Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
2SS1LE-and-SS

Drives: 1969 SS, 2015 2SS1LE, 2020 ZL1
Thumbs up 1st Post - Advice for Mods including lowering, etc...

Hey everybody. New to this forum. Love the information. So, I have a 2015 2SS1LE that I would like to modify a bit and I am looking for advice as I am not overly technical with much of these topics. Learning.... I mainly use my Camaro for cruise nights, river runs, and road trips. Heading to Black Hills, SD in late August for Hot Cars / Cool Nights. No course or track racing for me. Nice weather car only. But I want my Camaro mean looking, mean sounding, and with the ability to back it up. Here are some modifications I am thinking about:

1) Lowering front 1.25" and back 1.5" to reduce wheel gap. Looking for advice here. I don't want to create a horrible ride. I'd like to keep ride as stock as possible. Is this too aggressive for the ride quality? Any advice on lowering springs that have worked better?

2) Cold air intake. Adds much to horsepower?

3) Installing ZL1AddOn Rock Guards and likely going to repaint lower 1/4 to eliminate some road rash (car only has 6,000 miles, but it is annoying already).

4) Pull the fuse on the NPP? Noticeable or waste of time? Mild to Wild?

5) Maybe blackout accessories. Unsure.

6) Any other must do modifications for sound, horsepower, and quality of ride?

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated for this new member! Great forum! Thanks
Attached Images

2SS1LE-and-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
just me but i wouldn't lower a 1LE.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:22 AM   #3
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Even if you lower it, because of how the rear tire is stretched on the 11" rim, there will still be a "gap" there.

Also, I wouldn't mess with the suspension too much right out of the gate. I ended up with Pedders Xa coilovers after my 1LE struts started to feel worn after 60k miles. I'm happy with them but I still really liked how the OEM struts handled overall. I really need to tune the damping a bit more on the pedders because the ride is very stiff.

Definitely look into solid subframe bushings or at least the inserts. Night/day difference in the rear end feel. Really firms up the rear end step out feeling. I regret not doing them sooner.

Intakes are all fairly similar, just pick which one you like. I'm partial to the Z28 intake for the OEM look and feel, but still haven't bought it. I just put a K&N drop in filter in so I can switch them out easily. There's a chart on here somewhere that shows the measured gains of different brands.

Exhaust is a personal preference thing all the way. My car has the NPP dual mode exhaust and I think it's the best sounding one out there. If yours has it, just pop out the fuse that controls it and enjoy!

Very nice looking car!
Old 07-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
Chevyjk33

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I would agree intakes are all fairly the same except for the no-name ebay ones. However, like the post above I went with the Z28 intake because I liked the clean OEM fit and look. I wouldn't expect a ton of power difference, but you will hear the engine slightly more. Your butt dyno will tell you the car feels a little less corked with one though.

I pulled my NPP fuse and didn't consider the Mild to Wild. Its a cool unit, but unless you live in a fussy neighborhood, I like to always hear the car. Its noticeable, but not hugely noticeable. Even with my headers, I can cruise the highway in 6th and there is no obnoxious sound or drone.

The ZL1 Addons Rock Guards are a must. The previous owner to me must have lived on a gravel road. The gills on the back quarter panel catch a lot of what the tires throw.

If you really want a noticeable power and sound increase that is also a good bang for the buck, look at headers. I went with Kooks 1 7/8 headers on mine with the cats and the sound with the NPP exhaust makes me very happy. Louder than stock, but not obnoxious loud . I was at NCM this past weekend for Camaorfest and it sounded amazing flying down the front straight at 120mph. It was even better after I got the car tuned by Dynosteve at RDP. Way more useable power than it felt like before.

I do autocross and road course mine, so I can't speak to lowering the car. I agree less wheel gap would be nice, but the handling is too good to mess with it for my application.

Last edited by Chevyjk33; 07-18-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Chevyjk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #5
Tunamanz

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE
Talk to JPSS, they have a perfect setup. I did a 1.5" DSE lowering setup and absolutely love it
Tunamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Hoosier1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
An intake is a must. I have a CAI brand that I like. But if you want to maximize the intake, get the air scoop and washer bottle relocate. That made a noticeable difference in the butt dyno.

Another nice bolt on mod is headers. I put ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with off road pipes, and have the NPP exhaust. Sound is amazing. And with a tune, got 437 HP at the wheels.
Hoosier1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
1 Long onE

Drives: White 1le 2SS RS NPP
Best advice for non track owner of the 1le is to buy 1.25 in lowering pfadt(sold under AFE power now) progressive springs. They increase the overall springs rate, lower the ride height to close the wheel gap and then they even make the car drive smoother. Win-win in all situations. If you were to track the car, then I would invest in a linear spring set up.

In terms of performance, I put the Z28 cai(any good brand cai would do), ported throttle body, and tuned by dynosteve(all worth it and easy to do). He also turned off the skip shift for me. I would also recommend this.

If you are doing long tubes, then invest in the mild to wild so that you can close the flaps when you want it quiet. Im not sure if mild to wild does fully closed as an option or not, but there may be a competitor that does have the option of fully closed, fully opened and automatic. I think mild to wild has fully open and automatic as the only options.

Anyways good luck and congrats on a great car.

Last edited by 1 Long onE; 07-29-2019 at 04:57 PM.
1 Long onE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #8
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
There is a good post on doing the mild/wild/factory switch. i just did it after thorough reading and i couldn't be any happier about it. i took my time and ran the wires up under the back seat to the middle console and that took patience. but in the end it is so worth it. i included the link, with the NPP and if you decide to do headers and other work, this is a must do. i have tsp headers, straight pipe to a x pipe and then factory npp exhaust and love it.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318683
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:18 AM   #9
mpsgolf

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS Transformer
Great CAI thread. Spreadsheet has test results from Jannety Racing. I went with CAI.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107002
Mods: trunk subwoofer and amp, LED lighting (fogs, interior, trunk), skip shift eliminator, CAI cold air kit, Vmax ported throttle body, Stainless Works retro chambered cat back, JBA Cat4ward SS ceramic coated headers
Potential Next Mods: Tune, F&R sway bars, rear cradle bushing inserts and trailing arms
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote