh great, thanks. Honestly I just picked up rims, new lugs, new valve stems that accept TPMS for the new rims, and have to pay to move my current all seasons and TPMS from my steel wheels to the aftermarket, and also to mount my snow tires onto the old steels without TPMS then.

I just don't feel like dropping another 1-200 dollars on the monitors right now. I'll run my winters from late Nov/early Dec to late Feb/early March so its not that long. Eventually I'll probably pick some up when I'd find a deal.

I keep seeing the pvc pipe idea, I don't understand the purpose. Seems like a lot more effort just to not put them in you wheels. I ordered stems for like $10, why wouldn't you just do that? I mean, if I drop money on the monitors, they might as well tell me if a damn wheel has a nail in it haha Maybe some wheels just don't have stems that work with it available?
The concept of the PVC Idea is this .... For guys like me, or Drag Setups, that swap tires a lot (completely) - it puts your 1 set of TPMS sensors in a tube with the proper PSI and that sends the signal via RF back to the car stating (all is well) ..... No matter if you have them in the tires or not. It clearly won't help your Tire Pressure reading - but will keep the warning from going on, and make sure you have good air levels in your PVC tube )))

If you are doing for seasonal - more full time - it can make sense to have them moved around but everyones situation is different.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
scuba264

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS45 View Post
The concept of the PVC Idea is this .... For guys like me, or Drag Setups, that swap tires a lot (completely) - it puts your 1 set of TPMS sensors in a tube with the proper PSI and that sends the signal via RF back to the car stating (all is well) ..... No matter if you have them in the tires or not. It clearly won't help your Tire Pressure reading - but will keep the warning from going on, and make sure you have good air levels in your PVC tube )))

If you are doing for seasonal - more full time - it can make sense to have them moved around but everyones situation is different.
I see. Yeah for a drag setup if you're changing your wheels every Sunday I guess that makes sense. Just take the hassle of swapping or lights or relearns out of the equation.