Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-19-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
jimmyh

Drives: 2011 1LT => 2010 2SS
I am new, had a CTS-V, looking at an SS

Hey fellas (and ladies), I am new to the Camaro world. I have been looking at them the past few weeks. I have liked what I have seen ever since I started reading about them a few years back. I have driven a V6 auto, and I was VERY impressed by the handling. I have read the V6 handling is a little bit sharper than the V8, but even if the SS is only 80% of the LT (and I am sure it is more than that) I would be happy. I havent driven the SS yet.

I had a 2005 CTS-V that I sold a while back. I have been kicking myself ever since I did. The CTS3.6 I have now just is not cutting it anymore. So while I might still get back into a V, I am leaning towards the Camaro. After driving sedans for most of the last 20 years, I think it might be time for a change.

Some questions for you folks:

1. I read where the 19" wheels from the LT will fit the SS. Can others confirm this? I will definitely need some snow tires for next winter.
  2. Anyone familiar with the CTS-V will understand this question--how is the differential? Noisy? Any chatter? Any wheel-hop?
  3. Has anyone put booster seats in the back seat? I have a 5 and 3 year old. They rarely need to ride in my car, but there are special occasions. It looks like it wouldnt be too bad, just wondering if anyone has experience.
  4. This is kind of a strange question--I kind of want the 2SS for the bluetooth and usb, but I am tired of leather. Anyone in Chicagoland willing to swap their cloth for my leather if that is what I get?
  5. I am a HUGE transformers fan. TF edition are hard to come by, so I figure I will just order the fender badges and wheelcaps (I don't need the sills/armrest/hood logo.) Anyone else done this?
  6. I intend no offense, but the SS exhaust note sounds a little weak (at least compared to the V) Anyone done any muffler swaps? I am not interested in doing a catback if it can be avoided.

Sorry for the long post fellas. I have been lurking here a little while, and it seems like a nice mix of people here, and I hope to have some fun and get some knowledge here.

Thanks!!!
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Miketebo22
Iceman

Drives: SOLD #20,908 SS waiting for ZL1
Send a message via MSN to Miketebo22
Welcome to Camaro5!

1. Yes the 19's will fit the SS

2. Chatter, not so much, wheelhop yes...but its not too bad

3. Booster seats will fit just fine so long as they are not really big

4. The leather is nice in these, its perforated and breathable

5. You can probably still find a 2SS TF edition around somwhere. Dont give up the search! but the fender badges and wheelcaps are an easy order as well.

You may be a bit disappointed going from a V to the SS, but its a damn nice car and you can easily make more power than the V with a few mods and a bit of money!
Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
jimmyh

Thanks for the quick response! As far the disappointment you speak of, I don't think so. The V is luxurious, but it's also raw. My beef with my CTS is that it is too refined. It feels like the luxury is overwhelming the sport. As for power, my days of stoplight racing are way behind me. Acceleration doesn't thrill me much anymore. I want a car that can dance. And some V8 rumble (otherwise I would get the V6) Oh yeah, I found a 2SS TF, but it's $1000 more, and another 1.5 hours away.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
Thanks for the quick response! As far the disappointment you speak of, I don't think so. The V is luxurious, but it's also raw. My beef with my CTS is that it is too refined. It feels like the luxury is overwhelming the sport. As for power, my days of stoplight racing are way behind me. Acceleration doesn't thrill me much anymore. I want a car that can dance. And some V8 rumble (otherwise I would get the V6)
in a 2005 model? really? are you serious? IMO i thought the G8 was better than the CTS (1st gen)
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
get it you will love it.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I've done a muffler delete on my 1ss manual. Love all the extra sound, but it doesn't have a drone to it like my mothers Z06 vette with no mufflers. Attached is a link to a video from my last car club cruise. If you just forward to about 0.20 in the video you will see (and hear) my camaro pulling out. Muffler deletes are a cheap way to improve the sound, but it won't get you much in the way of a power increase.

MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Get a new CTS V,much better car and will smoke the SS!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Welcome to Camaro5 JimmyH. You wouldn't by chance be the same JimmyH that is a mod on the CadillacOwners.com forums would you? I did a lot of poking around on there researching CTS-V1s before I decided to order a Camaro. Really nice car, but I didn't want to deal with the glass diff.

As for the exhaust note, see the V8 Camaro Aftermarket Exhaust Video Clips Compilation sticky at the top of the Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons section of the forum. There are a lot of aftermarket exhaust options for this car.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
jimmyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class1E View Post
Welcome to Camaro5 JimmyH. You wouldn't by chance be the same JimmyH that is a mod on the CadillacOwners.com forums would you? I did a lot of poking around on there researching CTS-V1s before I decided to order a Camaro. Really nice car, but I didn't want to deal with the glass diff.

As for the exhaust note, see the V8 Camaro Aftermarket Exhaust Video Clips Compilation sticky at the top of the Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons section of the forum. There are a lot of aftermarket exhaust options for this car.

Yeah that's me. The glass diff is a misconception. It is not that bad. Just about everyone who bombed theirs did so on a 1-2 powershift.

I see alot about muffler deletes these days. Won't that get you a failed emissions test? Removing the muffler entirely doesn't seem logical to me.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
jimmyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Get a new CTS V,much better car and will smoke the SS!
Too expensive. And too heavy. It's faster in a straight line, but that's about it. The 2nd gen CTS (despite what the car rags say) has gone a little soft, V included. They are luxury sedan first, sport sedan second. And actually, I am little tired of both. Like I said, I am looking for a change.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Yeah that's me. The glass diff is a misconception. It is not that bad. Just about everyone who bombed theirs did so on a 1-2 powershift.

I see alot about muffler deletes these days. Won't that get you a failed emissions test? Removing the muffler entirely doesn't seem logical to me.
There do seem to be quite a few people doing the muffler delete. Obviously a simple muffler delete is the best bang for the buck if the goal is to simply make the car loud, but it's not the sound I'm looking for. I'm partial to the Borla S-type cat-back. As far as emissions, I can't speak to that; no emissions testing here!
Old 03-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
abacojeff

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS 6M, every other tues
Quote:
The muffler is not emissions equipment - therefore no failure if its removed or modified.

Back in 'the day'... removing a muffler could throw the air/fuel mixture out of whack if the car was loaded with emissions crap (smog pump/air injection reactor), carburetor calibrated for backpressure, etc. -- not an issue for modern cars.

There is, however, the (small) possibility that a louder exhaust could get the attention of the local constabulary for noise abatement laws and there's been a report of somebody here getting a speeding ticket because his car was 'louder than normal, so you must have been speeding'... but you'd have to be fairly paranoid if any of this factors into a decision.

Get a muffler delete done ($100 - $150) or an axle-back system ($500 - $600) and you'll be very happy with the sound.

P.S. when I was sawing off the stock metal garbage cans off the back of the car - my neighbor (who is doing a frame off restoration of a '71 incl. a killer 427 motor) wanted to hear what it sounded like with "open pipes"... I had to explain to him that even after dropping the rear cans - the car still had 4 Cats and a resonator, so it's not going to sound like Nascar.

P.P.S. A muffler delete isn't too different than some of the axle back systems... my Borla S mufflers are straight through with just a little baffling/packing around the perimeter.
abacojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #13
jimmyh

It's an interesting concept. I think I would still go with some magnflow or Borla cans. Corsa have the best sound at WOT, but sound too much like a fishing boat at low engine speeds.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I sold my 05 CTS to get the Camaro. Do it. Do it NOW! Seriously pull the trigger. I loved my CTS it was a great car. The only thing I miss from it was my giant Nav screen.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote