Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
whitetiger777

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
Starting to get annoyed with my Camaro

So there are two things with my Camaro that are starting to annoy me.

1) When filling up I always have to hold the gas pump up a little otherwise it will click off. This is very annoying if I want to check the oil, wash the windows or go in for something to drink. Plus I'm standing out there holding the gas pump like a doof. And this happens at every gas station not just one.

2) The reverse. I'm running a manual and I can't count the amount of times I'm at a stop light and go for first and here that little beep and see the R in my dash. So I quickly go to neutral and go for first again only to hit reverse again. It seems like its easier to hit reverse once you already have hit it. WHY NO REVERSE LOCK OUT?????

Don't know why but these things are starting to disenchant me to the car....
whitetiger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger777 View Post

1) When filling up I always have to hold the gas pump up a little otherwise it will click off. This is very annoying if I want to check the oil, wash the windows or go in for something to drink. Plus I'm standing out there holding the gas pump like a doof. And this happens at every gas station not just one.

2) The reverse. I'm running a manual and I can't count the amount of times I'm at a stop light and go for first and here that little beep and see the R in my dash. So I quickly go to neutral and go for first again only to hit reverse again. It seems like its easier to hit reverse once you already have hit it. WHY NO REVERSE LOCK OUT?????

Don't know why but these things are starting to disenchant me to the car....
Maybe get an automatic trans plug in electric. You never have to fill up and all you have to deal with is D/R/N/P. Might be worth it, i hear the Leaf is pretty sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
... Reverse instead of first? Bro, are you trying to put it into 5th instead of 1st? Reverse is on the right.

Also, never had that problem at the pump. I'm not sure if others have, but maybe check with your dealer and see if they can take a look at it. Mine fills up fine

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
.....drive the car more and you wont have that problem.....A yep hold on to the handle to pump gas!!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Rangore

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS 45th Anniversary Ed
I never have issues with filling up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Uhh Im guessing you have a V6 manual like me, reverse is up to the left for those who don know, euro style.

You have to push it with some force to move it past the blocker and get it into reverse unlike the smooth fluid motion of going right into first. Lol you shouldnt be driving a manual if youre having this issue.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:

Many gas stations around here require you to be at the pump during refueling...some aren't even equipped with the little lock-latch thingy...I dunno, I guess I'm hoping that comforts you because there are a lot of "doofs" around here.

As far as the nozzle thing...I have the same problem with the Cobalt, but it varies from station to station...the best advise I have is you've got to find the sweet spot which may mean adjusting how far the nozzle goes into the car....
Quote:
Because then you couldn't go in reverse? How does the car know you're at a stoplight or in a parking lot?

Sounds like you may need to get a better feel for the gates, is all...more time.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
never had that gas problem. also my last car was like the v6 gears, and i never had a problem , also why the hell would reverse be locked at when you are at idle.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
... Reverse instead of first? Bro, are you trying to put it into 5th instead of 1st? Reverse is on the right.

Also, never had that problem at the pump. I'm not sure if others have, but maybe check with your dealer and see if they can take a look at it. Mine fills up fine
not on the v6 tranny
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
JKBUMBLEBEE
TEAM LLT ! NY5thGEN

Drives: 2011 3.6L V6 328HP Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroptopZ View Post
not on a v6..

and yea idk why there isnt any reverse lockout it bothers me also
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #11
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
See, if you had gotten an SS you wouldn't have this reverse problem.
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #12
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
I swear I saw a thread on here where people had the same trouble with the gas issue but it had something to do with the pumps there in Cali. I've never had any trouble what so ever with mine at any of the pumps here in KY.
As far as the reverse thing goes sounds to me like you might be trying to hard to stick the shifter in gear. I've found with both my M6 camaros and the trans am that these cars will easily pop right into gear for you with just a gentle push. If you get to forceful you start missing the right gears. Maybe just pay attention to how you shift and see if that is the cause.
Also havent tested it on the 5th gen yet but the 4th gens had reverse lockout but it only works when the car is moving a certain amount. If the car isnt moving enough its not gonna lock you out. Im guessing the 5th gen is probably the same. If I wasnt laid up with a swollen knee I'd go out and test that theory for you.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #13
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
If you are that nervous or whatever to not feel what gear you are in you shouldn't be driving. And especially a stick man. Its very hard to confuse reverse and first. I have never done it. I have taught a few people how to drive stick and they have never done it either. They are usually scared to pull on the shifter hard enough to get it into reverse.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #14
xXSilencerXx
Butter Bar!

Drives: 2011 SS, 1998 Trans Am
Never had the problem with the pump. If you have that much trouble with reverse, you need to practice more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
never had that gas problem. also my last car was like the v6 gears, and i never had a problem , also why the hell would reverse be locked at when you are at idle.
He probably wants one like on my sister's Cobalt, where you have to pull up a piece on the shifter to get it into reverse.
xXSilencerXx is offline   Reply With Quote