Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #1
KB2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Launch control - "dump clutch"..really?

I watched the sticky video of the launch control in this forum, and the gentleman doing the show said it will regulate your RPM's to certain amount based on your vehicle, and then poof, dump the clutch and she goes...

Isnt that a little dangerous/harsh on the vehicle? Won't something break? Don't peoples clutch pedals get stuck when that happens?

And by dump the clutch, are we talking a controlled, quick release of the pedals? Or literally, foot all the way down, mash gas, and move foot to the side and let the spring slam the pedal back up?
KB2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Nope, but it doesn't work well. You can get better launches if you know how to drive. If you try out launch control make sure that when you dump the clutch you do it as fast as possible or you will glaze your clutch. Trust Me I know!
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
BA-Jackpot

Drives: 2 SS Camaro white/ Orange stripes
Either way you cant win. Anyway you do it , the clutch will get stuck on some cars. And the new Bulletin from GM says it is the customers fault that the clutch is sticking because of slipping the clutch in launch mode thus warping the pressure plate.. When if fact the clutch pedal sticking is what causes the problem. That may be why no one has replied to your question.
BA-Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
KB2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thanks for the responses...Anyone else have any comments?

Has anyone used their launch ctrl in this manner? Any feedback on how it performed?

Thanks
KB2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
BA-Jackpot

Drives: 2 SS Camaro white/ Orange stripes
"Stomp", or push the throttle pretty quickly. All at once to the floor. If you move it slowley, it will rev past the holding point. First time I tried it, I slowly pushed the throttle thinking it stop climbing at a certain point, it didnt.
Next time I tried, After researching, I pushed the pedal all the way down in one smooth motion. The RPMs will hold at 4200 RPM.
I already had the clutch all the way to the floor and transmision in first before I pressed the gas. Then you are ready to launch, Dump the clutch. Again this is letting it out in one smooth motion, do it quickly,, so it dont slip.
Tha car will take off with just a little spin. Then the computer starts to get the most torque/HP as it can to the road without spinning the tires.
After you do this, Your clutch may stick to the floor at a later date when you take off a little agressive. If it does you will know. But be prepared when you take it to the dealer. They will tell you its your fault, because you let the clutch slip in launch mode and warped the pressure plate. They even have a buleitin that says it.If it does it again, bring it back in.
BA-Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
I used the Launch Control on my SS. The damn thing worked well given the circumstances.

I was leaving a job site and I had maybe 100ft between where I was turning right on to a feeder road and the entrance to the freeway where I needed to be 4 lanes across in rush hour traffic in Houston. Needless to say I set up launch control and dumped the clutch (from fully depressed then immediate and drastic release) and let the computer modulate the power while I worried about not being hit.

Worked quite well. May not be the fastest possible way but it is consistent. So you lose 2 tenths, in normal driving who cares? Now on the track... yeah forget launch control.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:02 AM   #7
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFly03 View Post
I used the Launch Control on my SS. The damn thing worked well given the circumstances.

I was leaving a job site and I had maybe 100ft between where I was turning right on to a feeder road and the entrance to the freeway where I needed to be 4 lanes across in rush hour traffic in Houston. Needless to say I set up launch control and dumped the clutch (from fully depressed then immediate and drastic release) and let the computer modulate the power while I worried about not being hit.

Worked quite well. May not be the fastest possible way but it is consistent. So you lose 2 tenths, in normal driving who cares? Now on the track... yeah forget launch control.
lmao at your story...

"Hmmm, scratches head watching cars zip by in rush hour at 5mph...Robin, fasten your seat belt, going to engage launch mode..."

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
I have tried the full Launch Control and found it to be less than satisfying when used as directed. Now I just tap the launch control 2 times quickly and rev to 3000 and leave on the last yellow light. Do not side step the clutch pedal and let it snap up on it's own. Just lift your clutch foot up quickly. A little chirp and away you go! It works good and you can clip off respectable times. Not the sexiest or fastest way possible but a safe and reasonably fun way to hook it.

-Mark.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB2010 View Post
Isnt that a little dangerous/harsh on the vehicle? Won't something break? Don't peoples clutch pedals get stuck when that happens?

And by dump the clutch, are we talking a controlled, quick release of the pedals? Or literally, foot all the way down, mash gas, and move foot to the side and let the spring slam the pedal back up?
It's all computer controlled. And tested...or they wouldn't equip a car that's warrantied for 100,000 miles with such a system.

By "dump", we mean literally "drop the hammer", LET GO. The computer will take it from there by modulating rpms via the traction control/torque management systems you almost never notice. It's very counter-intuitive -- as your noticing yourself...we were all taught to NEVER drop the clutch like that or else things break. This is not the case with launch control on the Camaro, though.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
SuperFly03

Drives: 2010 Kona Blue GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
lmao at your story...

"Hmmm, scratches head watching cars zip by in rush hour at 5mph...Robin, fasten your seat belt, going to engage launch mode..."

Was going against the grain so traffic was moving full speed.

You've been Thread Jacked by SF03!
Current Car: 2010 Kona Blue Shelby GT500 M6
Previous Car:
2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Two Back: 2007 Black Shelby GT500 M6
SuperFly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
I have NEVER used the "LAUNCH" mode, yet the GM bulletin states: The clutch might stay to the floorboard IF it isn't released fast when using the "LAUNCH" mode. FUNNY (OR NOT) that my clutch stuck to the floor 3 times and SMOKED the clutch instead of a little burn-out I was TRYING to do. JUNK PARTS made for a Vega.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
i agree Jeff, i also never used launch control yet. my clutch was horrible stuck alot when just driving the car and it made me look as if i was just learning on how to drive manual. Then the slave cyl,t/o goes and they just replace the bearing and tell me the hydro. fluid is supposed to be black lol.

5k miles after the repair my t/o goes again and ruined my clutch. Chevy thought i was launching the car to the moon with all the questions they asked me i laughed and said i never ever used launch control and Never drove the wheels off the car. They gave me a new clutch kit and said they replaced the fluid. I go home and check the fluid and its black. Not just Black but also with lots and lots of black particals i believe from the clutch. I flush out the system again till no more junk and its clear. Now very soon im gonna launch the car all the time cause i want to see how my tranny holds.

Im always checking the hydrolics and in about 2 weeks its starts getting dull in color why does this happen????
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
You guys are riding the clutch too much.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
Milk thats great you sound like a dealer, Ive been driving stick since i first learned to drive and i dont know if your car ever had these symptoms but mine did and these are my experiences. So stop implying that i cant drive a clutch.

oh i learned manual at 16 or 17 im now 36.
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote