Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
thejoker1232

Drives: furture 1LT synergy green camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to thejoker1232
Need help guys i feel like i am slipping into the dark side with ..... the gt500

i don't really know what to say i love the camaro, but i also love the shelby gt500 (no other mustang just the gt500) i just wanted some of you guys input to be fair from both sides with some positives and negatives i dont own never driven the ss or gt500 so in the end i think i will just have to test drive and see what i like more, but what do you think about the handeling, braking, modding etc... i am trying to dig deeper into this issue because whatever i do get i never want to have second thoughts thanks guys...
thejoker1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Your feelings betray you, I feel the good in you!

Search your feelings, you know the Camaro will Mod better for the price.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Test-driving a GT500 will be darn near impossible unless you can find a used one, or you've got a few thousand dollars to bribe the dealer with...

I hear where you're coming from, though. The king Mustang is a very hot package. It's packing 540hp, big Brembo brakes, a gussied-up interior, aggressive looks, and competent handling. The engine comes built from the factory, so it's not out of the question to easily coax another 200-300 hp out of it. Beware though, that's a realm for dyno queens, because you'll melt your tires every time you twitch your right foot...

Negatives, as I've read it, are an inability to launch consistently (see MotorTrend's 12.8 1/4 mile time...not typical...but those guys do this for a living, and that's the time they got), and skittish handling around curves over rough roads.

The SS, has 430 angry horses, an Independant rear (more competent cornering), mildly lighter weight, more balanced weight distribution, Brembo brakes, a nice interior (a 9 if the Mustang's a 10, but go sit in them both and see for yourself), and looks that'll kill. It gets more consistant runs. Usually at or just above 13 in the 1/4 under average drivers. The LS3 has roughly a 650hp ceiling while remaining reliable, and Pedders can hook up your state-of-the-art suspension system so it can out-manuever a Corvette.

The only "negative" to the car would be its tendency to under steer at the limit. Something you'll only notice if you're racing. Be that as it may, it's easy to fix.

In my very humble opinion...you can get GT500+ performance out of an SS for about the same $$. And keep the look we all fell in love with.

That's about all I've got at the moment...someone might spark my memory later on. Hope it helps!

When are you thinking of buying?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
thejoker1232

i go to hell for 18 months (i start nursing classes in january clinicals etc.) then like a couple months before i graduate (however long it takes to build prob 2-3 months i will probably buy one or the other...
Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoker1232 View Post
i go to hell for 18 months (i start nursing classes in january clinicals etc.) then like a couple months before i graduate (however long it takes to build prob 2-3 months i will probably buy one or the other...
Well...in that case....hehe, don't think to hard on this. Both cars are likely to change in that time. And Chevy has yet to play its Ace in the hole. Zzzzz......
Old 12-06-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
The GT500's advantage over the SS is obviously HP/Torque. No automatic is offered for the GT500 (unless you choose to add an aftermarket, which is major $$$) if you're into drag racing, or just get annoyed by shifting in traffic with all the stop and go. Plus, if you aren't a good driver, you probably won't get any faster times than you would in Camaro due to the supposed difficulty of launching the GT500.

You could throw on mods to outperform the GT500 at a lower price, but throw out the factory warranty you would receive from buying the GT500. In other words, whatever that will screw up with your Camaro, especially with all the different mods needed to outperform the GT500, will be fixed by money out of your own pocket.

Basically the decision should come down to which ever car's looks stand out to you, and which one feels better when driving to you. If you're looking for an attention getter, you should probably go with the modded out Camaro.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
I drove a GT500 just before buying the Camaro. Its is one hell of a car. Its sex in black. But my blood is hugger orange so Camaro it was and no regrets.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
thejoker1232

yeah if i was to get the gt500 it would be black with white or silver stripes
Old 12-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
It's a mustang, that would about make me want to stop having thoughts about it.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejoker1232 View Post
i don't really know what to say i love the camaro, but i also love the shelby gt500 (no other mustang just the gt500) i just wanted some of you guys input to be fair from both sides with some positives and negatives i dont own never driven the ss or gt500 so in the end i think i will just have to test drive and see what i like more, but what do you think about the handeling, braking, modding etc... i am trying to dig deeper into this issue because whatever i do get i never want to have second thoughts thanks guys...
Believe it or not, it is possible to like and appreciate both cars. However, since you are more than 18 months out from being ready to purchase, why would you even be asking this question when both vehicles will be offering the 2012 version of these cars? The things that many people are considering a plus or minus to either car may be irrelevant by the time you are shopping cars.

If you are trying to prevent the prospect of having second thoughts, good luck. I've owned quite a number of cars in my lifetime and I have yet to find any vehicle that 100% satisified every desire I had in a car. The car I'm driving right now comes very close, but even then it leaves room for improvement in some areas.

As I have stated many time before, regardless of what anyone else recommends or tells you, the only real opinion that matters is your own. Some people look to buy a car for its factory performance, others buy them based on its aftermarket support, some buy based strictly on price, others buy based simply on brand loyalty. I don't know what kind of buyer you are, but other things to consider are annual maintenance costs and resale value 5 years down the road.

Last edited by garagelogic; 12-06-2009 at 04:48 PM.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
AgsWin

Drives: 2008 GMC Sierra
I actually am in your exact shoes at the moment. I just went down to Houston yesterday and test drove a used 2010 GT500 thats sterling grey with black stripes. It was on the showroom floor but they pulled it out since I drove 100 miles to get there and was already in talks with one of the internet managers. After that test drive I went across the street and test drove an SS manual.

Here are my thoughts:

The GT500 is very powerful and fun to drive, if you punch it at a stop and are making a turn the back end gets a lil wild but it easily is corrected and that makes it fun. The steering wheel is amazing, It has alcantera on it and just feels like you are driving a higher end car. I like the interior better than the Camaro hands down and it also has SYNC which is basically bluetooth but voice command for ipod too. Essentially the car can has a lot of the mods already done, air intake, rumbling exhaust, wheels, paint, supercharger and warranty for all the above. Yes you can still mod it but you can essentially have a car with 4 of the major mods already done and under factory warranty. Plus all of the handling issues of pre 2009 have been corrected. Adjustable stability control offers a Sport mode that gives allows a little more leeway before kicking in, allowing tail-out powerslides when exiting corners. Inside Line by Edmunds just did a comparison between these 2 and the GT500 won.

The camaro has great power as well but the GT500 would get loose a lot easier, but then correct, so for me it was funner to drive. The lack of visibility in the camaro isnt that bad, you just have to adjust to it and use your mirrors more. It is also cheaper and if you dont want or need a supercharger you can have a lot of fun modding it to your liking.

I absolutely LOVE the front end of the Shelby, so aggressive and just screams "bad ass" and the car is more exclusive. The side profile and back end are boring to me. The camaro looks great as well but have been seeing alot more on the road obviosuly and with the body kit it makes the car look too boxy, thats my only hang up besides the interior which is too retro for my taste.

Here is a bit from the Inside Line article:

"The GT500's body motions are tied down with firmer suspension underpinnings than either the Camaro or the SRT8. The Shelby's well-weighted, responsive steering loads up predictably as you approach the apex and squeeze the throttle for the exit.

With a muted blower whine, the tail steps out progressively. It's easy to catch, and you can stand on the gas out of the corner in absolute confidence that the blue tinge of wheelspin will stay behind you. There are exaggerated ride motions at the rear induced by the live axle, yet the Shelby setup dispenses with much of the bump-sensitive loss of traction. This tail-out technique isn't the fastest way through a corner, but it's the most fun and the GT500 makes it so bloody easy. Besides, the SRT8 and SS are struggling to keep up.

The GT500's trump card is in its linearity. While the Camaro goes wayward beyond seven-tenths and the Challenger's talents are drizzled with apathy, the Shelby remains precise all the way up to — and past — the limit of the tires' adhesion. That it's sized right and you can actually see out of the thing only makes it easier to exploit its abilities. For a car of its mass, the GT500's control feel is astonishing and cements the conclusion that the GT500 is the most engaging car in our test...
The amount of performance and ability Chevrolet has stuffed into the Camaro's fire-sale price tag is tremendous. Driven in anger, its handling is so benign that it is almost totally foolproof, yet it feels slightly inert. It is miles more alive than the Challenger, but the Camaro ultimately lacks the honesty — and killer instinct — of the GT500. If you can deal with the functional compromises forced by its styling and can't manage the scratch for the Shelby, you won't be disappointed by the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS...One of the surprises of this test has been the evolution of the GT500 so comprehensively beyond its previous generation. GT500 owners receive exactly what they're paying extra for. More speed, more sound, more precision and best of all more personality. The 2010 Ford Shelby GT500 is a far more purposeful driver's car than either the Chevy or the Dodge, and doesn't ask for much in return. Yes, it's a $50,000 Mustang that is worth the price of admission."

I am still torn, either aslightly used GT500 or a new camaro...decision decisions.
AgsWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
wait for the z28?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
thejoker1232

thanks everyone for your time and your thoughts
Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
With all the MPG demands id like to see an 80s turbo V6 explosion again where one could easily pick the V6 with out question.

But that would means another short era of the V8 being frowned upon for them to let the V6s catch up in power.

Think of the GNs, GNX, TTA but more modern.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote