Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
I want to be an Automotive Engineer

I decided I wanted to be an automotive engineer and I figured how I'm going to do that but Im catching heat cause Im not going to college just yet

Lincoln tech has a 15 month associate degree program for an automotive tech- figured if im to be an engineer I got to know a car inside and out and I have some knowledge about engines but not alot so I figured I'll be a greass monkey for a bit

now during the 15 month program theres a chance that you can win a 5 month paid internship starting at $16-$18 an hour- something about being certified tech for Audi, Benz, BMW, Volvo, and Saab, and I think I will go for the BMW Program down south

Figured I'll be a certified tech at a BMW dealership for a while then get tuition reinbursment from BMW then go back to school for engineering

I'm catching heat from my mom and my Bitch of a sister about not going to college first my dad is for it

he told me that in the automotive industrie that its not all about education its about experiance , he gave me an example:

lets say my dad works for GM and was incharge of hiring engineers he said

He would rather hire a person with a degree and 2-4 years HANDS ON EXPERIANCE under his belt then rather hire some guy straight out of college

So my mom hates me right now, this is insane

Do anyone here think that this is a great path to my dream career

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I think you should do what YOU want....experience is never a bad thing. And so long as you go to college (instead of becoming comfortable at BMW), I see nothing wrong with it!

Good for you, and Good luck!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Coming from someone who has 3 engineering degrees, one of which is an AS degree. The AS degree is worthless, get a BS and don't look back. Don't be someones bitch if you don't have too. Also why limit yourself to automotive engineering only? Pick Mechanical or Electrical, and you will still be able to work for the auto industry, but you will not be limited in your options.
02 SS, STOCK, THE SLO HO
08 CTS, POS
EFI Live
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences!"

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
My son is going to start the GMASE Program (GM Automotive Service Excellence Program) this coming fall. It's a 2 year program and he will also be sponsored by a GM brand (whether a dealership or parts supplier).

During the program, he goes to school for 8 weeks and then works for 4 weeks with his sponsor agency. Upon completion, he'll have his AS and then transfer to a 4-year school to finish his degree in Automotive Engineering.

It's a good plan I think and sounds like you are doign the same thing only it's not GM.

He wanted to stop after the 2 years and go to work but I said no, you have to finish the degree or you'll be a wrench monkey your whole life...and seeing as I'm paying for it, he really didn't have a choice!

I try to be supportive of my children and what they want to do...I respect him wanting to work in the automotive industry but at the same time, don't want him to struggle with income so I suggested the continuation of school and he bought in on it.

He starts 12 Jan 09 to get his basic classes in and will be a semester ahead when the program starts in the fall of 2009.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #5
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
My brother did something very similar. He went to school for his Associates in Mechanical Engineering. He then did the 15-month Lincoln Tech program. He is actually finishing this week and was accepted into the Mercedes training program down in Orlando starting in April.

I would say get at least an Associates just to have the Engineering background. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
You must have a degree in Mechanical Engineering to be a automotive engineer right?

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
I would say you do need to do what makes YOU happy, but I am sure you're mom is just looking out for your best interests I don't discount experience...it is important, but not at the expense of a degree. At a minimum an associates...but these days I would try hard to obtain the bachelors. An engineering degree coupled with experience would open a lot of doors in the automotive industry (if that is what you decide to do). Another option with potential in auto industry..Industrial Engineer?
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
You must have a degree in Mechanical Engineering to be a automotive engineer right?

Not necessarily there are automotive engineering degrees. I thought thats what you were reffereing too. If your plan is to get a mechanical engineering degree, I would think you are on the right track.
02 SS, STOCK, THE SLO HO
08 CTS, POS
EFI Live
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences!"

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
TonytheTiger

Drives: 1999 camaro rs
Look like most of you have people that have attended lincolin , most i hear are wyo tech and uti.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #10
Hesh

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro Vin 34334
Most of the "technical schools" are a ripoff. I looked into the same thing for getting training for automotive. You may want to check for a community college program that offers it as well. Same thing as Lincoln Tech but cost a hell of alot less. I know when I checked into it Lincoln Tech wanted 24k to attend and it around 3k to do it through a community college.
Hesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 AM   #11
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I decided I wanted to be an automotive engineer and I figured how I'm going to do that but Im catching heat cause Im not going to college just yet

Lincoln tech has a 15 month associate degree program for an automotive tech- figured if im to be an engineer I got to know a car inside and out and I have some knowledge about engines but not alot so I figured I'll be a greass monkey for a bit

now during the 15 month program theres a chance that you can win a 5 month paid internship starting at $16-$18 an hour- something about being certified tech for Audi, Benz, BMW, Volvo, and Saab, and I think I will go for the BMW Program down south

Figured I'll be a certified tech at a BMW dealership for a while then get tuition reinbursment from BMW then go back to school for engineering

I'm catching heat from my mom and my Bitch of a sister about not going to college first my dad is for it

he told me that in the automotive industrie that its not all about education its about experiance , he gave me an example:

lets say my dad works for GM and was incharge of hiring engineers he said

He would rather hire a person with a degree and 2-4 years HANDS ON EXPERIANCE under his belt then rather hire some guy straight out of college

So my mom hates me right now, this is insane

Do anyone here think that this is a great path to my dream career

I cannot speak to the details on how to get it done...but what many are missing here, is you have a passion for a career path.

Do not give that up.

You may hit bumps in the road along the way, but if you stick to your guns, you will get there.

I can only say that because of our current economic and job conditions, that you will need to be very patient.

You will find a way to get there.

Just keep asking questions, and those more experienced than myself can help point you in the right direction.

Stick to your passion.

Oh, and when your a "Senior Super Engineer Dude," we expect you to help us noobs understand and work with whatever next-gen advances you all come up with in the future.

Good luck, sir.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
going to school and becoming a mechanic/technician first is a pretty good idea. Engineers who design cars but don't understand them do things like put batteries by the front wheel 'because it fits'. As far as getting an engineering degree, I recommend getting a degree in mechanical and taking any automotive related courses you can as electives, rather than a specific automotive engineering degree. It will keep your options open. Oh, and become a master of CAD.

When I was in school, I knew a guy who was a tech at GM for years. He wasn't allowed to do any design work because he wasn't an engineer. Experience counts for a lot, but its not everything.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote